April 8, 2018
1. Smile and greet each student every day.
2. Avoid the use of sarcasm.
3. Reteach behavioral expectations if needed.
4. Forgive students when they mess up.
5. If you notice a student is unhappy, ask questions.
6. Keep snacks in your drawer in case a student really needs something to eat.
7. Give lots of praise and feedback to your students.
8. Refrain from sitting at your desk while students are in the room.
9. Pay close attention to your students at recess. Look for students who are alone.
10. Try the “2 x 10” strategy for the students you don’t know much about or for those with whom you have trouble making a connection. Spend 2 minutes a day for 10 days having a relationship-building conversation. Talk about life outside of school, dreams, likes, and dislikes.