MHS Counseling Newsletter
Grades 9-12 October 2020 Edition
- Google Classroom Codes
- Homecoming Spirit Week & Information
- MHS Pep Rally
- Senior Headshot
- Sign up to see your school counselor
- College Information
- Current Scholarships
- Guidelines for Student Covid Related Illness
10/5-10/9 Spirit Week
10/8 - Pep Rally
10/15 Parent Teacher Virtual Conferences
10/19-10/23 Fall Break - NO SCHOOL
11/4- ASVAB Test
GRADE LEVEL GOOGLE CLASSROOMS
Please join your google classroom if you haven’t already done so. Here you will get class information, announcements, student government election information, voting, etc.. It is arranged by class below. For example, if you are a Freshman, you would join the 2024 google classroom.
is the link and 74rid3o is the code for 2021
is the link and hiq7zra is the code for 2022
is the link and y2csewo is the code for 2023
is the link and 3azcrqs is the code for 2024
HOMECOMING SPIRIT WEEK & INFORMATION
Miamisburg High School has canceled the homecoming dance, homecoming parade, and powderpuff game this fall due to social distancing concerns and other factors related to current health and safety protocols.
We will still have a homecoming court.
· King and queen will be announced during a boys soccer game on October 8 at Holland Field. The announcement will occur between the JV and varsity soccer game at 7:00 pm and will also be live-streamed.
See Mrs. Brockert in room 221 or email her at firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.
Homecoming Spirit Week is taking place October 5th - October 9th.. Students may show their school spirit by dressing up for the theme.
The theme for the week is as follows:
Tie Dye Tuesday
Favorite Team Wednesday
Burg Spirit Friday
MHS PEP RALLY
Thursday Oct 8th @ 1:30 on Holland Field Rain Make-Up Date Friday Oct 9th @ 1:30 on Holland Field
· Only Seniors and Juniors will attend the live rally.
· Seniors and Juniors from CTC, CCP and Online Learning are welcome to attend.
· Freshman and Sophomores may watch the rally via live stream in their 10th period classrooms.
· We will possibly have a live stream to watch from home. (More information to come.)
· Due to our capacity limitations at Holland Field, visitors are NOT permitted to attend. However, the show will be recorded and a viewing link will be shared.
The PSAT will be administered at the high school on Thursday, October 29th from 7:30 a.m. to 10:30 a.m.. The cost of the test is $17. Once you sign up for the test by submitting your information on this form, the $17 fee will be added to your school fees. The test fee of $17 will only be refunded to students who miss due to an extenuating circumstance. Please do not sign up for this test unless you are sure you wish to take it. There are limited seats this year due to COVID 19. The PSAT is a qualifying test for the National Merit Scholarship. Some of the highest scoring JUNIORS may win college scholarship money. This test is perfect for college bound JUNIORS. This test is ONLY open to Juniors this year due to the limited seating. The test will be offered on a first come first serve basis by signing up on this form. Please note that there are only 60 seats for this test.
Please note that you will be required to come in to do a pre-administration prior to the test. This information will be shared with you at least 1 week in advance.
A free study guide and practice test can be found at the following link:
To sign up for the PSAT follow this link. You must be logged into your school email account. https://forms.gle/kgyr1pPnEZR2LUEK6
*If your student receives free or reduced lunch they may be eligible for a fee waiver, they will need to get this from their counselor.
Senior Headshots: Easterling Studios is the official yearbook photographer for MHS. Senior Photos: If you have not yet been photographed by Easterling Studios for your senior portrait, please call them at 937-222-8410 to schedule your headshot appointment! All headshots need to be taken by the beginning of January. Please contact Mrs. Houtz-Gillman, email@example.com with questions.
Samaritan Behavioral Health (SBIRT)
SBIRT stands for Screening, Brief Intervention, and Referral to Treatment. Students will be screened, like a hearing or vision screening, for depression, drug and alcohol issues and tobacco product use. SBIRT offers some simple, useful tools to address possible concerns for your child.
A representative will be at the high school after fall break to begin the screening. An opt-out form has been sent home with each student (or emailed to PLP students). If you do not want your child to participate in the screening, the opt-out form must be signed and returned to the high school by October 16th.
Extra opt-out forms are available in the Main Office and Student Services.
Scheduling MHS Parent Teacher Conferences - Oct 15, 2020 2:30 PM- 6:00 PM
1. Starting on Oct. 1st at 8 a.m. you may go to www.myconferencetime.com/miamisburghs/
2. Click on the name of your child’s teacher.
3. Select the desired time for your virtual conference by clicking on “Sign Up.”
4. Submit the requested information.
If you have several children attending our school, click on “Register for Multiple Conferences” and follow the prompts to schedule your children for several conferences.
There are no in person meetings this year. All conferences will be virtual. After you schedule a conference online, the time is reserved for you. You will receive an email confirmation of your conference.
If you are unable to sign up for a time and date online, please contact Mrs. Kerwin or Mrs. Shock at (937)866-0771.
MOUNT ST. JOSEPH UNIVERSITY
THE OHIO STATE UNIVERSITY
THE OHIO STATE UNIVERSITY (Webinar hosted on 10/15 @ 5 p.m.)
THE UNIVERSITY OF AKRON
THE UNIVERSITY OF NORTH CAROLINA AT CHAPEL HILL
UNITED STATES MILITARY WEST POINT ACADEMY
- Mortuary Science Scholarship Program. This national scholarship is for students interested in Mortuary Science who demonstrate the core values of Excellence, Trust, Care, and Growth. Six $3,500 will be awarded along with eight $500 scholarships. The deadline for this scholarship is October 23, 2020. To apply, please visit www.NFSGI.com/scholarship
Elks "Most Valuable Student" Contest. All high school seniors are eligible to enter the contest for awards ranging from $4,000 to $5,000. Applications can be obtained by visiting the following: enf.elks.org/mvs. The application must be completed online and due date is November 15, 2020.
- Discover Student Loans is offering a chance for students to win $5,000 with the college covered scholarship. This is a monthly scholarship national drawing. They draw a $5000.00 scholarship at the end of each month, and students are randomly selected to win. Students can access the scholarship here: https://scholarship.collegecovered.com/ This scholarship ends January 21, 2021.
GUIDELINES FOR STUDENT COVID RELATED ILLNESS
In the interest of COVID-19 safety and keeping our schools open, should your child experience any of the following symptoms, please be sure to specify this when calling in student absences. The symptoms include:
· Persistent cough
· Shortness of breath
· Nausea or vomiting
· Loss of taste or smell
· Difficulty breathing
· Sore throat
Should your child experience any of these symptoms, we ask that you quarantine for 10 days starting with the date the symptoms first appeared as being Day 1. If you know that your child has been exposed to a COVID-19 positive person, we ask that you quarantine for 14 days, with Day 1 being the date of exposure. Please make us aware of the quarantine for contact tracing purposes. Again, we thank you for helping to keep us all safe.