Thornhill Elementary PFC Newsletter
Volume 24, Issue 36, May 26, 2017
Registration Information for 2017-2018
The current school year is almost over! And that means it's time to think about registering for next "year"...Which is just three months away.
Keep in mind that all current Thornhill students must register at Thornhill for the new school year. And things are being done a bit differently for the upcoming 2017-2018 school year.
The school will NOT be posting the class lists outside as it has in the past. Instead, classroom assignments will be given out in August once registration is complete and all required documents are submitted.
More information will follow, but below are the tentative registration dates:
· Wednesday, August 16: 10 a.m.- 4 p.m.
· Thursday, August 17: 2 p.m.-7 p.m.
· Friday, August 18: 10 a.m. 4 p.m.
If you are unable to make one of the registration dates, don't worry...You can come in on the first day of school, turn in your paperwork and get your classroom assignment.
If you choose to come on the first day of school, please plan your time accordingly, as there will most likely be a wait. To move the process on as quickly and efficient as possible, we are hoping to have the forms available on the website (So you can print and complete them in advance). Check www.thornhillschool.org regularly for more information.
This process will serve two purposes:
1. Help the school staff to secure all emergency information and parent initials verifying they have read and received all necessary information. (This is district policy)
2. Protect the privacy of our students.
**Please also note the office is closed during the summer; voicemail and emails will not be replied to until staff returns in August. **
Thank you in advance for your help with this new process. We know that change is not always welcomed and can be difficult but we are trying to make things more efficient in processing all our students for the first day of school.
Dear Thunderbird Families,
With just two weeks of school to go, I can easily say we are in the home stretch and nearing the finish line. There has been so much going on that you just forget how fun it is for our students at Thornhill.
Last week's music performances were great! It is so awesome to see our students singing and playing music. We are so fortunate to have music instruction at every grade level here at Thornhill. It is one of the hallmarks of our school that is key to our joy here.
By the way...Parents, we need you to encourage your children to practice their instruments on a daily basis. And YES, even in summer, if you have instruments, please.
Another unique experience at Thornhill is the Gamelan music instruction for 5th graders. This is music from Indonesia. Students and teachers participate in this rich experience and we see that our students get a lot out of this uniquely Thornhill opportunity.
Principal for a Day:
Fourth grader Principal Lucas came prepared to meet with every class and thoroughly got into character as principal for a day. He even led our sing along assembly. His high expectations had almost every class on their toes during dismissal as he asked for the quietest classes to be dismissed first. Go Principal Lucas!
Breakfast with the Principal:
I was fortunate enough to have pancakes with fourth graders Ava and Riya at Rick and Ann’s yesterday. I learned so much about their summer plans and interest in Olympic gymnastics, Dancing With The Stars and what books they have been reading. I love having breakfast with the students. They are so fun!
From what I hear the Hamilton musical is amazing. Did you know that in addition to being America's first treasury secretary, Alexander Hamilton was from the Caribbean island of St. Croix? Me too! Here is a great article on Hamilton’s youth. It's amazing hearing all the students in upper grades talk about history. They have learned so much.
It’s Memorial Day weekend plus an extra day off. No excuse for not having FUN this four-day weekend. The weather should be on our side. So get outdoors and enjoy.
THANK YOU THORNHILL
The Spring Carnival was a few weekends back and I didn't want the school year to close without me saying THANK YOU!
Check out the photos that the LifeTouch professional photographer took: www.lifetouchevents.com Password: TESC5617
So many people in our wonderful community pitched in and helped out. The Carnival could not have happened without all of YOU! It’s impossible to list everyone who contributed, but I do want acknowledge and thank the following people:
- Michael Maggio with Coldwell Banker for his generous donation which made it possible for our photo booth and amazing magic show
- Crown Liquors for donating all the ice we needed. Please shop locally and thank them for their generosity to Thornhill!
- All the Class Booth Coordinators and all the parents and kids who staffed the booths throughout the day
- Our amazing DJ Noah, for keeping the energy up all day
- The Dads Club, led by Brice Gamble, for cooking and serving up delicious food
- The teachers who organized and ran the Prize Booth throughout the day
- Everyone who donated small consolation prizes — thank you!
- All the PFC members who helped at the Ticket Booth
- The Thornhill alums and parents who painted a lot of little faces
- Everyone who donated a treat for the Cake Walk
- All the 5th graders who braved the cold Dunk Tank water!
