Plants have a diversity of characteristics which are.......
- Shoot Apex
- Lateral Bud
- Primary Root
- Lateral Root
- The root system of a plant absorbs water and dissolves nutrients. Roots anchor plants in the ground, holding soil in place and preventing erosion.
- A stem has a support system for the plant body, a transport system that carries nutrients, and a defense system that protects the plant against predators and disease.
- Leaves are the plants main photosynthetic system. The flat surface of the plant helps increase the amount of sunlight the plant absorbs.
- On the leaves there are adjustable pores which help leaves conserve water while letting oxygen and carbon dioxide enter and exit the leaf (known as the Stomata).
- These three parts of the plant are the most important principle organs.
Fun Facts of a Plant
- Strawberry is the only fruit that bears it seeds on the outside of the fruit. The average strawberry has a least 200 seeds.
- Bamboo is the fastest-growing woody plant in the world; it can grow up to 35 inches in a single day.
- Vanilla flavoring comes from he pod of an orchid, Vanilla Planifolia.
Characteristic of Life
- Reproduction: When the gametes join, they form a zygote that begins the next sporophyte generation of plants.
- Homeostasis: Homeostasis in plants includes the regulation of carbon dioxide and water levels necessary to perform photosynthesis.
- Growth & Development: Plant cells send signals to one another that indicate when to divide and when to not divide, and when to develop into a new kind of cell.
- Energy: Plants are autotrophs because they manufacture their needed nutrients by photosynthesis; converting carbon dioxide and water to sugar.
- Adaptation: Plants have become adapted to many environments such as Aquatic areas, salt-tolerant, and desert plants.