154th Issue, August 18, 2023
August 22 - First day of School!
August 29 - 6th grade parent/guardian informational meeting at Camp Wyman
August 30 - Hixson Band plays at Cardinals game, 1:15 pm
September 4 - Labor Day, No School
September 11 - Late Start Day, school starts at 9:25 am
September 27 - Changing by the Minute documentary screening, 6pm
September 25 - Late Start Day, school starts at 9:25 am
Bring school supplies to Open House so students can put them in their locker, or on the first day of school. Cinch sacks are no longer required. Please choose a reasonably sized back that fits your student's needs for school.
Ensure that we have the most updated emergency contact info, phone, text, and email for your family!
We are excited to announce that we adopted a new form of school-to-home communication at Webster Groves School District called ParentSquare.
This unified communications platform is designed to keep parents and guardians informed and encourage greater engagement and connection with us. It provides a safe way for parents, teachers, school leaders and the district to:
Send and receive school and class information
Share pictures and files
See calendar items
Sign up to volunteer
Schedule parent-teacher conferences
and much more, all in one centralized place!
Signup is not required to receive communication from the district, school or teachers.
Learn more about ParentSquare here
Arrival and Dismissal Procedures
Due to the upcoming construction of the new Moss Field, we will no longer have access to Moss Field or the Moss Field parking lot as of August 22, 2023. This closure will last for the duration of the 2023-2024 school year. Due to this closure, please understand that the Moss Field parking lot will not be accessible during arrival or dismissal times. It is possible that there will be a small two way drive opened up along the far eastern end of the Moss Field parking lot, but not until the second semester of the school year. As a result, please read the following information very carefully and review the attached map for a visual representation of how to map out your route for arrival and dismissal.
Arrival - Dropping off on Main Entrance lot
- To access Hixson during morning arrival from southbound Elm, please turn left or east on Glendale, left into the Rec Center lot, left on Ambrose, and make a right into the Main Entrance parking lot that faces Elm.
- Please remember, you cannot turn left onto Ambrose from Elm between 8:00 AM and 8:30 AM. This is a city ordinance, and you can be ticketed by the Webster Groves Police Department for violating this ordinance.
Arrival - Dropping off on North side of the building (facing Hwy. 44)
- To drop off in the circle drive on the north side of the building during morning arrival, turn into the Hixson driveway from Colebrook, and then proceed to drop off in the circle drive.
- The drop off location in the circle drive on the north side of the building is on the sidewalks along the circle drive. Students should not exit your vehicle in the middle of the parking lot and walk across traffic to access the building. This is not safe.
- To access Hixson during dismissal from southbound Elm, please turn left onto Glendale from Elm, left into the Webster Recreation Center lot, left on Ambrose, and make a right into the Main Entrance parking lot that faces Elm.
- If you are coming from the south Glendale Ave. to pick up your child, please enter the Webster Groves Recreation Center lot from Glendale, then make a left on Ambrose and a right into the Main Entrance lot.
- During dismissal, parents/guardians should follow the car line making sure to close any gaps in front of you. We will have an additional buses this year, so we will not have the space to maneuver cars around other cars that refuse to move up and follow the line. Please keep the line moving, and know that your student will find your car in line.
I would like to thank you in advance for your patience with our arrival and dismissal procedures as we adapt to the dynamics of construction on our campus. Please let us know if you have any questions.
Hixson Spirit Wear is now on sale! Proceeds will help students in need go to Camp Wyman!
Please read the handbook in it's entirety and reach out to your student's grade level principal if you have any questions.
Hixson Middle School Attendance Procedures
How do I report attendance?
- You can call 314-963-6450 to report an absence, early dismissal, and/or late arrival.
- You can email email@example.com to report an absence, early dismissal, and/or late arrival.
- Please follow the prompts to get to the correct person.
To whom should I report my attendance?
- Students with a last name that starts with A-L will report absences, early dismissals, and/or late arrivals to Mrs. Ramay.
- Students with a last name that starts with M-Z will report absences, early dismissals, and/or late arrivals to Ms. Hicks.
- Parents should not enter the building to sign their student in.
- Park in front of the Main Entrance in front of the Library.
- Your student should enter the building and come to the Main Office to sign in.
- After signing in, your student will be given a pass to class.
