Newsletter Communication for August 13, 2021
Our Starside Mission:
Through a collaborative learning community we will build a foundation upon which all students can develop essential academic and life skills.
Starside Important Notes and Reminders
We are off to a great start with the new school year! It sure was fun to have our families back in the building for Back to School Night! We had a great turn out and enjoyed seeing our students again. Teachers loved the staggered schedule which allowed them more time to meet and greet each student and their family as they came in the door.
PTA hosted their first event for kindergarten families called Coffee and Kleenex on our first half day of school. It too was a big success.
Mask wearing throughout the school went very well these first couple of days. Kids are already back in the groove and adapting nicely to wearing them again.
Please send your child with a reusable water bottle each day to be filled at the water stations as needed throughout the day. This cuts down on the usage of the water fountains therefore cutting down on germs.
Lastly, we are excited to announce that the Starside cafeteria is finished and open! Check out the picture of our new student dining experience! We are looking forward to next week and a full week of school. Enjoy the weekend!
In this edition of the Starside Newsletter you will find the following:
- Car Loop Reminders. Once students memorize their car tag numbers, the dismissal process will speed up dramatically. Any help at home helping your child memorize their number is helpful!
- Please reference 5th grade band information below. Band will be starting after Labor Day.
- Nurse's notes from Tara Brown are below.
- See below for information from PTA. This includes information on how to order spirit wear and different fundraising opportunities.
- Kindergarten families please consider filling out the ASQ. More details below.
Tips to Make Car Loop Successful
Save the Date
- Tuesday, 8/31 - PTA Spirit Wear orders due
- Monday, 9/6 - No School - Labor Day - District Closed
- Tuesday, 9/7 - PTA Meeting, 6 PM
- Wednesday, 9/8 - School Pictures
- Wednesday, 9/22 - 2 Hour Delayed Start - 10:45 AM
- Friday, 9/24 - Java with Jan - 9 AM
- Friday, 9/24 - Walk-A-Thon Kickoff (W-A-T paperwork goes home)
- Wednesday, 9/29 - Half Day K-8; Dismissal @ 12:10 PM; P-T Conferences 4:40 - 8:10 PM
- Thursday, 9/30 - No School for Students, P-T Conferences 10 AM-8 P
- Friday, 10/1 - No School, District Closed
- Thursday, 10/14 - End of Quarter 1
- Friday, 10/15 - No School for Students, Teacher PD/WorkDay
- Monday, 10/18 - No School for Students, Teacher PD
Other SE Community Information
5th Grade Band
- Students need to have their instrument and yellow Essential Elements Band Book by Tuesday, Sept. 7
- Instruments may be purchased from any music store (Meyer Music, Blues to Back, BAC, REW, and Olathe Band, Music & Arts) – or used!
- You can rent month to month ($25-$35 per month)
- Purchase instrument
- Practice is required to improve and to sound good!
For more information, please contact:
Rob Foster, SE/LTMS Bands
email@example.com; Cell phone: 913-980-0622
- Check out the easy online ordering available for our spirit wear:
- AND/OR visit our website: starsidepta232.org
- Casey's Rewards - download their app and earn points
- BoxTops - download the app and scan your store receipts
- smile.amazon.com - choose Starside PTA as your favorite charity
Kindergarten ASQ Reminder
The goal of Kindergarten Readiness is to ensure that each student enters Kindergarten at age five socially, emotionally, and academically prepared for success.
To help us meet this goal, we are asking you to please consider participating in the state’s child screening program. Please click the following links to begin the questionnaires:
ASQ3 Questionnaire: https://www.asqonline.com/family/760fbd
ASQSE2 Questionnaire: https://www.asqonline.com/family/b53e05
Parents have the option to either complete the questionnaire online, or to print the questionnaire, complete it, and then enter information online at a later time. If you would like paper versions of these questionnaires, please contact your child’s school and they will be happy to provide them to you. We ask that questionnaires be completed by September 20, 2021.
The construction of the roundabout at the intersection of Lexington Avenue and 91st Street is nearing completion but is still coned as a construction zone, so be alert for changes each day as you travel!
K-10 near Lexington Avenue has been reduced to one lane of traffic in each direction. The Eastbound K-10 on-ramp will remain closed for the duration of the construction project through November.
Contacts: Front Office
The current video is from our prior beloved Principal Kris Meyer.
A new video from our new lovable Principal Jan Hicks
will be coming after SE construction is complete!
Sign up to receive alerts regarding special events like school closures, school pictures, late start reminders, etc.
Details on school dates - late start dates and holidays, etc.
Skyward Family Access instructions to check grades, SE Messages, fees, enrollment, and more.
Parent App providing up-to-the-minute bus information including estimated bus arrival time, opt-in district messaging regarding delays or issues and customizable alerts.
Details on Starside procedures regarding arrival and dismissal, attendance notification, birthdays, snacks, special events, transportation changes, and everything Starside!