- All the parents and kids who helped with building the booths Friday afternoon and everyone who helped break down the booths and clean up.
Truly, everyone pulled together to make the Carnival a success! Thank you.
This was my 1st year running the Carnival and I survived! A special thank you to Amy Teeling for your willingness to support me on such short notice. We currently are looking for someone to chair this awesome event for next year. Email me email@example.com
-Shanyn Lloyd-Gibson, 2017 Carnival Chair
Fidget Spinners, NO!
Well, whether you have heard of fidget spinners or not, they are no longer allowed at Thornhill. A ban on fidget spinners went into effect Wednesday, and you child's teacher might have sent you an email about the matter.
Yes, there are only two weeks left in school this year. Let's keep the fidget spinners at home, where they belong with all the other toys that your children just had to have and which are now probably strewn about your living room in an obstacle course of chaos.
Last Dine Out: Monday, June 5 at Monaghan’s
Come celebrate the end of the school year at a wonderful, classic local restaurant owned by a dedicated Thornhill family.
On Monday, June 5, from 5 - 9 p.m., Monaghan’s will generously donate 15 percent of your bill back to Thornhill! Start your summer with us at Monaghan’s on the Hill at 2820 Mountain Blvd.
HOW IT WORKS:
If you are not yet registered for the BigPie service, you will need to complete your free and secure registration before the event: https://www.bigpie.com//nonprofits/thornhill-parent-faculty-club-ccc7/#join
When you arrive at the restaurant, tell your server you are a Thornhill parent. They will bring you a card on which to write your email and receipt total and that’s it! At the end of the night, the purchases will be logged and our school will get 15 percent back from Monaghan’s! It’s a tasty, fun and community-building way to support our school!
Only 5 Days Left in our Good Eggs Fundraiser!
Why not give Good Eggs a try? It’s easy:
1. Go to Good Eggs and fill your basket with all the best food (fresher than fresh produce, sustainable meats and seafood, meal kits, kid-friendly staples and more) for free same day delivery if you check out by 1 p.m.
2. At checkout, enter the code THORNHILL to get $15 off and automatically enroll
3. Enjoy! You just discovered the easiest and most delicious way to support your school. All your orders through the end of May will automatically count toward the fundraiser that gives 10 percent back.
Box Tops Contest Ends Today – Turn Them In ASAP!
Today is officially the last day of Box Tops Contest #2, but if you forgot, your child can still turn them in to their teacher on Monday and Tuesday and I’ll count them.
WHAT TO DO:
1) Cut Box Tops out and glue them onto the Box Tops Collection Sheet that was sent home with your child in early March. You can download another copy here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B78l5i8Nk_oDSVJtQXRKUFlJTXM/view?usp=sharing
2) Be sure your name and your teacher’s name are clearly marked on the sheet
3) Bring Collection Sheet to your teacher or the Office by May 26. It's OK if there are less than 25 on the sheet!
· Classroom that collects the most Box Tops wins a Cupcake Party on June 5!
· Classroom with highest percentage participation will win a Popsicle Party on June 5!
· 1st, 2nd & 3rd Place Prizes for the students who collect the most Box Tops!
· Everyone who brings in Box Tops will be entered into a drawing & one lucky winner will get a Yogofina $10 Gift Card!
Winners will be announced June 1.
-Amy Teeling, escrip & Merchant Giveback Programs Coordinator
About The PFC Newsletter
The Thornhill Parent-Faculty Club (PFC) eNews team publishes this weekly newsletter each Friday in the school year to communicate school, PFC and OUSD news, events and information.
Email submissions to our Newsletter Chair, Rex Crum, at firstname.lastname@example.org by 3 p.m. Wednesday for approval, including Word or Text files, with links and no formatting, and photos preferably as 150 x 150, 72 dpi JPG or GIFs only (not embedded in email or word file). Submissions may be edited for spelling, grammar, brevity and clarity. Advertising is not accepted.
THANK YOU to everyone who submits articles and to PFC Board Members, Teachers, VP of Communications Mavis Scanlon, PFC Co-Presidents Shauna Fithian and Shanyn Lloyd-Gibson and Principal Steve Daubenspeck. Member of Oakland Unified School District (OUSD).