Crimson Newsletter - Dec. 15, 2023
December 15, 2023
From Principal Becker
Into the second trimester, and winter break!
Greetings, Crimson Families! I wish you and yours all the best as we reach the conclusion of the year 2023.
We're into the second trimester and students are adjusting nicely to their schedules and classes, and participating in new learning experiences from their teachers' instruction. Meanwhile, winter activities are in full swing, and – believe it or not – student registration for the 2024-25 school year begins immediately after winter break! The time is flying by, and we're focused on finishing 2023 strong while also looking ahead to 2024.
Many of our classes are facilitating summative assessments before winter break, so there's likely a good bit of studying and preparation to be done this weekend. We've encouraged students to build up as much positive momentum as they can so they can relax and enjoy the break without thinking too much of school. As always, continue monitoring your Crimson students' progress in Schoology and reach out any time to teachers to collaborate for the success of your student.
Activities will be busy over the break with practices, competitions, tournaments, and invitationals. We wish every program great success as they represent the Crimson Family!
As always, thank you for your support and partnership. Upon the arrival of winter break, our staff will enjoy their families, catch up on rest, maybe do some traveling, eat and celebrate with loved ones, and see in the new year. Then, our thoughts always return to the great students of Maple Grove Senior High, and the work still ahead of us in 2024. I am so grateful to the Crimson educators in every role and their efforts to make lasting positive impact on Crimson students.
Season's greetings to every Crimson family, Merry Christmas, joyous holidays, and a Happy New Year!
Yours very respectfully,
Bart Becker, Principal
College and Career Resource Center
Here's the latest from the Crimson CRC:
- The new FAFSA form will be released in December, and our CRC will be hosting a virtual session on the new FAFSA process during the Registration Conference on January 18, from 6:00–7:00 p.m. We will answer questions about the new FAFSA process and outline the documents families will need to begin the application. On January 31 from 5:00–7:00 p.m., we will be online for pop-in questions. Log in here to attend the event and have any of your questions answered.
- "Scholarship season” is in full swing! Don’t miss out on great opportunities to pay for college; check out the Crimson Scholarship Bulletin on our CRC Website!
- Crimson Careers is returning! We're seeking representatives from a variety of local professions to participate on career panels throughout the year to discuss post-high school pathways with Crimson students. If you are interested in participating in Crimson Careers, please fill out this form.
Check out the CRC website for more information!
The Crimson Yearbook website is live! You can visit www.MapleGroveYearbook.com to order a yearbook, submit a senior portrait, baby ad, or community photo.
Seniors should view the senior flyer on the website for more detailed information on how to submit your senior photos and baby ads.
Issues or questions about the website or yearbook? Please email Ashley at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Upcoming dates and events
- December 20: No School – Winter Break
- January 2: Return From Winter Break
- January 2-5: Registration Class Meetings
- January 12: Asynchronous Learning Day
- January 15: No School – Reverend Martin Luther King, Jr. Day
- January 16-19: Snow Days
- January 18: Registration Conference
- January 20: Snow Days Dance
- January 24: Mid-Trimester Conferences (Google Meet)
- February 5: No School / Professional Development Workshop
Building a Better Future
Core planning group begins expansion/renovation meetings
With the passage of the bond referendum in November, work has immediately begun on planning the expansion/renovation of Maple Grove Senior High School! A core planning group has been formed of Crimson staff and students, and each stakeholder is tasked with bringing their own knowledge and expertise to the design process. The group will collaborate over the next three months to create the overall cohesive design of Maple Grove Senior High School.
The first meeting occurred on December 5, followed by a December 12 day-long tour of Shakopee, Owatonna, and Wayzata High Schools to explore the newly/recently designed buildings. This provided valuable insights on what our new learning spaces could be. It will be exciting to see this work progress for the future of our school!
As a reminder, among the work to be done to throughout ISD 279, the items below in bold will occur at Maple Grove Senior High:
- Adding additional safety and security enhancements to all schools.
- Adding safe and secure entrances to Maple Grove, Osseo and Park Center Senior High Schools.
- Expanding and modernizing career and technical education spaces at Maple Grove, Osseo and Park Center Senior High Schools and the Osseo Area Learning Center.
- Expanding and modernizing science, technology, engineering, arts and math (STEAM) spaces at magnet schools.
- Updating classrooms at all schools to accommodate varied learning needs, including the specialized services of special education, gifted/talented and multilingual learners.
- Updating classrooms and common areas with new furniture and flexible learning spaces at all schools.
- Modernizing library media centers to be more resourceful and accommodating to teaching and learning needs at all schools.
- Adding an outdoor classroom to elementary and middle schools currently without such a space.
- Repurposing an existing elementary school to meet Community Education programming needs, including early childhood learning, adult basic education and enrichment opportunities birth through adult.
- Adding classrooms and a larger cafeteria at Maple Grove Senior High School.
- Adding an elementary school in northwest Maple Grove.
Crimson Girls' Swim and Dive at State!
Congratulations to our Crimson Girls' Swim and Dive Team on their 5th place finish at State!
To translate this information to another language, please click the "translate" link at the top of the page.