Top Six Scandals
By: Anna Filicetti
Aaron Schock (Republican/House of Representatives)
- He campaigned, got money from doing so, and used that money that he earned for his own personal uses.
- Because of the campaigning issue there were weeks of allegations, and eventually he resigned short after.
- Along with him his senior advisor, Benjamin Cole, had also resigned for inappropriate, and racist comments/posts he had made.
Senator Thaddeus McCotter (Democrat)
- He and four of his staff resigned because of false signatures.
- Paul Sewald
- Don Yowchuang
- Mary N. Turnball
- Lorraine O'Brady
- When he was campaigning for his 2012 reelection, and on his petitions there were fake signatures.
- Although he never ended up being charged for the actions that were made.
Senator Mike Crapo (Republican)
- December 23, 2012 he broke the law of no drinking while driving.
- He was arrested because of his actions and pleaded guilty in Virginia Court .
- Sentenced to 180 days in prison, but he ended up serving none.
- He had to pay a fine of 250 dollars.
Trey Radel (Republican/House of Representatives)
- Arrested October 29, 2013 in Washington D.C for possession of cocaine
- He bought the drug from an undercover law enforcement officer
- As a first time offender he pleaded guilty
- He was sentenced to one year in probation and a $250 fine.
- Along with this he had gotten treatment and left office for a while to treat his substance abuse addiction
Jesse L. Jackson. Jr (Democrat/House of Representatives)
- Jesse used $750,000 in campaign money to buy personal items like fur coats, interior, taxidermy, and other things.
- Much like Aaron Schock
- His wife Sandi pleaded guilty along with him for filing false income tax statements.
Senator John Ensign (Republican)
- Resigned May 3rd, 2011 right before he was accused by the Senate Ethics Committee of having a sexual affair with Cynthia Hampton.
- In May 2012, aid Doug Hampton reached the plea deal with prosecutors.
- This became the John Ensign Scandal