HSSD Family Newsletter | February 24, 2022 | Vol 1, Issue 6
Welcome back to The Compass!
In this issue:
- A Message from Superintendent LaCroix
- Student Snapshots: Lauren Nickels and Brooke Weyenberg
- Alumni Making Waves: Tyler Gerrits, Bay Port 1998, Returns Home
- And much more!
We are excited to share stories and news with you and we welcome your ideas for future issues.
From the Board of Education Meeting February 14, 2022
- The Board recognized Bay Port One Act Play for their state competition honors.
- The Board held a public hearing regarding a waiver request from the DPI regarding hours of instruction.
- Community input included feedback regarding the DPI waiver and support groups for minority students.
- The Board approved Ends Policy E-1 Graduate Profile: Critical Thinker, Solutionist monitoring report.
- The Board received a Teaching and Learning informational update on the topic of assessments.
- The Board approved a resolution for the DPI waiver of hours of instruction.
- The Board approved Governance Process GP-10 Conflict of Interest monitoring report.
- The Board debriefed recent linkage meetings with students and staff and planned for upcoming linkage meetings with legislators and business leaders.
For upcoming meeting dates, agendas, and prior meeting minutes, visit the Board of Education page on our website.
At HSSD, our students are learning from the book The 7 Habits of Happy Kids by Sean Covey. In each edition of The Compass, the Student Services team will share a topic for families to reflect upon. Learn more about Social Emotional Wellness on our website.
Live the 7 Habits: Habit 5 - Seek First to Understand, Then to be Understood
Why is listening important to a family? The following activity allows your family to discuss how each way of listening makes the speaker feel. Get into two groups and role play the following forms of listening:
- Ignore what the other person is saying.
- Pretend to listen to the other person (but don’t really pay attention).
- Listen to select parts of what is being said.
- Listen while planning to reply.
- Interrupt with your own ideas.
Once you have completed the activity, brainstorm a family list of great listening skills and put them into practice!
- February 25: No School
- March 7: Bay Port NHS Banquet
- March 8: Bay Port Jazz Ensembles Concert
- March 10-12: Bay View Musical
- March 10: Meadowbrook Spring Concerts
- March 11: No School / Professional Development
- March 14: Bay Port Mid-Winter Blues Concert
- March 15: Meadowbrook Spring Concerts
- March 15: District Orchestra Festival
- March 22: District-Wide Band Concert
- March 29-April 1: Spring Recess
Community Engagement Survey Open Until March 7
Copies of the HSSD Community Engagement Survey are arriving in mailboxes this week. They survey can be complete online, or returned to School Perceptions, an independent research firm, with the enclosed postage prepaid envelope. Thank you in advance for your participation!
Bay View Musical Performances March 10-12
Bay View will present Newsies March 10-12 in the Bay View Auditorium. This high energy show will have you dancing in your seats. Tickets are going fast. Purchase tickets here. Show dates and times:
Thursday, March 10 at 7 p.m.
Friday, March 11 at 7 p.m.
Saturday, March 12 at 1 p.m.
Saturday, March 12 at 6 p.m.
The Giving Tree Taste of the Villages and Auction
We are excited to announce that the 14th Annual Taste of the Villages and Auction will take place in person April 21 at 1951 West - The Rock Garden. Learn more about the event and donation opportunities.
HSSD Job Opportunities
We are now accepting applications for the following support staff vacancies. Apply on the Wisconsin Education Career Access Network (WECAN).
Benefits and Wellness Specialist
Student Services Shuttle Driver
Level 1 End User Support Specialist - IT District-wide
Meadowbrook Special Education Aide
Bay Port School Nutrition
HSBPA Event to Raise Funds for Scholarships
The Howard-Suamico Business Professionals Association (HSBPA) is hosting its annual fundraiser on March 9 from 6-9 p.m. at Townline to raise scholarship funds for Bay Port seniors. The event is presented by Fox Communities Credit Union, Townline Pub & Grill, and HSBPA. Learn more here.
Mental Health Series Event March 10: Your Choice Prevention-Wake Up Call
This event will take place from 6-7:30 p.m. at Bay View. Click here to register and to see a listing of all Mental Health Series Events this semester.
About the Event: The Wake Up Call presentation provides practical information on current drug trends, a walk-through of a teen’s bedroom with more than 20 red flags that could indicate substance abuse, and proactive parenting strategies to keep your child substance free.
Ms. Guzman Featured
Ms. Steph Guzman, HSSD English Language Learner teacher, was featured in the Post Crescent article called, "'Home is here': Northeast Wisconsin's surge in diversity forged by opportunities, grit and an inclusive vision." Read story.
Dance Takes First in Kick
HSSD Students Win DKG Writing Competition
100th Day of School
Army National Guard First Sergeant Tyler Gerrits, Bay Port Class of 1998, recently completed an 11-month deployment in Iraq. His children, Quinn and Quaid didn't know dad was home until he surprised them during a fire drill at Meadowbrook Elementary on February 1, 2022. View the video of the reunion with dad below.
Twenty-five years ago, on March 1, 1997, Jay Van Laanen made history, becoming Bay Port’s first three-time state champion in wrestling. He ended his high school career with an impressive 150-12 record. After the state tournament, an all-school pep assembly was held in his honor.