PH & SB News!
South Bay District News for the week of Oct. 17th
South Bay Art
Girls & Boys Basketball
Upcoming Author's Festival
2022 Children's Author Festival at South Bay School on October 20
(from their website: www.authorfest.org)
After skipping the last Author Festival due to Covid, it is back at South Bay School this year! Starting in 1975, the Humboldt County Children’s Author Festival has brought 25 authors from all around the country to Humboldt County every two years. These authors inspire, delight, and encourage a love for books and reading for thousands of children while visiting approximately 60 schools during their four days in Humboldt County.
The visiting author at South Bay School on October 20 will be Barry Deutsch, who adapted the first five novels from the popular Wings of Fire series to graphic novels. He also wrote an award-winning graphic series of his own called Hereville which has three books.
In addition to providing the school visits, the Author Festival hosts a popular book sale and author event at the main library on Saturday, October 22, where students and their families can meet the authors and have books signed. The library buzzes with excitement as students interact with the author celebrities.
Funded primarily by the generous support of local businesses and organizations, the biennial festival is produced by a dedicated group of librarians, educators, and community members who volunteer their time, talent, and energies to bring this fun, upbeat event to enrich our local schools.
Site Council/Charter Council
- provide an open forum for discussing educational issues
- provide an opportunity for interaction by parents, teachers, and administrators
- foster the importance of decision-making at the site level
- contribute to each site's Plan for Student Achievement
- assist in defining educational needs and problems
If being a part of our school's site councils intrigues you, please reach out to Heather Becksted at South Bay. Your interest in this important school team is greatly appreciated!
Menus will be covered in two-week sections, due to supply chain issues. The kitchen wants to ensure that we can provide the meals on our menu, so planning for shorter periods is necessary. Neither South Bay nor Pine Hill provide microwaves for students to use in the cafeteria, so please pack ready-to-eat meals.
**Remember school breakfast & lunch is free for ALL students, regardless of home income. **
Family Resource Center
Get familiar with what the FRC has to offer! Stop by or call us at 707-445-5933.
- Parent Support Group will be starting up Friday, September 2 from 8:30-9:30 in the Pine Hill FRC.
- First Five sponsored Playgroup will be starting up Tuesday, August 30, from 9:30-11:30 in the Pine Hill FRC.
- Costco Diapers Sizes 1-5 Available.
- Backpacks and School Supplies Available
- We will start sign-ups for our Friday Food Bag list soon. If you'd like a bag of food sent home with your student every Friday call and let us know!
- We are open for drop-ins at Pine Hill in the FRC and at South Bay in Room 17 Mon-Fri 8:00-4:00.