- Please let us know as early as you possibly can if you need to pick your student up early. This will give us plenty of time to locate your student and get them out to your car. If you wait until the last minute, then please expect to wait 15 minutes or possibly more for us to locate your student and get them outside to your car.
- If you need to pick your student up early, please do so by 2:50 pm. Any early dismissal request made after 2:50 pm will be asked to wait until 3:25 pm. Early dismissal processes are not to be used to get ahead of the regular dismissal traffic.
- Parents should not enter the building to sign their student out.
- Park in front of the Main Entrance in front of the Library.
- Call us at 314-963-6450 and follow the prompts to get to the correct administrative assistant according to your last name.
- Your student will be called to the Main Office, and if you gave us plenty of notice, then your student will already be waiting for you.
- Your student will sign out on a Chromebook, exit the Main Office, and walk out to your car.
- Your student will not be dismissed to anyone who is not in SIS.
Presentations from March to the Middle: Parent Edition
1:1 Technology at Hixson
Chromebooks will be distributed during the first two weeks of school to students whose parents/guardians have completed online registration, paid the Chromebook Insurance fee of $25, and paid any fines on accounts from the previous school year, if applicable. Payment for insurance will be found in the registration portal with an external link to Revtrak, our online payment system. Click the link at the top of this newsletter to complete online registration.
Chromebook insurance covers the FIRST incidental damage to your Chromebook, case or charger. Please note, this year we have no access to loaner devices. Please remind your child to take the best care of their equipment as possible, charge their device every night, and keep the Chromebook in it's protective case at all times. Remember that the device issued to your child is for school use. Devices should not be used by or loaned to anyone other than your child.
Student schedules are now live. For directions on how to view your child’s schedule, please click HERE.
If you have questions about your child’s schedule and/or would like to request a change in elective classes, please complete the appropriate form below. Please note that many classes are full and we therefore will not be able to accommodate all requests.
An administrator or counselor will do our best to respond within 24 business hours. We appreciate your patience as we respond to requests made while also participating and leading back-to-school professional development.
Please note, your student's team assignment will either say B, I, or U. B stands for Team Bravery, I stands for Team Integrity, and U stands for Team Unity.
To contact your grade level team:
6th grade administrator: Ben Flunker; firstname.lastname@example.org
6th grade counselor: Scharma Banks; email@example.com
7th grade administrator: Mike Hazelton; firstname.lastname@example.org
7th grade counselor: Emily Bardot; email@example.com
8th grade administrator: Aimee Vogt; firstname.lastname@example.org
8th grade counselor: Constance West; email@example.com
Camp Wyman Informational Meeting
Click here to sign up to ride the shuttle bus service. Space is limited, so act fast!
School Pictures - Make Ups & Retakes - Oct 2, 2023
Picture make-up/retake day will be October 2, 2023. The portal for pre-orders is now open! Wagner has moved to 100% paper-free ordering! Any family that does not have online access may call our convenient toll-free number to place an order over the phone!
ONLY ONLINE ORDERS WILL BE ACCEPTED.
(Please do not bring checks, cash, or order forms to school as they will no longer be accepted.)
Online Pre-Order Password: 2D2Q5T9S
Can’t order online or have other questions? We are happy to help! 314-567-5900
Changing by the Minute Documentary Screening-Save the Date!
Team & Department Newsletters
updated every 2 weeks
O'Brien (ELA), Childress (ELA), Lopez (SS), Meyer (Science), Gulve/Skoglund (Math), Cochran (SSD)
Reyes, Garcia, Pangelinan, Downey, Hennekes, Hake, McMahon, Cochran, Walters, Maguire, Mullin, McGuire
Mahacek (Band 6), Stevison (Band 7/8), Tokos (Band 7/8), Grubb (Orchestra), Pursley (Choir & Music Discovery), Hannel (Art), Conners (Drama)
Schroeder (Gifted Social Studies), Wetter (Gifted Social Studies), Reichold (Gifted Fine Arts), Marks (Gifted Fine Arts)
Warneke (Spanish), Norman (Spanish), Hudson (German & World Languages), Spangler (German), Nazemi (French)
Burton (FACS), Hertlein (FACS), Hayes (Sustainability), Davis (Makerspace & Robotics), Mason (Computer Science), Kramer (Engineering), Doner (Industrial Tech), Rachal,R. (Digital Multimedia Arts & Thrive, Jr.)