August 26-30th 2019
WELCOME BACK TO SCHOOL!!!!
**TODAY AUGUST 23rd** Harper Spirit Wear is HERE!!! Pre-sale on Friday, August 23rd from 3-5 at the Roberts House. The address is 2101 Thornwood. Credit cards, checks, and cash accepted! Reach out to Courtney Greene, Krina Raval or Megan Roberts with any questions.
New Family Orientation: Monday, August, 26
- Hello, NEW FAMILIES! Join us Monday, August 26, from 6:30pm-7:30pm for New Family Orientation Night at Harper. Our principal, Aaron Dubnow and PTO president, Jessica Reynolds, will be there to give you a brief overview and answer any questions you may have. We'll also be conducting tours if you haven't had one yet or would like another. This is a family event, and a great opportunity for your kids to see Harper if they haven't already.
First Day of School: Wednesday, August 28
Please note the schedule below for the first day:
Grades 1 - 4: 8:35 - 11:55am.
Kindergarten: This is an opportunity for students and parents to meet the teacher and see the classroom. There is no formal instruction/class occurring. The schedule is HERE.
PTO Welcome Back Coffee Wednesday, August 28
- After you make classroom drop-offs, head to the cafeteria for the Annual Welcome Coffee -- the one-stop-shop for your Harper to-do list! Volunteer to be a room parent or book fair helper. Sign up for chorus or scouts. Learn more about FAN and Harper's Family to Family Committee. Bring your checkbook/credit card/cash for iGNITE! contributions and Harper Spirit Wear. There will also be COFFEE! Get involved - it takes a village!
Important Upcoming Dates
Kindergarten Curriculum Night: August 29
Grades 1 and 2 Curriculum Night: September 4
Grades 3 and 4 Curriculum Night: September 10
Picture Day: September 12 (rain date=September 13)
Harper Hoedown: September 22 (rain date= September 29th)
Book Fair: October 21-23
Harper Parent Social: November 1
NO SCHOOL SEPTEMBER DAYS: September 2 & 30
A Few Reminders to keep in mind...
All visitors to the school will continue to present a driver’s license, which will be scanned using our Raptor system. The license will then be kept in the office and each visitor will be given a colored lanyard with a visitor badge. The driver’s license will be returned at the conclusion of the visit. Please know that a driver’s license is required for every visit. Thank you for helping us keep our kids safe!
Grades 1 - 4:* 8:35 - 3:15 (Monday-Thursday) and 8:35 - 2:15 (Friday)
Kindergarten AM: 8:35 - 11:10 (Monday-Friday)
Kindergarten PM: 12:40 - 3:15 (Monday-Friday)
* Please note the early dismissal time on Fridays
Morning supervision begins at 8:20am. Please do NOT drop students off before then. The first bell/doors open at 8:30am. Staff will be around to assist.
Kindergarten and 1st grade children should enter at the south door
2nd graders will enter at the north door
3rd and 4th graders enter at the main entrance
Grades 1 & 2: Recess: 11:35 - 12:00; Lunch: 12:00 - 12:25
Grades 3 & 4: Recess: 11:10 - 11:35; Lunch: 11:35 - 12:00
Please call the attendance line before 8:30am any time your child is absent from school. Harper Attendance Line: 847-512-6250.
Student Drop-off and Pick-up
We have important information posted on signs around school. Please follow these directions. Your cooperation is needed to keep our students safe!
Please be sure to review the Drop Off/Safety Guidelines on the PTO website before the first day of school.
There is a section on Dartmouth Ave. noted as “drop-off zone” only. In this zone, drivers will pull to the side, allow students to leave the car at the curb, and then pull away. This is the only “drop-off zone.”
Kindergarten drop off is at the south end of the school on Dartmouth Ave. Cars must have a “K” emblem displayed on the right dashboard.
If you would like to come into the school, please make sure to park in an area on the street that allows parking.
Friday Early Dismissal Reminder
As a reminder, with the start of the 2019-20 school year, 2:15pm-3:15pm supervision for our Friday Early Dismissal will be offered only to families who meet one of the following criteria:
Your child attends the Park District After School Recreation Program and takes the 3:15pm bus from Harper to the Wilmette Park District Recreation Center.
You have a child in grades 1-4 who has a sibling in PM kindergarten.
Your child participates in a Friday After School Park District 3:15pm club at your home school (Harper).
- Harper Hoedown! Please join us for some family fun! We will have fun for all ages with exciting games, bounce houses, slides and pop-a-shot, petting zoo, pony rides, face painting and more! New this year is a 50/50 raffle with 50% of the proceeds to benefit the Wilmette Food Pantry. Bring canned goods and get 5 prize tickets. Sunday, September 22nd from 11:30 am—2:30 pm. Tickets available in advance at welcome coffee or at http://www.harperpto.com/harper-hoedown
- Harper Parent Social: SAVE THE DATE for the Harper Parent Social, November 1st. Come mix and mingle with fellow Harper Parents, this event will be held at the A.Perry Homes event space in downtown Wilmette. More information to come!
- Want to be a Room Parent?! Sign up at the Parent Coffee on the first day of school! Can't make the coffee? Email Laurel Nelson at email@example.com.
- The Harper Garden needs parent volunteers in order to be open. No gardening experience or prep needed, plus it is a fun way to see your kids during recess. Just sign up, show up and feel free to bring little siblings! See sign up below.
- We love it when parents come to help in the cafeteria during lunchtime! The cafeteria runs smoothly and you can eat lunch with your child(ren). As in the past, please sign up using the link below. This year, the lunch timings have changed slightly - 11:15am-12:15pm. Thank you for helping out - we are looking forward to a wonderful year!
You can buy your Yearbook NOW
You can purchase your yearbook now at a discounted price of $23. Please remember to put in your teachers name, as this allows for a smooth distribution at the end of the year. Also, send any first day of school photos to firstname.lastname@example.org (these must be taken on school grounds). http://jostensyearbooks.com/?REF=A09862418
- iGNITE! is an initiative led by Harper’s PTO that is dedicated to finding and bringing our students exciting, multi-sensory programs and activities. Your $125/child at Harper donation is the main PTO fundraiser (no wrapping paper or magazine sales required). The district does NOT pay for your child's field trip, you do through your generous iGNITE! donation.
- There are three ways to donate:
- 1. Donate Online Here: http://harperpto.com/ignite-donation/
- 2. Drop off a check in the iGNITE! folder in the Harper Lobby. Please make the check payable to Harper
- PTO and include your child’s name on the check.
- 3. Pay with a Credit Card at the iGNITE! table present in the Harper Lobby during the Curriculum Nights.
All announcements to be included in the Harper Happenings should be sent to Kelly Maggio via the Communication Request Form by Mondays at 9 am. If you do not receive an email response within 24hrs, please send an email to email@example.com to confirm your Communication Request Form was received.
For more school information, visit the Harper PTO website.
For additional D39 community events, visit wilmette39.org