Creating Strategic Readers
November 16 - 17, 2017 / San Antonio, TX
Reading Proficiency is the Goal!
Who Should Attend?
November 16, 2017: From Phonics to Fluency
Empower your students to read Fluently!Phonics and fluency go hand-and-hand because they are both essential components of a proficient reader. Join Kelly Harmon this fall to boost your knowledge of how to take your students from just sounding out words to reading smoothly with expression! Explore engaging activities that will get your students fluently reading in no time. Plus explore ways to boost reading comprehension skills!
- Authentic and engaging ideas for teaching phonics & fluency
- Igniting a passion for reading
- Strategies for developing accuracy and automaticity
- Authentic classroom practice for fluency development
- Techniques and activities for decoding and encoding
- Best Practices for vocabulary instruction
- Fluent reading principles
- Fluency Practice Ideas
- Techniques and activities to develop reading fluency and comprehension
- Spelling Instruction Strategies
- Word Work strategies & activities that build word knowledge
- Assessment ideas for phonics and fluency
- Lesson Planning Guidance
- Analyzing grade level expectations for Phonics, Fluency, and Vocabulary
- And Much More!!
November 17, 2017: Guiding Readers to Proficiency
Strategies for developing rigorous readers!Learn strategies for assessing your students’ reading needs and planning instruction to accelerate reading achievement. Participants will explore a variety of differentiation methods for grouping students for reading instruction.
- Balanced Literacy Instruction
- Book Talks
- Shared Reading Instruction
- Close Reading Strategies
- Interactive Read Alouds
- 5 Steps for Effective Guided Reading Instruction
- Grouping Strategies
- Comprehension Focused (Figure 19)
- Effective Literature Circles
- Choosing "Just Right Texts"
- Literacy Management Strategies
- Model Lessons
- Critical Reading Vs. Close Reading
- Text Resource Suggestions
- Small Group Instruction Strategies
- Progress Monitoring Ideas
- Formative Assessment Examples
- Processing and Practicing Strategies
Meet the Presenters!
Randi Anderson is an elementary educator, blogger, and staff developer with almost 10 years of experience. She taught third and fourth grade in title one schools in the Fort Worth area. Before entering the classroom, Randi studied early childhood education and English as a second language at The University of Texas at Austin. She has a strong passion for making reading and writing authentic and engaging for her students.
"Very meaningful seminar! Being able to apply a hands on approach where students are able to take ownership in their learning across the content is great!" -Corina G.
"Best one yet! Loved it! Great resources & strategies!" - Lindsay T.
"High energy, interesting presentation! Very useful information and materials!" Luis P.
Attend both days for $425 or just one day for $225 per participant.
Contact us for early bird or group discounts!
You can register by faxing, Calling, or Emailing your registration form in.
Purchase Orders are accepted.
We accept cash, check, or credit card.
Please Make Checks or Purchase Orders out to Kelly Harmon & Associates.
Call (817) 583-1290
Fax (972) 369-7327
For more Information Please contact us!
Download a Registration Form Below!
Creating Exceptional Readers Conference
Thursday, Nov. 16th, 8:30am
850 Halm Boulevard
San Antonio, TX
Location is the La Quinta Inn San Antonio Airport
Thursday, November 16th, 2017
8:30am - 3:30pm
Lunch on Your Own Each Day
Friday, November 17th, 2017
8:30am - 3:30pm
12 Hours of Professional Learning Credit Will be Earned by Each Participant
Each participant will receive a handout of resources and an online code to to access products discussed.
RSVPs are enabled for this event.
Practicing Skills, Strategies, & Processes
Kelly Harmon & Robert Marzano teamed up to write Practicing Skills, Strategies, & Processes. The book is part of the Essentials for Achieving Rigor Series.
Practicing Skills, Strategies, & Processes: Classroom Techniques to Help Students Develop Proficiency explores explicit techniques for mastering this crucial strategy of instructional practice. It includes:
- Explicit steps for implementation
- Recommendations for monitoring students’ ability to develop fluent thinking
- Adaptations for students who struggle, have special needs, or excel in learning
- Examples and non-examples from classroom practice
- Common mistakes and ways to avoid them