Newell Family Sunday Message 09/24
September 24th, 2023
We had a great week of learning at Newell! Reminder, as the weather is getting cooler, we encourage and appreciate all our families who are writing names in their student's jackets and coats. That helps us get items back to the owners when they are left behind. Thanks to all who have sent back your Parent Teacher Conference forms. And yes, we are planning to reschedule movie night, but boy we are thankful for the rain!
- Mr. Balcom
Photo of the Week
Introducing our AMAZING Newell Cafeteria Team! Gladys, Livy, and Robin cook for and feed our 350+ Knights breakfast and lunch daily! They truly are superheroes and their laugher and good cheer is contagious!
Please note that students who are not in their classroom at or before 8:00am are marked tardy. Please make every effort to get your child to school on time. All students arriving after 8:00am must enter through door #1 and check in with our secretary before heading to class.
What are these snacks my child is talking about?
Newell is once again participating in the Fresh Fruit and Vegetable snack program. Every Tuesday and Thursday all students will receive a free sampling of a fruit or vegetable to try as a small snack. We are hoping to expose our students to new foods and encourage healthy snacking. Ask your child what they tried!
Elks Club Soccer Shoot Results
Newell hosted the Elks Club Soccer Shoot last week. Several of our Knights are recognized below for their achievement:
- Yuliza Serrano - 2nd Place in her age group.
- Daria Harun - 3rd Place in her age group.
- George Garcia for participating.
- Oliver Krone - 3rd Place in his age group.
- Fatima - 2nd Place in her age group.
- Makarim Abdullzanm - 6th Place in his age group.
Book Blast Update
Thanks again to all who participated in Book Blast. Books and prizes will be shipped to us in the coming weeks!
It's Back... Morning Walking Track
Before the weather gets too cold we are bringing back the Morning Walking Track. It will only be Mondays and Thursdays for now (opposite of Move-it Club) and of course students must eat breakfast first. Open to Grades 1st - 5th.
Freddy's Big Fundraiser
Freddy's has reached out in a BIG way to support Newell following the destruction of our playground equipment. They are donating 20% of ALL sales on Saturday October 14th and Sunday October 15th toward Newell activities (recess enrichment items/equipment/events). Spread the word and save the date!
GIYB Fall Extravaganza On-the-Go GBB Clinic 2023
This is a biannual event held for girls grades 2nd-5th. There is no cost. This event is free. You are welcome to come to all sessions or just one session.
Grand Island Senior High Girls Basketball Staff and GIYB are excited to introduce, the bi-annual event, of the elementary school tour “on-the-go” clinic. These clinics will be hosted at all 13 local elementary schools. You are welcome to sign up to all of them or come for a few. The skills we will be working on are ball handling, rebounding, defense on and off the ball, lay-ups, set shooting, shooting on the move, finishing through defense, pivots, screens, and the LOVE for the game. If your daughter is in grades 2nd-5th please sign them up. Join us! Sign up here… https://forms.gle/akcV4yoy9Q7huk5B8
👥 Newell PTA Corner 👥
👥 Next PTA Meeting
Come meet and greet your Newell PTA and find out what we are all about!
Monday, October 16th at 7:00 pm at Newell.
PTA's mission is to make every child’s potential a reality by engaging and empowering families and communities to advocate for all children.
Your voice matters and we want you to be involved!
Click Here to Join: https://forms.gle/4KW6E9KYYnZN4PMaA
👥 Box Top for Education School
Did you know our school is a Box Top for education school? It’s super easy to help our school raise extra funds!
- Download the Box Top for Education app!
- Choose our school— A B Newell Elementary School
- Go grocery shopping!
- Scan every receipt just to make sure you’re not missing anything!
- Repeat steps 3&4 as often as you need to!
📆 Important Dates Coming Up 📆
Thursday October 5th
- Fire Prevention Day At Newell
Monday October 9th
- Parent Teacher Conferences and Book Fair 4pm to 7:10pm
Tuesday October 10th
- Parent Teacher Conferences and Book Fair 3:30pm to 6:40pm
Thursday October 12th
- No School For Students
- Parent Teacher Conferences and Book Fair 8am to 11:00am
Friday October 13th
- No School
Tuesday October 24th
- Newell PTA Family Night at Helgoth's Pumpkin Patch
This is the Way!
Enjoy these photos from last week!
Click to zoom in.
♻️ REPEATED MESSAGES ♻️
Important messages we've sent previously.
♻️ Students Who are Sick
Parents, there is a lot of illness going around. Please monitor your child for symptoms.
Description of Fever:
- A fever is a temporary increase in body temperature, usually caused by an illness.
- In most mild, two to five day, childhood illnesses, fever is lowest in the morning, rises in the afternoon, and will be the highest in evening and night. As the child begins to recover, morning temperatures will be normal with fever still present later in the day.
- Students with a temperature of 100 F or more may be sent home from school.
- Students may return to school when their temperature has remained below 100.0 for 24 hours without fever reducing medication.
♻️ Weather Updates and School Cancellations
Social media posts as well as a phone call, email or text message will inform you of urgent announcements and weather emergencies. Please be sure our office has your most current telephone and email information.
♻️ School Times:
A regular school day begins at 8:00am and dismisses at 3:05pm, Monday through Friday. Students may be dropped after 7:30am. Students must be picked up by 3:15pm.
Please make your child aware of his/her after school plan. If transportation or daycare plans change, please call the office so we can let your child’s teacher know. Thank you.
We start our school day right at 8:00am. It is VERY important that your child is in class ready to learn at 8:00. Breakfast is served from 7:30am to 7:50am. We are unable to serve students breakfast after 7:50am. If your child needs to eat breakfast at Newell, plan to have them on campus with enough time to get to our breakfast line by 7:50. Students arriving after 7:50 should go to their class lines.
♻️ Updates from GIPS Nutrition Services
- Meals: Breakfast and Lunch are served at school each day. Breakfast begins at 7:30am.
- Meal costs can be found HERE.
- Funds should be added to the student account through LINQConnect, or check or cash can be given to the cafeteria staff.
- Free and Reduced meal applications can be found on LINQConnect or picked up at the school office or the Kneale Administration building.
- Ala carte items may be purchased as long as students have money on account or in hand. Students are encouraged to select a meal first for the best nutrition.
ALL visitors need to check in at the office and wear given identification while in the school. All visitors must ring the buzzer at door #1. Our staff is busily working with students during the school day. If visiting Newell to speak with a staff member, you may be asked to make an appointment at a later time.
♻️ Birthday Treats:
Birthdays may be celebrated in each child’s classroom. Families are NOT required or expected to provide treats or gifts. However, if you want to offer treats, please provide healthy snacks that are individually packaged. Cupcakes, cookies, donuts, etc. will not be allowed.
♻️ Student Cell Phones:
As cited on page 34 of the GIPS Student Handbook:
"Students in grades Pre-K-5 are discouraged from bringing ECDs (Electronic Communication Devices) to school."
If you need to send an Electronic Communication Device with your student, the handbook states:
"Phones should be kept either turned off, or on silent following the rules specified by the classroom teacher."
At Newell students either keep their phones off or silent in their backpacks or they bring their phones to our secretaries in the office at the beginning of the day to keep them safe, also off or on silent. Note: your child will not be able to send or read messages or calls during the school day.
If you have questions please reach out to Mr. Balcom.
The full handbook is online here: https://www.gips.org/Page/105
Have an amazing week!
Nate Balcom- Principal
Heather Glause - Secretary
Cheryl Brax - Attendance Secretary
Jami White - Social Worker
Tiffanie Oswald - Nurse
Yolanda Seiler - Spanish Interpreter