MAPSS Summer Institute
2016-2017- MSP Grant- Year 2
Your summer professional development is almost here!
MAPSS Summer Institute will be held daily June 20- July 1, 2016
Monday, June 20th, 8am to Friday, July 1st, 4pm
475 Deacon Boulevard
- Attend all 10 days of the Summer Institute
- DAY 1- Suggested arrival time is 8:00 AM because there will be lots of housekeeping items to take care of prior to our day beginning.
- Our typical day will begin around 8:30 am and end between 3:30/4:00 pm.
- Attend all 4 days associated with the Fall and Spring Retreats
- Engage in the activities associated with the professional development
- Consistently use Edmodo to share and communicate with our professional learning network (PLN)
- Address communications when scheduling coaching visits
- Engage in coaching visits
Your PBL Student Camp Experience
Site 1- Broadview Middle School- This location will host for all ABSS teachers. MAPSS Teacher Leader- Jenn Russell (ABSS Year 1 teacher)
Site 2- Liberty Elementary School- This location will host for all RCS teachers.
Teacher Leader- Deidra Colclough (RCS Year 1 teacher)
MAPSS Team Rep- Kim Campbell
Site 3- Oak Grove Middle School- This location will host for all DCS and LCS teachers.
Teacher Leaders- Amy Burgesser (DCS Year 1 teacher), Kristyn Daney (LCS Year 1 teacher)
MAPSS Team Rep- Kelsey Doolittle
Site 4- Jones Intermediate School- This location will host for all MACS teachers.
Teacher Leaders- Amanda Robertson, Tarona Hollingsworth (MACS Year 1 teachers)
MAPSS Team Rep- Penny Willard
Teachers will need to arrive by 8:30 am in order to prepare for the day. The PBL activities will begin at 9:00 am for students and end at 12:00 pm when students leave. Once students leave all teachers will briefly discuss the reflection requirement which is due on Friday morning upon our return to WFU for the final day. After this discussion you are free to leave since you have an assignment to complete for homework prior to our last day. *Please note that no travel is paid for this day since we do not travel to Wake Forest University.
On Site Beverages
PLEASE NOTE: WITHIN THE WAKE FOREST 3rd FLOOR CERTL AREA THERE IS A KITCHEN with DRINKS AND COFFEE. HOWEVER, THIS IS NOT AVAILABLE TO GUESTS, AND IS ONLY FOR THE WFU STAFF. PLEASE DO NOT ENTER THE KITCHEN AREA SINCE OUR WFU PARTNERS WILL BE CHARGED FOR THIS SERVICE.
Daily Lunch Options:
- Elizabeth’s Italian Restaurant ---- 2824 University Parkway
- Jimmy the Greek Kitchen 2806 University Parkway
- Putters Patio & Grill----3005 Bonhurst Drive
- Red Hot & Blue BBQ----613 Deacon Blvd.
- Subway----2808 University Parkway
- Panera Bread----2208 Cloverdale Avenue
- Pizza Hut----3040 University Parkway
- New China Buffet----5723 University Parkway
- Bojangles-----585 Northwest Blvd.
- Mario's Pizza----2205 Cloverdale Avenue
- Wendy's----2735 Reynolda Road
- McDonalds----7742 North Point Blvd.
- Dunkin Donuts----78115 North Point Blvd.
- Midtown Cafe & Dessertery----151 S. Stratford Rd.
- Chick-Fil-A----391 Knollwood Drive
- Moe's Southwest Grille----206 S. Stratford Rd.
- The Carving Board----318 S. Stratford Rd.
- The Loop----300 S. Stratford Rd.
- Firehouse Subs---205 S. Stratford Rd.
- Zoe's Kitchen----205 S. Stratford Rd.
- Jimmy Johns----249 S. Stratford Rd.
- Qdoba Mexican Eats----57 Miller Street
- Jersey Mike's Subs----2291 Cloverdale Avenue
- Jimmy John's (with drive thru)----2804 Fairlawn Drive
- Golden India Restaurant----2837 Fairlawn Drive
- Amazing Thailand----2840 Reynolda Road
- Mi Pueblo----2905 Reynolda Road
- Mama Zoe's----2859 Reynolda Road
- East Coast Wings (Reynolda Manor Shopping Center)----2894 Reynolda Road
- Starbucks (with drive thru)----2898 Reynolda Road
- KFC--- 2817 Reynolda Road
- Burger King----2897 Reynolda Road
- Cici's----2857 Reynolda Road
Stipends & Travel Reimbursement
- $100 per day
- $1,000.00 total stipend will be paid to each teacher
- FICA and retirement is also covered on the $1,000.00
In order to receive the travel reimbursement for your participation in the Summer Institute you must follow the grant specific guidelines.
- Carpooling at 4 people per car
- Travel paid at the current rate of .54 per mile
- Distance covered is from your district to Deacon Tower and back to your district
All stipends and travel are paid through each individual school district. The districts are then reimbursed for these amounts when they invoice Mount Airy City Schools, which serves as the fiscal agent for the MAPSS grant.
For any specific stipend & travel questions please see your district representative (shown below) for MAPSS. This may include questions like the following:
- When will we get paid?
- Where do we need to meet for travel plans?
- Questions pertaining to carpool plans?
- What forms do we fill out for travel reimbursement
District Specific MAPSS Representatives:
Alamance-Burlington Schools: Dr. Robin Finberg or Krista Boyd
Davidson County Schools: Emily Lipe or Caroline Hedrick
Lexington City Schools: Nicole Piggott
Mount Airy City Schools: Penny Willard
Randolph County Schools: Lynette Graves