North Scituate Elementary School
November 2020 Newsletter
A note from Mrs.Soccio
November is here and students are working hard each day at school despite many restrictions to their day. We have had some bumps in the weeks of October, but teachers have worked tirelessly to ensure successful transitions to and from distance learning. Thank you to our families for your flexibility and understanding during these challenging times. Distance learning would not be successful without your partnership at home. North Scituate looks forward to continuing our curriculum work this upcoming month, along with some school wide fundraisers and spirit days. Be sure to look at the important dates section at the bottom of this newsletter.
Teachers recently finished assessing students' academic levels to determine each child's strengths and instructional needs. Our grade level teams, including our talented specialists, analyzed student achievement data in order to effectively plan for instruction to meet the needs of all learners. During these meetings, teachers created instructional groupings designed to provide targeted skill instruction to students with similar strengths and needs. You will receive a letter if your child will receive targeted instruction from a specialist.
Please reach out with questions or concerns at any time. Happy November!
Kaitlin M. Soccio, Principal
- Students will be marked tardy if they arrive after 8:45am.
- Please keep in mind that students have outdoor recess. We encourage students to dress in layers and wear a coat to school.
- Chartwells is currently offering FREE meals for breakfast and lunch for the remainder of the school year.
- Students are not permitted to ride a bus other than their own.
- Free and Reduced Forms were sent home with students! If you are in need of another copy, please call our main office: 401-647-4110. All other questions should be directed to the Superintendent's Office: 647-4100.
- Please date notes that are sent to school with students. If you are writing a note about dismissal, please write the full name of the person picking up your child.
- Please call to notify the office if/when your child is absent.
Unity Day Snapshots
Positive Office Referrals
AMERICAN READING COMPANY COACHING SUPPORT
Teachers in grades 1-4 have on-going professional development to support the implementation of our literacy curriculum, American Reading Company. Virtual meetings allow for our district grade level teams to meet with our coach, Mariah! Recently, teachers met to prepare for the launch of Unit 2: Informational Research Lab. Another major focus area has been small group conference schedules based on students' Independent Reading Level Assessment. This work is all for our students!
Grade Level Highlights
SPECIAL DELIVERY FROM THE LIONS CLUB & SCITUATE POLICE DEPARTMENT!
Thank you to the Lions Club and Scituate Police Department for delivering Halloween goodie bags to our students!
Northwest Special Education
Northwest Special Education Local Advisory Committee meetings for the 2020-21 school year:
October 20, 2020
December 8, 2020
February 9, 2021
April 13, 2021
At this time, these meetings will be held virtually. Links to virtual meetings can be found on the Rhode Island Secretary of State's Open Meetings website at least 48 hours before the meeting date: https://opengov.sos.ri.gov/OpenMeetings.
11/03: No School (Professional Development Day)
11/04: Student Council Speeches
11/9-11/20: Food Drive
11/06: Halloween Parade Make Up
11/10: School Committee Meeting @ 7:00 p.m. (virtual)
11/11: Veterans Day- No School!
11/16: PD Day- Distance Learning Day for Students
11/18: PTO Meeting 7:30pm (virtual)
11/25-29: Thanksgiving Recess