Arts Magnet News!
August 22-26, 2022
Week 19 for Families and Community Dec. 19-23, 2022
The Last S'more of 2022!
Dear Altadena Eliot Arts Families,
It was our busiest week of the school year so far with 2 winter concerts, 1 gallery opening, 2 fifth grade shadow days, 1 performance for the PUSD Board of Education, 3 days of Peter Pan auditions and 1 winter formal, and a partridge in a pear tree :) Wow, I guess that's why I'm still in my jammies by the fireplace as I pen this final S'more of the 2022 calendar year!
I am filled with gratitude and joy this morning as I reflect on how far we've all come together in this past year and a half. Thank you to all our hard working staff from security guards, to custodians, to teachers, aides, office staff and the best two assistant principals in the world! It takes a lot of people behind the scenes to make things happen everyday for our students, and our team is the best. I call them the "All Star Cast."
And thank you parents! You've come alongside us as we dream, plan and build our beautiful K-8 span school for our kids. I think my favorite part of all of this is seeing 6th, 7th and 8th graders who were 5, 6 and 7 year olds when I first became principal at Altadena Arts thriving at Eliot Arts. They are dancing, singing, acting, painting, drawing, playing instruments and leading in student government. I also really love meeting the middle school students who are new to me and watching them blossom and grow.
Tomorrow at sundown marks the first night of Hanukah and of course Christmas is right around the bend. Next up is Kwanzaa on December 26 or maybe you celebrate the winter solstice. Whatever and however you celebrate, I wish you a restful and beautiful winter break. Please read on for what's up for this last week of school.
Coming Up this Week:
STAFF AND STUDENT SPIRIT WEEK FOR BOTH CAMPUSES Please see graphic below :)
- Monday - Offices will close at 1:30 pm.
- Tuesday -
- Makeup Peter Pan auditions for those who were called back for lead roles but were out sick at 3:15 pm at the middle school.
- Altadena LEARN's Winter Showcase 5-6 pm in the AAM auditorium
- Eliot LEARNs Winter Showcase Students have prepared delightful displays of their work and so much more! Come out and support our Eliot LEARNs program from 4:30 pm -- 5:45 pm in our school gym.
All are welcome!!!
- English Kindergarten makeup holiday performance @ 9am at the elementary campus.
- Eliot Annual Fund is having a meeting on Wednesday at 5:30. Please email email@example.com to join for the address.
- Last day of school. Elementary students released at 11:55 am and middle school students released at 1:00 pm.
- LEARNs program will still be in session.
- Parents please be on time picking up your children so our team can get home to their families.
School resumes Monday, January 9, 2023.
Reminder to middle school parents. We still have a dress code, please do not send students to school in pajamas. Order your Husky Wear by clicking on the live link. Turn in by Wed. Dec 14th for distribution Dec. 20th during their PE class AND please consider donating to our fabulous student store, The Husky Exchange. See the flyer below.
SAVE THE DATES:
Saturday, January 14 is Eliot Arts Discovery Day! From 9-11:30 am fifth grade students all across PUSD are invited to come spend time discovering our arts conservatory while working directly with our fabulous teaching artists. In the meantime, parents get to spend the morning with me on a backstage tour of our beautiful campus while getting all their questions answered. This event is free and open to all. Please register for Discovery Day here.
Be sure to purchase your tickets for our Eliot Annual Fund Tower Tour happening on January 14 from 4-6 pm. See flyer below!
Saturday, January 21 9-11 am, join us for our Design Team meeting in the Eliot Arts Library. This is a deep dive conversation into our One School, Two Campus Design. All are welcome to attend.
FYI, if you receive attendance notifications and have questions or concerns, please email Rosa Magdaleno at firstname.lastname@example.org for our elementary site or Felicia Lee at email@example.com for our middle school site.
Please visit our Middle School Attendance Corner:
I wish you a wonderful break!
Yours in Service,
Dr. Scheckel, Principal
Spirit Week for Students on Both Campuses!
Get your tickets today!
Join Us for Middle School Discovery Day!
Tell all your friends with 5th grade students both within and outside of PUSD to sign up for this inside look of our awesome middle school arts conservatory! RSVP at pusd.us/eliotartstours.
A full house at both concerts!
Peter Pan Auditions!
Click on the graphic to order your middle school yearbook today!
Middle School Lunch Bunch
2022-2023 Housing Survey!
The pandemic has exacerbated inequities in our community. The state of California estimated a 48% increase in students experiencing homelessness over the last decade and recent legislation (AB-27) was passed to provide expanded services in partnership with schools and other public agencies.
In order to ensure that our students who are impacted by housing instability receive appropriate services to support their learning needs, Pasadena Unified is conducting an annual housing survey.
Please visit the survey to complete this confidential survey by January 30, 2023. If you require a paper survey or alternative accommodations, please contact your school site or Pasadena Unified Families in Transition Office at 750 N. Los Robles Ave. Pasadena, CA 91104.
- Open Enrollment Dates for the 2023-24 school year are now posted on our website. All current PUSD families will receive a hard copy of the Open Enrollment calendar in the mail in mid-October, and we will send extras to your school sites in October.
- Sibling and Program Priority Registration applications go live online Oct. 24, 2022, 9AM - Nov. 14, 2022, 4PM.
From our Middle School PTSA President!
Hope all is well. The semester is coming to a close, but your PTSA is still busy.
Join us this week for the middle school music concert in the Eliot Arts Auditorium at 6:30. We will be selling hot dogs, chips and cookies and of course hoodies, sweats and Spirit wear will be for sale. Donations are appreciated.
Tis the Season to be Supporting your local Schools!
Support Eliot Arts MS every time you shop at Amazon by registering with Amazon Smile!
http://smile.amazon.com or https://org.amazon.com/npo/portal
PTSA is holding a Fundraiser at Pizza of Venice on Fair Oaks on 12/15/22. The food is great, so stop by.
Your PTSA is looking for more members.We still need a Treasurer and Chairmanship positions are available. Think about it.
On a personal note, please take care of yourselves. I have been under the weather for a while, not fun. Lots of bugs are floating around and they are easy to catch. Don't Let your guard down and ruin your holiday.
Eliot Arts PTSA President
"Many hands make light work"
Please consider making a recurring donation of $45 to one or both of our Annual Funds! Our annual funds help to create a bridge for special services and arts programs at each of our campuses. Our annual funds are separate. Altadena's annual fund is chaired by Ms. Tasiah LeConte and Eliot's annual fund is chaired by Ms. Wendy Silva. Please join their committees and consider making a donation today!
- 1 Eliot School Tour @ 8:30 am in the Auditorium
- 1 Peter Pan Parent Info Meeting @ 6pm in the Eliot Auditorium
- 5 Peter Pan Virtual Info Meeting via Google Meet at 4:30 pm
- 8 AAM School Tour @ 9am in the Parent Room
- 9 Shelter in Place Drills at both sites
- 10 Christmas Tree Lane Performance and 100 Year Celebration Time TBD
- 13, 14 & 16 Peter Pan Auditions 3:15-6:00 pm in the Eliot Auditorium
- 14 Middle School Instrumental Concert @ 6:30 pm in the Eliot Auditorium
- 15 K-8 Winter Show @ 9:00 am in the Eliot Auditorium
- 15 Choir sings at Board Meeting @TBD
- 15 Middle School Pizza of Venice FUNdraiser
- 17 Bethlehemilton presented by Eliot Arts and Harambee
- 18-26 Hannukah
- 22 Last Day of School, Elementary dismisses at 11:55 am and Middle School dismisses at 1:00 pm
- 23-January 8, 2023 Winter Break
- 9 School Resumes