News from Mint Valley Elementary School
November 2023, Issue 1
Upcoming Dates - Mark Your Calendars!
- 11/1-11/3 - Elementary Conference Days
- 11/1 - Early Release - 3 Hour - 12:30 pm
- 11/2-3 - NO SCHOOL (full student release days)
- 11/7 – Picture Day
- 11/8 - PTO Meeting - 5:30 pm
- 11/8 - Early Release - 2:30 pm
- 11/9 – Veteran’s Day Assembly - 9:30 am (Veterans and families, only please)
- 11/9 - Wear Brown Day
- 11/10 - NO SCHOOL (Veteran's Day Observance--THANK YOU, VETS!)
- 11/15-17 - Rotary Book Give-a-way
- 11/15 - Early Release - 2:30 pm
- 11/16 - Wear White Day
- 11/16 – 4th Grade Level Parent Night - 5:00-6:30 pm
- 11/22 - Early Release - 2 Hour - 1:30 pm
- 11/23-24 - NO SCHOOL (Thanksgiving Break)
- 11/23 - Happy Thanksgiving!
- 11/29 - Early Release - 2:30 pm
- 11/30 - Wear Pink Day
- 12/1 - Mustang of the Month Assembly - 12:45 pm
- 12/5 - Picture Make-Up Day
- 12/6 - Early Release - 2:30 pm
- 12/7 - Winter Music Program (grades 3-5 only) - 1:30 & 7:00 pm
- 12/8 - PTO Winterfest Activity - 4:00-6:00 pm
- 12/13 - Early Release - 2:30 pm
- 12/15 - PTO Free Hot Cocoa at recess
- 12/15 - All school holiday sing-a-long
- 12/15 - 2 Hour Early Release - 1:30 pm
- 12/18-1/2 - Winter Break - NO SCHOOL
Are you having attendance or tardiness issues?
Chronically tardy students are more likely to accept that absence altogether is tolerated, often leading to chronic absenteeism. This not only reflects poorly on the students and the school, but can affect their peers as well. Research has found that not only do students who are chronically tardy perform worse on their test scores, but so do their more prompt peers. The less time students spend in the classroom means the less they can contribute; often leading to class being disrupted, placing group and class projects on hold, and making less significant peer connections.
Good school attendance often starts with smaller steps, such as arriving and leaving on time. Some of the most important learning opportunities for students occur in the morning where they often participate in class huddles, morning announcements, and develop relationships with their peers.
If you are having a hard time getting your student to school on time, you are NOT alone! See below for some helpful hints:
Submit absences on the Longview Schools App!
Of course, you are always welcomed to call the school directly, as well, at (360) 575-7581.
FOR VACATION ABSENCES: The Mint Valley Elementary secretaries have a special form for families to use when they take their children out of school for vacation. It must be pre-approved (and with sufficient notice), by the principal and teacher so that homework is available and the absence has the least impact on the student's learning.
Monthly Trait of the Month!
Join us in celebrating the latest Mustangs of the Week!
4th grade parent night
Calling all 4th graders and their families!...
Thursday, November 16, 2023, from 5:00-6:30 pm
See you there!
Early release and no school....
We are so THANKFUL for our Mustang Family! Enjoy your time with family and friends!
KINDERS COLOR OF THE WEEK
Will you help our new kindergarteners learn their colors??
Each Thursday, the entire school (including bus drivers and staff!) are encouraged to wear ONE COLOR to help the kinders see the color of the week. Please join us by wearing a new color each Thursday!
Rotary Book Giveway - November 15-17, 2023
Veterans Day Assembly - November 9, 2023
To honor those who have served in our armed forces, we will have a special assembly on THURDAY, NOVEMBER 9th at 9:30 am. This assembly is by invitation only for those who have been previously identified by families.
THANK YOU TO ALL OUR WONDERFUL VETERANS!
Next PTO Meeting
Wednesday, Nov. 8th, 5:30pm
WOULD YOU LIKE TO VOLUNTEER IN OUR SCHOOL?
In order to volunteer in our school, you must be approved by the district office's CHAMPS program. The application process is usually a short turnaround time. The entire application is now online and can be found here: https://www.longviewschools.com/family-resources/volunteerget-involved.
Please contact our volunteer coordinator, Terri Troy, at (360) 575-7599 or email@example.com if you have any questions about the application or volunteer opportunities.
Pick-up and Drop-off
Drop off and Pick up
- School Starts at 9:00 am. Gates open at 8:35 am.
- Morning drop-off gates are open from 8:30 AM – 9:00 AM.
- Everyone dropping off students before school should be using the drive-thru gate area on the north end of campus.
- Students arriving at school after 9:00 am need to check in at the office
- End of the school day.
- 3:30 pm on Mon., Tues., Thurs., & Fri.
- 2:30 pm on Wed.
Drive-Thru Gates will be open
- 3:15PM – 3:45PM ~ M T Th F
- 2:15PM – 2:45PM ~ W
The back gate to the apartments will be open from 8:45 am to 9:00 am in the morning and from 3:30 pm to 3:45 pm in the afternoon.
All other walkers will exit campus at the gate near the main office. For everyone's safety, all students should use the sidewalk on 38th ave. when arriving and departing school. The crossing guards are there to help ensure everyone stays safe.