Keeping Kids Away From Unsecured Guns
The topic we selected was Gun Security and keeping children away from unsecured guns. Too many children in our everyday lives have access to deadly weapons in their homes. Many parents don't realize that their kids may know where these weapons are but don't realize the dangers. In fact, 40% of these gun-owning parents wrongly believed their children didn't know where their guns were located.
- Lack of knowledge of safe gun security measures
- Lack of usage of safe gun locking devices
The number of children who live in homes with loaded and unlocked guns. (The Gifford Law Center)
The percentage of children who know where the guns are located in their house. (The Gifford Law Center)
The percentage of families with guns that don't own a trigger lock. (The LA Times)
Take Action Now!
- Make sure if you own guns that they have child-proof security measures. (ex: trigger locks)
- Before you let your children visit other peoples homes (including family members), ask if there is a gun in the home.
- Talk to your kids about the dangers of guns and what to do if they encounter one. Don't keep any guns you may own a secret.
- Talk to members of your community about gun safety measures
- Use social media to share your opinion on the issue. Use the hashtag #ONELOCKONELIFE
- Contact your representatives about gun security measures and ask questions.
- Attend conventions and stay informed about gun laws in your community and state.
Our Public Service Announcement
What did we learn?
Angel: You need to make sure your guns are secure when you are around children.
Lily: I learned that there are a lot more accidents with children to having access to guns that I originally thought.
Sydney: I learned a lot about what goes on nationally with kids and unlocked guns. I also learned about all the options you have to properly secure a gun.
Taylor: I've learned so much about gun security and how the lack of it has affected so many lives. I've learned all the simple solutions to keep your kids safe.
We believe that the issue of kids having access to unsecured guns leads to many accidents and injuries. We understand that this is a big and complicated challenge and we can't do this alone. However, we are confident that by creating an awareness campaign with the hashtag #ONELOCKONELIFE and proposing a bill to require trigger locks be included with all gun purchases in the state of Texas, we will increase awareness of the importance of gun safety.
- PEW Research
- The Gifford Law Center
- The Los Angeles Times
- Washington Post
- PBS News
- Euro News
- ABC News Investigations
- The Center for Disease Control
- ABC 10 News Investigations
- Project Childsafe
- End Family Fire
Fair Use Statement:
This website may contain copyrighted material, the use of which may not have been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. The material contained in this website is distributed without profit for research and educational purposes. Only small portions of the original work are being used, and those could not be used easily to duplicate the original work. This should constitute a ‘fair use’ of any such copyrighted material (referenced and provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law).