TPCA NIFTY NEWS
October 7, 2015
NEXT STEP Open House October 27th
Yes, I am inviting you to our Open House. Why? Because this is your best chance to talk with the teachers your child will have NEXT year, or in two years, or high school....whatever time frame you are looking at right now. Things should change and grow every year so you want to have the latest information, not just the way Mrs. XYZ taught when your oldest had her (for example). We are offering the same information in each half-hour session, so join us when your winter parent sports meeting is done, or dinner is finished, or whenever, at 6:30, 7:00, 7:30 or 8:00 pm.
Watch for a separate communication next Monday that you can share with friends. Did I mention your friends...or neighbors...or co-workers...or family members? Bring them all along so they can explore Traders for their family. For more information contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
We KNOW You Need New Family Portraits: Yearbook Class to the Rescue!
This event takes place on Friday, October 30 from 4-7 pm in the mods, and on Saturday, October 31 from 9am-1pm. Take advantage of the opportunity to update your family photo while supporting the TPCA Yearbook Staff. Donations are appreciated, not expected. Participating families will receive a CD with their 5-8 poses. The staff is hoping to raise enough money to purchase updated equipment for their class.
PTF Fundraising Auction Invitations are in the Mail
Writers Workshops Wreaping Wrewards
Have you heard of student Digital Portfolios? These are online folders, of sorts, that contain evidences of student work throughout their school years. Better than that box you have in the closet with all of your kids' favorite stories, art, reports, etc. You can clearly see how each student develop skills and talents through the years - cool, yes?
Dr. Thomas Ho, Director of Technology Integration and Support, is moving us toward digital portfolios for all students. Here is the cover of a book produced by one of our kindergarten students. He's only five-years-old and his book has the story elements, with full sentences and thoughts, self-illustrated. All that professional development for our teachers is paying off for our students. And it's only October!
TPCA Early Childhood is now an official.....
Inaugural 3rd/4th Grade Running Club Hits "MILE"stones
*TPCA started its first running club this year for all 3rd and 4th grade students, sponsored by parent Becky Wood, with the intent of each runner reaching their own personal cumulative goals and displaying good sportsmanship...all while having fun, making relationships, and trying their best. Many thanks to Mrs. Wood for her enthusiastic work with our students!
Nifty News Bullets
- November 1st. That's the upcoming due date for us to turn in our Box Tops for Education and Campbell's Labels for Education. I hope you are cutting all those labels off of your boxes and cans (Campbell's also include Prego, Swanson and Pepperidge Farms). Bring/send those in to our office or drop them off in the big white collection bin in our glass entry - bet you didn't know that's what that was for, did you?
- CPR+: have you seen or heard about this instruction for our 5th - HS students? It's next week. They are NOT learning how to restart the heart in an emergency. This is Creating Positive Relationships +. What's that? It's a biblical, abstinence based sex education program that we have used for many years with our students. Check out their website - this is an amazing program taught at private and public schools all over the world. The difference for us vs. Zionsville, for example, is the "+" part ... the biblical and abstinence basis. More info was available in last week's TPCA Weekly Update - check it out.
- Mr. Mojo, aka Travis Brown, is a national speaker on Anti-Bullying & Leadership. Travis is scheduled to some to Traders Point on Thursday, October 29th. There will be 2 student assemblies, staff workshop after school, parent presentation in the evening, and he will also meet with the 2 student councils for a leadership session during the day. Watch the TPCA Weekly Update, RenWeb and TPCA social media for more details and updates. mojoup.com.
Rapid Reminders (things we really want you to remember)
- K-12 Parent/Teacher Conferences - October 12-16
- Fall Break! - October 19-23
- NEXT STEP Open House - Tuesday, October 27 @ 6:30 pm - 8:30 pm
- 8th grade "Bump Day" high school shadow experience - October 30th
- Yearbook TPCA Family Portraits - October 30-31
- PTF Fundraising Auction - November 13th