An Anesthesiologist Assistant is a highly skilled professional who works under the medical direction of an Anesthesiologist.The assistant works as an important member of the anesthesia care team.
The educational requirements to become an Anesthesiologist Assistant are..
- A bachelors degree with an emphasis in the sciences such as chemistry and also a completion of pre-medical school curriculum for admission to an anesthesiologist assistant program.
- A masters degree from an educational program including classroom and clinical work.
Existing and Potential Hazards
Types of hazards:
- Biological Hazards
- Mechanical Hazards
- Chemical Hazards
- Physical Hazards
- Personal Hazards
In a day to day practice for Anesthesiologist are exposed to to numerous pathogens that include bacteria, viruses, etc.
Wearing ordinary surgical face masks are not protective enough and exposes anesthesiologist to inhalation of toxic fumes, vapors, and gasses during the use of diathermy and laser.
These are not common hazards in the anesthesia practice but nevertheless can be potential source of injury and harm to the anesthesiologist at the workplace.
Ethical and Legal Issues
- The patient-physician relationship involves special obligations for the physician that include placing the patient’s interests foremost, faithfully caring for the patient and being truthful.
- Anesthesiologist should provide preoperative evaluation and care and should facilitate the process of informed decision-making, especially regarding the choice of anesthetic technique.
- Anesthesiologist should keep confidential patients medical and personal information.
Ethical Challenges encompass with a range of issues described by anesthesiologist, including patient wishes not honored, patient and family wishes conflict with medical judgement, patient decision-making capacity, and upholding professional standards.
Legal Issue: Anesthesia Malpractice can occur at any time during the surgical process. Because an Anesthesiologist's job is one that has zero room to for error and the fact that medical insurance premiums for anesthesiologist are the higher then other medical specialties.