Upper Dublin in Review...
Legislative Meeting Briefs - August 2020
UDSD Board of School Directors
Ms. Amy Francek, President; Dr. Darlene Davis, Vice President
Mr. Michael Henderson, Ms. Jennifer Iannitti, Dr. Art Levinowitz,
Mr. Stanley Ropski, Ms. Titia Scherpbier, Mr. Mark Sirota, Mr. Jeffrey Wallack
President's Welcome and Reports to the Board of School Directors
- President's Welcome - Ms. Francek welcomed everyone to the meeting.
- Student Government Association Report - There was no report for August.
- Superintendent's Report - Dr. Yanni presented his monthly Superintendent's Report. The information was part of the Touch Base Tuesday communication (click here for the Touch Base Tuesday communication).
- Transportation to non-public and private schools during the virtual period of the school year
- Fall sports and extracurricular activities
- Budget and taxes
- Metrics for a safe return to in-person learning
- UDESPA demotions during the virtual period of the school year
Recommended Action Items for Approval
Education Committee Recommendations
- Curriculum - The Board approved Fundations Level I Training for elementary professional staff and Catlin Tucker's Blended and Online Learning training for principals and K-12 professional staff. The Board also approved the PA Career Zone subscription renewal and conferences for professional and administrative staff.
- Pupil Services - The Board approved three confidential educational agreements and service agreements with Dr. Altomari for dental services, Dr. Shettsline for medical consultation and examination services, Colleen Carey for physical therapy services, and an agreement with Lakeside School. The Board also approved annual sub-grant agreements for IDEA funds and Pennsylvania School-Based ACCESS Program (SBAP) with the Pennsylvania Department of Human Services.
Finance Committee Recommendations (includes Operations and Transportation)
- Routine Matters - The Board approved routine matters such as the review of the Treasurer's Report, the list of bill payments, and a cooperative purchasing agreement with Montgomery County Intermediate Unit (MCIU).
- Other Matters - The Board approved a Stipulation and Settlement agreement for a residential property, suspension of transportation services for public and nonpublic schools during the virtual period of school, Zoom license agreement, and a change order for the Ft. Washington Elementary window replacement project.
Personnel Committee Recommendations
- Routine Matters - The Board approved the personnel report, inclusive of appointments, retirements and resignations, leaves of absence, changes of status, degree changes, and changes of contract status.
- Other Matters - The Board also approved furloughs and demotions of staff for reasons of economy.
Policy Committee Recommendations
The Board approved second readings of the following policies:
- Public Relations Objectives (901)
- Nonschool Organizations/Groups/Individuals (913)
- Repeal of Publications Program (902) and News Media Relations (911)
The Board affirmed first readings of the following policies:
- Discrimination/Title IX Sexual Harassment Affecting Students (103)
- Trauma-Informed Approach (146.1)
- Anti-Hazing (247)
Other Business and Reports
- Liaison Committee Reports - Reports from Montgomery County Intermediate Unit, Montgomery County Legislative Committee, Eastern Center for Arts & Technology, Equity and Empowerment Steering Committee, Educational Advisory Committee, Pennsylvania School Boards Association, Upper Dublin Township, and Upper Dublin Education Foundation. Click here to read the full report.
- Solicitor's Report - Mr. Diasio reported that the Board met in Executive session on August 5, 2020, August 11, 2020, and August 24, 2020, to discuss personnel matters and school safety.
Community Input and Follow-Up Comments
- Transportation to nonpublic and private schools during the virtual period of the school year
- Fall sports and extra curricular activities
- Budget and taxes
- Schedules and attendance for Cardinal Academy (virtual school)
- Local child care organizations