LPES Monthly Newsletter
Welcome to September!
We are so excited to be back in full swing with our PAWSitively Amazing Pandas! We are so proud of all the hard work, determination, and joy they bring to school every day! September will give us more opportunities to make new friends and deepen our learning.
Our Wellness theme for the month of September is Friendship. Why Friendship?
- Friendships help create a sense of belonging
- Friendships help strengthen a child's sense of self-worth
- Friendships help build confidence
Make a friend today, cherish the friends you already have and don't forget . . . the best way to have a friend is to be a friend!
Panda love to all!!
LPES Important September Dates
Sept. 22: 2 hr. Early Dismissal-No PreK
Sept. 23: Professional Day-No school for students
Sept. 26: Picture Day!!
Sept. 30: Deadline to complete the required Acceptable Use Policy form
Remember, every Wednesday is Wellness Wednesday!
Cafeteria Corner: Meal Applications
Free & Reduced School Lunch Program
The meal benefits that allowed us to provide free meals to students regardless of income status has ended. Free and reduced-price meals are still available, but families must submit an application for this benefit.
An electronic application submission is quick and easy, but don't worry, we'll have paper copies if you need to apply that way. At Open House we'll have kiosks where you can complete your application AND on the first day of school we'll be sending home paper copies. Don't miss out!
There are many additional benefits of submitting a meal application form. These perks include waivers on college applications, dual-enrollment courses with the College of Southern Maryland, and discounted fees to participate in St. Mary’s County Parks and Rec programs. Families can request more information by contacting SMCPS' Food and Nutrition Services Office at 301.475.4256, Option 5, or via email at email@example.com.
Judy Center September Newsletter
Schoology has a Mobile App!
Directions to Log Into the Schoology Mobile App.
Any new families that did not receive the notification about their Schoology Parent Account should email firstname.lastname@example.org so we can have our SMCPS Schoology Team investigate and provide answers.
School Bus News
This year in an effort to keep a safe and orderly environment on our school buses we will be having a Bus Conduct Contest. The contest will begin on September 6th. We encourage you to speak with your child(ren) about bus safety. I have included a live link. SMCPS Bus safety video
The rules for this contest are simple! They are all about following bus procedures
and arriving at school safely! Each bus driver has a copy of the 6 items listed below.At the end of the week, the bus driver will submit a safe behavior ticket for the bus, if the rules are followed.
- Bus of the Week - Bus displays award- students are entered for a chance to win a small prize.
- Bus of the Month - Bus gets to hold the bus trophy for the Month!
- Bus of the Year - Ice cream party for students and driver AND the bus driver receives a gift!
BUS SAFETY REMINDERS
- Stay seated in your assigned seats and NEVER leave your seat while the bus is moving
- Always face forward
- Use indoor voices
- Use appropriate language
- Listen to your driver
- Raise your hand if you need the driver’s attention
LPES Music Program Enrollment
New for 22-23: Volunteers must apply annually for approval.
Applications are accepted until May 1st. There is no application fee.
Vetting of applications can take several weeks. Field trip chaperones must have successfully completed the volunteer application process before they can be considered.
Select the link apply: School Volunteer Portal.
SMCPS is Hiring!
Join our team! Select this link for more information.
SMCPS has multiple positions available to support our students and staff, including full-time and part-time positions in various areas. Employment opportunities can be found on the SMCPS website: https://www.smcps.org/hr/employment-opportunities
The Abacus Corporation provides part-time/temporary positions to support SMCPS as well. Various positions are also available through the Abacus Corporation and can be found on their website: https://www.abacuscorporation.com/find-jobs
Update Your Contact Information
Lexington Park Elementary School
To help you navigate all the new elements of the school year and keep you informed about upcoming programs & events, we will communicate information frequently and in several ways. They are listed below for your reference.
- Weekly Phone Message & Email: At 6:00 on Sunday you will receive a phone message & email from us sharing information about the upcoming week.
- Class DoJo: Very soon your child’s teacher will invite you to join Class DoJo. We use this platform because it is secure/members only and allows us to share a wide variety of information with you. Please join our DoJo family!
- Our LPES Website and Twitter feed: The LPES website has a wide variety of information for you and is updated regularly. We love to share all the wonderful things our students & teachers are doing, so we tweet just about every day. Follow us on Twitter @lpes_smcps
- Technology Needs: if you are new to the school or need a device from SMCPS please complete the survey here.