Pirate Cove Connection
PES Media Center News - October 2017
Fall into A Good Book!
Scholastic Book Fair October 18-27, 2017
Students will shop with their class during their Media Resource time starting October 18. Check with your child’s teacher if you would like to shop with your child. Book fair flyers will go home with students the week of October 10.
- Teacher Preview – Tuesday, October 17 from 3:00PM-4:00PM Teachers will make wish baskets so that parents can purchase books for teachers.
We also have great family events scheduled:
- Donuts for Dads – Tuesday, October 24 from 7:30AM-8:30AM
- Muffins for Moms – Wednesday, October 25 from 7:30AM-8:30AM
- Family Night/Pumpkin Character Contest - Thursday, October 26 5:00-7:00PM
You can sign-up on the PTO Website. Volunteers will receive a 10% discount on their purchases.
Book Character Pumpkin Contest 2017
This year, the media center is getting into the fall spirit by having a pumpkin decorating contest. Palencia students, staff, and parents are invited to decorate a pumpkin like their favorite book character. It’s easy and fun for everyone! To enter, bring in a decorated pumpkin to the PES media center on October 23. All entries must be received by 3:15 on October 23. We cannot accept late entries.
- NO CARVED PUMPKINS! Carved pumpkins rot, attract bugs, and smell. Most importantly, we don’t want a child handling a knife or carving tools. Pumpkins may be painted, hot glued, colored and decorated. Gourds and other pumpkin-like squash may be used.
- Pumpkins should represent a favorite book character. On the entry form, you must write the title and author of the book and include a copy of the book to display with the pumpkin character.
- This project should mostly be done by students. K thru 2nd grade students may work with parents to complete a pumpkin as a “family.” 3rd-5th grade students should do most of the work themselves, with only some assistance by parents. Class/Club projects should include student initiative as well.
- Do not write your name anywhere on the pumpkin. Your entry form information will be used to make a display card for the pumpkin.
- Pumpkins will be judged according to the following categories: K thru 2nd Grade “Family” Pumpkins, 3rd Grade thru 5th Grade Student Pumpkins, Class/Club Pumpkins
- Judging will be conducted by students and teachers. One vote for each of the categories.
- Prizes: Three winners in each category will be announced at the Book Fair Family
Night October 26. Each winner will receive a ribbon and a gift certificate to the fall book fair.
- After judging, pumpkins may be picked up on Friday, October 27. Pumpkins not picked up will be discarded.
Our Numbers for September 2017
Number of Books Checked Out - 2,801
Number of E-books Viewed - 29
Number of Classes - 84
Number of New Books Added - 129
Most Check-outs by a Student - Trey J. 18
Class with the Most Check-outs - Class - H. Worthington - 175
Most Check-outs by a Teacher - Mrs. Simpson 65
September is National Library Card Month
Our Awsome SSYRA Readers - 5 or more
Nick V. - 10 books
Aaron L. - 8 books
Parmis - 8 books
Gharam - 9 books
James - 6 books
William C. - 5 books
For more information and a list of books, visit the PES Media Center website.
MackinVia Ebooks - Halloween Choices
by Sally Walker
Harriet's Halloween Candy
Trick-or-Treat Milton Street
by Lisa Bullard
What will we be learning in media this month?
2. No Pirates Allowed Said Library Lou - Students will learn how to treat their books like pirate treasure.
3. Book Fair Shopping and Preview
4. MackinVia Ebooks
5. Non-fiction Text Features - table of contents, glossary, index, maps, diagrams, labels
6. Parts of a book - spine, author, illustrator, title page, bar code, cover, call number, book jacket, copyright, and publisher
Birthday Book Club
The Palencia Elementary School Media Center’s Birthday Book Club is a wonderful way to commemorate your child’s birthday. Your participation not only enriches the library collection but allows you and your child to be personally involved in its growth.
To take part in the Birthday Book Club donate one new undamaged hardback book. This book should be a book that your child enjoys and one that we don’t have in the media center already. You can choose a new book at the book store or a new book from the Book Fair. A quick check of our library catalog (Destiny) will tell you if we already have the book. If you would prefer, you may make a monetary donation of $15 and your child can choose from recently acquired books that are waiting to be put on the shelves. For more information, contact the media center.
Accelerated Reader Home Connect
Username: s + student number
Password: first and last name initials + student number