A Story of Baghdad
James Rumford grew up in Southern California. As an adult he joined the Peace Corps and spent time volunteering in Chad and Afghanistan. His first book was The Cloudmakers in 1996. He says he has always loved calligraphy from both China and Persia. This love of calligraphy combined with his experiences while in the Peace Corps and the war in Iraq are what inspired him to write the book Silent Music.
Silent Music by Pianosaxplayer
The book honors and celebrates diversity as well as common bonds in humanity
The book invites reflection, critical analysis, and response
The book has an appealing format and is of an endearing quality
Ali Playing Soccer
Ali likes to play soccer
Ali and His Friends
Ali plays soccer with these friends
Ali leaves messages to his dad on the mirror in the mornings.
Standard: CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RL.3.7 Explain how specific aspects of a text’s illustrations contribute to what is conveyed by the words in a story (e.g., create mood, emphasize aspects of a character or setting)
Objective: The student will explain how an illustration supports the text of a book.
- The teacher will show different illustrations to the class.
- The teacher will ask the class how these illustrations made them feel.
- Did they help create an image for the students.
- The teacher will discuss the importance of illustrations with the class.
- The teacher will read the book to class.
- The teacher will explain that the illustrations in the book represent Ali's culture.
- Have the students closely examine how the characters are dressed.
- Look at other details such as objects and background patterns.
- For the activity, each student will pick one illustration and explain why it is important in the story. (How does it convey feeling, would it be missed if it wasn't included, does it convey the Ali's culture)
- The students share with the class what they wrote about.
- The teacher will reiterate the importance of illustrations. Ask questions such as "Would you know what calligraphy looked like with out the pictures?" and "What did you learn about Ali's culture by looking at the illustrations?"