Summer Edition #1 - June 1, 2020
A Summer of Transition
Congratulations to our 8th graders upon their graduation from middle school and the start of the awesome journey that is high school. Your middle school experience started with Hurricane Harvey and ended with a worldwide pandemic, yet you kept one foot in front of the other. We wish you well, as you are all destined for great things, and you worked hard to prepare yourselves for what comes next. Be sure to let us know how you are doing and keep in touch. Please do not be a stranger to SLMS--once a Titan, always a Titan! We look forward to continue working with our new 7th and 8th graders, as well as our incoming 6th graders, even though we don't yet know how that will look. We will all continue to give grace to one another and to ourselves.
In this week's news, please take note of the items related to the Final Report Card, information regarding the Last Chance for Student Item Pick-Up, as well as a way for you and your family to participate in a Virtual Vigil for Mr. Juneau. We hope you will join us.
Thank you for supporting SLMS this year, and we wish everyone a safe, happy, and healthy summer break. We will continue to post information on our website, as well as occasionally send out a Titan News update (maybe every 2-3 weeks or so). Our summer office hours, starting Monday, June 1, will be Monday-Thursday from 7:30-5:30, with office closure during lunch from 12:00-1:00.
Keith Fickel, SLMS Principal
Final Report Card
The final report card will be available for viewing in Skyward Family Access by 4:30 PM on Monday, June 1, 2020, after a slight delay from the district's side. Of particular note will be the T4 mark of either M (Met Standard) or DNM (Does Not Meet Standard) and the Final Grade for each course. For a reminder of what was communicated throughout T4 regarding grades, please visit Online Learning Resources page of our campus website.
Here are a few things to look out for on the report card:
- Students who receive a grade lower than a 70 for the year (Final Average) in a core content course should have enrolled in summer school (phone calls were made to parents over the last two weeks)
- Students who receive a "DNM" (did not meet standard) in any core course for T4 will provided with appropriate levels of support during the 2020-21 school year. What this looks like will depend on a number of factors which will be easier to determine once a clearer vision of what next year will look like is announced by the district. Look for a letter to arrive in your mail sometime in June about this supportfor the 2020-21 school year
- Students who were enrolled in Algebra I, Spanish I or Spanish for Spanish Speakers, who passed for the year, but who received "DNM" for T4, will have credit denied for the course until they successfully complete an Online Module in June. Specific details will be sent directly to these students' families. You will know if HS credit is denied if there is a hashtag (#) next to the grade
- Students who received a "DNM" for T4 in a CTE course (Principles of Human Services and Touch Data Systems) will also have credit denied, but they will have the opportunity to work with their teachers in order to resolve this during the summer so that credit may be restored
Student Item Pickup - LAST CHANCE - Tuesday, June 2 from 5:00-7:00 PM
If you still have things at school you would like to collect, we have collected everything into two classrooms in the front of the building for you to pickup between 5:00 and 7:00 PM on Tuesday, June 2. Please bring any textbooks (non-consumable), library books, or school-owned equipment for drop-off, as well. Students' items are bagged and tagged with their locker number. We will help you if you have forgotten what your locker number is. Please come to the front door.
Remembering Mr. Juneau - Virtual Vigil Wednesday, June 3 at 6:00 PM
As previously shared with our community, we are saddened by the sudden loss of our beloved friend, colleague, and student mentor, Mr. Therrin Juneau.To celebrate his life and honor his memory, we are holding a Virtual Vigil, scheduled for 6:00 PM on Wednesday, June 3. Mr. Juneau's family will be in attendance, and we hope you will be, as well. Please join using this Zoom link. You might be placed in the waiting room prior to the start, but you will be let in. We have purchased space for 300 participants.
We also invite you to light a virtual candle, as well as leave tribute or your condolences at our special "in memory of" website. Please visit: http://tjuneau.memory-of.com/
You may also be interested in specifics related to his viewing and funeral arrangements:
Thursday, June 4, 2020
Gabriel Funeral Home
2500 Proctor Street
Port Arthur, TX
Friday, June 5, 2020
Port Arthur, TX
Mr. Juneau's family requests that in lieu of flowers, please make a donation to your favorite youth organization in Mr. Juneau's memory. Mr. Juneau’s passion was working with youth, and this would be a way to honor that passion.
If you would like to send Mr. Juneau's mother a sympathy card or other acknowledgement, you may do so by mailing her at:
Alma Faye Juneau
3910 35th Street
Port Arthur, TX 77642
Campus Improvements and 2018 Bond Update
We thought you would appreciate an update regarding all of the work underway or about to get underway at SLMS related to improving the building.
- Renovation of all restrooms in the building (complete by August 2020)
- Refurbishment of the Elevator (complete by mid-June)
- Fine Arts Addition - Adding Choir and Orchestra Rooms (complete by June 2021)
- Theater - Updating Theater room and converting current Orchestra room into a Black Box Theater (complete August 2020)
- Seventh Street Improvements (City of Sugar Land) - expected completion July 2020
Getting Underway Soon:
- Football field - Turf and Track installed behind the campus (North side) - Completion TBD
- Wayfinding Signage Inside building - signage to help navigate interior corridors - Complete November/December 2020
- Furniture - new teacher desks & chairs, new library furniture, Flexible learning space created in upstairs computer lab (complete June 2020); student desk/chair replacement coming in Summer 2021 (delayed due to COVID-19)
- Electronic Marquee (completion TBD)
Summer School 2020
The middle school summer program is available to students in grades 6-8 and will be offered June 8 through June 25. At the middle school level, credit recovery online courses are available in Math, ELA, Social Studies and Science. Registration begins Monday, May 18, and closes Friday, May 29.
The cost for original credit courses is $125 ($65 for students with Reduced Lunch status and $50 for Free Lunch status). The cost for AP courses range can range from $225 to $350.
Students who were issued a loaner laptop from FBISD during the Spring semester will keep the laptop for use during summer school. Students who need to check out a laptop for summer school purposes, may visit one of the device distribution locations (Austin High School or Dulles High School) from 7:00 a.m. to 3:30 pm. on the following days: May 26-28, June 2-4 or June 9-11.
Parents are asked to contact their child’s counselor regarding summer school credit recovery, original credit, Pre-AP and AP classes. School counselors can also provide families with assistance in registering for courses online.
- 6th grade - Mrs. Seright (email@example.com)
- 7th grade - Ms. Brinson (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- 8th grade - Mrs. Smith (email@example.com)
To learn more about summer online learning opportunities, visit the FBISD Summer School Website.
Click this button if you want to access Titan News for previous weeks. We have an archive of all of them on our campus webpage.
Sugar Land Middle School
Inspiring and equipping the young men and women of our community for futures beyond what they can imagine since 1975.
SLMS Campus Mission Statement
Working collaboratively, the Sugar Land Middle School Professional Learning Community will commit to creating a safe environment with high expectations leading to physical, social, emotional, and academic success for all Titans.
Regular Office Hours
- 8:20-4:20 Monday-Friday
Summer Office Hours - Starting Monday, June 1
- 7:30-5:30 Monday-Thursday (Closed Friday)
- Closed 12:00-1:00 for lunch