Buckeye Junior High InfoBytes
Buckeye Library Mission Statement
August in Numbers
Google Resource Calendars
- Step-by-Step Guide Containing Buckeye Specifics on Subscribing to Calendars and Creating/Deleting Events
- researched based,
- aligned to the Common Core standards,
- created by teachers, for teachers
Each reading includes embedded text-dependent questions, teacher's guides, related media (including short video clips), and paired texts for further exploration of the theme/topic. Check out this video for more info ...
In this section, I will include links to all the newest, latest, and greatest in the world of Google. Much of this, is what is discussed in the Ohio Google Educator Group, which meets monthly to discuss all things Google Education, led by Eric Curts of SPARCC.
8/15/2016 - Hangouts on Air moving to YouTube Live - link
8/17/2016 - Add images to questions and answers in Forms - link
8/19/2016 - Chrome Web Apps to be phased out for Windows and Mac - link
8/24/2016 - National Parks added to Google Arts & Culture and Expeditions - link
8/25/2016 - New Google Hangouts Chrome extension experience - link
8/25/2016 - Play Solitaire and Tic Tac Toe in Google Search - link
8/29/2016 - New Chrome screen sharing option for Hangouts and more - link
8/29/2016 - Drive adds Document Details menu option for Docs, Sheets, and Slides - link
9/1/2016 - Google launches new Google Certified Trainer program - link
9/1/2016 - Lenovo to make Chromebook version of Yoga Book - link
9/6/2016 - Files uploaded to Drive will be deduplicated by default - link
9/6/2016 - Chrome improvements extend battery life by 2+ hours - link
9/8/2016 - Read&Write extension updates: screen masking, Slides support - link
9/12/2016 - Cardboard Camera now supports sharing VR photos - link
9/13/2016 - Natural History content added to Google Arts & Culture - link
9/14/2016 - New Expeditions for African American History - link
9/14/2016 - 2016 K12 Doodle for Google contest now open - link
9/15/2016- Google Photos 2.0 adds new album sorting options - link
9/15/2016 - British political history added to Google Arts & Culture - link
9/15/2016 - New Chromebooks may be more like tablets - link
INFOhio Resource Updates
Upcoming INFOhio Webinar:
Online Assessment Resource Forecast: Strong Gusts Become Easy Breezes - Finding the Best Resources for Your Learners (September 22, 2016 - 3:30p-4:30p EST - Recording will be made available for viewing shortly after the live session)
Are you blown away by the number of online formative testing tools available? Then join INFOhio Integration Librarian Brandi Young in this webinar to compare three of the most popular free options available: Formative, ExitTicket, and Edpuzzle.
- Which tool works best for each grade level and subject area
- The type of assessments each tool offers
- The pros and cons of each interface
- Which interface offers the most flexibility
You’ll come away from this webinar able to harness the power of online assessments to prepare students for online tests, easily monitor their progress, and help them soar through the school year.
Click Here to Register for this Webinar
Additional Online PD Opportunity
Become a Digital Learning Expert with the New Success in Six
The new Success in Six (success.infohio.org) is a self-paced online learning program that shows you the latest ways to use digital resources to support 1:1, blended learning, personalized learning, differentiation, and a host of other student needs. It is offered at no charge to any Ohio educator—teachers, librarians, tech coordinators, administrators —from INFOhio, Ohio's PreK-12 digital library.
Each module contains an overview to bring you up to speed on the topic and then guides you to sites and tools to explore more deeply. It finishes with activities that let you practice new skills.
You can complete one or all of the modules in any order:
- Develop Your Research Toolkit—Use online research to develop more than cut-and-paste skills. Use it to develop critical thinking, problem-solving, and communication skills by using the techniques in this module.
- Learn to Search Effectively—Are you tired of your students finding the top three hits on Google and calling it a search well done? Then try the techniques in this module to give them insider tips on more effective search techniques that will save them time and make them look like research experts.
- Discover High-Quality STEAM Resources—Ohio educators have access to thousands of diagrams, videos, virtual experiments, and articles that support science, technology, engineering, the arts, and math topics. Learn ways to incorporate them in the classroom with this module.
- Engage Your Students with Reading Resources—We all tend to skim when we read online, yet we ask our students to read more and take more tests online than ever before. This module gives you techniques for helping students read deeply and comprehend more using INFOhio's online text.
- Find Free Content for Your Blended or Flipped Classroom— Learn easy ways to integrate INFOhio’s free digital content into many learning management systems (LMS) for blended learning while developing new techniques to personalize learning for your students.
- Explore INFOhio’s Differentiation Tools—Discover innovative techniques for using digital tools to help students learn wherever they are and whatever their needs.
Complete a module to earn three contact hours, which most districts accept for CEU credit, and a digital badge. In addition, INFOhio's partner IdeaStream is offering Success in Six for graduate credit. For more information click here, or contact IdeaStream at Ann.Ebersole@ideastream.org.
WVIZ IdeaStream Updates
Instructional Resources for the Classroom:
WVIZ provides wonderful free resources you can use in your classroom including:
- PBS LearningMedia - Free Standards-Aligned Digital Resources
- PBS Kids - Learning games and shows for kids
- PBS Kids Lab - New ways to keep kids learning, anytime, anywhere
- News Depth - Connecting students to current events and learning standards
- NOTA - Interactive Distance Learning Video Network
- PBS Parents - Information and activities for parents to use with their kids
- IdeaStream - Free Streaming of shows from WVIZ and PBS
- Great Job! - Video series exploring science, technology, engineering, & math careers
- Quest Ohio - Exploring the science of sustainability
- Math Mess - Problems requiring number sense to solve
Professional Development Opportunities: