The Manning Weekly Newsletter
February 15, 2019
Thank you to all of you who visited us on Valentines Day for Parent Teacher Conferences. Big shout out to the PTA and everyone who contributed to the staff dinner by bringing in desserts and beverages! We are so lucky to have a community who goes the extra mile to take care of us on our long days. Thank you so much!
We have a lot going on at Manning, so please take a moment and read through this week's edition of the Newsletter, while enjoying an extended weekend.
David / Mr. Luongo
3 Day Weekend for Presidents Day
Today is the Last Day for 8th Grade Well Wishes!
If you are interested in adding a Well Wish for your student in the yearbook, you should purchase a 1/4 page advertisement add-on. Cost is $10 extra.
The deadline to purchase a well wish is February 15, 2019.
For more information and specific directions visit the Manning Website--> Family Resources-->Yearbook page.
Soli Ficco Wins the Spelling Bee
Spring Sports are Right around the Corner!
Spanish Students Expand Vocabulary by Lip Synching
Artists Create Self Portraits with Wire
8th Grade Scientists Learn about Orbits through an Online Simulator
A Small Group of Writers Work on Their Appositive Phrases
Practice Makes Perfect
City Strings Guitar is Starting up on February 27th!
6th Grade Political Cartoons on Display
6th Graders Held a Red Carpet Geology Party
6th Grade scientists dressed up as Geologists science celebrated the success of their National Geographic Internship by reading and evaluating their peers published articles.
Best Geologist Costumes:
Zoe Miller, Owen Fulkerson, Sean Lann, Milo Messina, Riley Kopser, Logan Dorsey, Lizzy Perone, Beate Taylor, Camy Ricketson, Ally Ricketson, Allie Neal, Jonah Heil, Will Burczyk, and Maddie Yoder
Camy Ricketson, Ally Ricketson, Hayden Noyes, Elena Wiletsky, Aubrey Pasquale, Augie Hazel, Caden McNew, Brooke Gathard, & Joslyn Gernat
Arvada West HS Will Visit Manning Feb 20
Message from the PTA
Please join us for our General Meeting on Wednesday, February 20 at 8:30 am in the conference room. We are looking for one person to complete the Nominating Committee. This is a short-term position that will help us find great people to serve on the PTA board for the next school year.
Day Without Hate - April 26th
This year, our Manning Student Council is encouraging students to participate in our Day Without Hate on Friday, April 26th by wearing this T-shirt to school. If you decide not to purchase the shirt, we still encourage you to where white on April 26th, but T-shirts are only $5!
Manning Talent Show - Friday, March 15th at 6:00 pm
Do you have a special talent? Come audition for the Manning Talent Show!
Auditions: Wed. 2/27 from 2:30-3:30 in the auditorium.
Students need to come to their audition prepared! We will provide a chair or stool, microphone, piano, ability to play MP3 from a phone or other device, and a CD player. Anything else needs to be provided by the student.
This talent show will be judged and we may not accept all auditions.
Students who are selected to perform will have 2 mandatory rehearsals and 1 dress rehearsal.
Wed. Mar. 6th from 2:30-3:30 p.m. - rehearsal
Wed., Mar. 13th from 2:30-3:30 p.m. - rehearsal
Fri., March 15th from 1:15-2:15 p.m. - dress rehearsal (this is an early release day, so please bring a sack lunch as lunch is not provided)
Fri., March 15th - 6:00 p.m. PERFORMANCE!
Jeffco Schools Foundation is Asking for Gala Donations
Another Way to Contribute is to Go to the Nuggets Game on March 2nd - Jeffco Community Night
Europe Trip! Info Meeting March 6th
Anyone Looking for a Job? Jeffco's Food & Nutrition Department is Hiring
CrossFit Kids is Coming to Applewood
~ Chelsea Canda
Sticky Fingers (Cooking Enrichment Class) Starts up again on February 20th
Any Girls Looking to Play Softball?
Golden Girls Softball registration is open for the 2019 spring/summer season! We are a recreational league with teams for girls from ages 5-18. We play against other teams in Jefferson County, so travel is limited! Practices start in April with games May-July.
Register online today at: http://www.goldengirlssoftball.org
Dinosaur Ridge Summer Camp
Dinosaur Ridge Camps are an unforgettable adventure! Our camps keep kids moving and discovering in the incredible setting of our National Natural Landmark. These experiences are designed to foster excitement and wonder for science, art, and the outdoors while engaging in our hands-on educational curriculum.
Our small group sizes give every camper the opportunity to play, explore, and expand their knowledge. Each camp offers exploration of the Dinosaur Ridge fossil sites, hands-on science projects, as well as expert guest presenters in the fields of paleontology, geology, art, earth science, survival skills, and local plants and animals.
2019 Summer Camp Sessions
- June 3-7: Fossils & Fun (Ages 6-10)
- June 10-14: Rock Stars (Ages 10-13)
- June 17-21: Junior Scientists (Ages 8-11)
- June 24-28: Nature Trekkers (Ages 6-10)
- July 8-12: Fossils & Fun (Ages 6-10)
- July 15-19: STEAM Week *NEW!! (Ages 8-11)
- July 22-26: Junior Scientists (Ages 8-11)
- July 29-August 2: Nature Trekkers (Ages 6-10)
- August 5-9: Fossils & Fun (Ages 6-10)
Summer Camp Details
- 9 weeks of camp (June 3-August 9) (9 am-3 pm*)
- Early-bird registration starts January 14--TODAY! Save $25 off each camp with registration before February 15.
- $300/week for FODR members OR $325/week for non-members
- 6-13-year olds
- *Post-camp program available
- Click here for more details on our summer camps.
Snapology - Enrichment Option on Wednesdays
On Wednesdays in January, we will be offering new enrichment. "Drone Commander" will begin in on January 16th, and "Video Game Design" will begin on February 27th. Click on the links to register. There are only 12 spots available for each class.
Drone Commander: https://embed.snapology.com/licensee/71/events/37254
Video Game Design: https://embed.snapology.com/licensee/71/events/37255
Follow Manning on Instagram! username- manningschool
Please follow us on facebook, too! @themanningschooljeffco
Looking for Something Fun?
Anne Frank Field Trip
Annual Jeffco Writing Challenge & Jeffco's "I Love to Read" Challenge!
Welcome back to the ENC Jeffco Writing Challenge! Last year we had over 1,200 writing entries K-12, from Jeffco Schools! This year 1st place students will again receive a $100 prize and ENC is donating funds to the schools with the highest percentage of writing entries as well. Last year ENC gave away prizes for 1st-3rd place writing entries for every grade and, ENC also added an Honorable Mention category due to such great response.
Manning can also enter the 3rd Annual Jeffco Book Challenge - "I Love to Read," contest and the winning school will receive a donation from ENC in 2019. Students who submit a winning "I Love to Read," statement will be eligible for a gift card as well, as incentive for the entire school to be involved! See our attached flyer for more information.
An eBook will be posted on the ENC website with all the winning entries. The final deadline for all entries for both the Jeffco Writing Challenge and the Jeffco Book Challenge “I Love to Read," contest is February 28, 2019. The final deadline of February 28, 2019 is when all entries for both contests must be received by ENC.
Sponsored by ENC - Education Nonprofit Corporation-
Reminder to Utilize Tutor Time in the Morning 7:50 - 8:15
- Monday - Math or Electives
- Tuesday - Math or English or 6th Grade Science
- Wednesday - Math or Social Studies
- Thursday - Math or Science
- Friday - Math
What do we want kids to know and be able to do? (Curriculum, Vertical Alignment)
How will we know when they’ve learned it? (Assessment)
What will we do if they haven’t learned it? (Re-teach, Intervention)
What will we do if they already know it? (Extension)
At Manning, we strive to live our core values every day.
- Brayden Bergren is so honest with himself and his teachers about his accomplishments and his struggles. He holds himself accountable to do his very best.
- Kahler Cardone was in gym class and showed great honesty with the scoreboard. Some people in gym were giving their freinds free points but Kahler was honest.
- Kendyl Weston came to school and forgot she had her phone with her. She asked her teacher at the start of class if she could put it in her locker instead of trying to sneak it around. Thanks Kendyl.
- Nora Ambro is always such a great friend. She is always there for you and always wanting to hang out with you
- Samuel Johnson is a great friend to everyone
- Mr. Crawford always tries hard to make sure his lessons are fun and entertaining, as well as educational
- Adan Marquez is always trying to get a a smile on everybodies face a he is always giving me quotes for the day.
- In our project for business, Anneke Powell, Jackson Plichta, and Grayson Baker worked really hard and put fourth a lot of effort and time. Thanks Guys
- Tero Cook comes into STEM every day right at 8:15 to take down all the stools for the class. Thanks Tero!
- Ayden McCanless always tries his best to get along with the 7th graders in our business class. He always makes them feel comfortable.
- Blake Holmes made his team work hard and try and make his presentation well done.
- When he needed help with school, Brayden Bergren went out of his way to ask for help from a teacher.
- Caitlyn Shull, Sydney Kitchens, Brayden Bergren, Maizy Hoffman, and Jake Lowrie all signed up to go above and beyond by creating the cover art for the National Park Project in science class. Thank you for the extra work to make our cover look amazing!
- Devyn McDonald helped and worked very hard in our business class, create a can presentation.
- Devyn McDonald works so hard on her homework! She gets home and starts and works until 10 to finish everything! Everyday we text helping eachother on our homework and we plan, schedule, and remind each other about our homework! I would have really bad grades if it wasn't for her! Thank you Devyn!!!
- Ethan is always wanting to help people and is being kind to everybody.
- Elaina Roboff is an amazing friend and she worked so hard to get everything done in my class and she always works hard.
- Elania was the leader of my group in buisness and she really worked hard to keep us on task.
- Grayson and Montana helped me after I got back from my trip to jump right into the current project in business class. We had to design a can and show our design to three judges.
- Glen the janitor shows great effort in plowing the snow so we can walk home safely. He also always stays after hours to clean up the school.
- Jack Robinson went out of his way to help me do a project in language arts and when I forgot to turn it in he reminded me that I needed to turn it in.
- Jackson Plichta went on a vacaton to flordia. But he was placed in our group for bissnues. When he came back he got started and help us go far in our progect and almost get completely done like he never left!
- The Janitors are always looking out for the kids and pick up after us no matter how big of a mess it is.
- HUGE SHOUTOUT to Lauren Rossano for creating postcards, flyers, and more for our Europe 2020! She used Canva to create awesome designs that highlight the features of our trip. You rock!
- In badminton in gym, Liam Farrow showed great effort to try to get it over the net.
- Liam Farrow made sure that his groups project was finished and ready to present.
- Luke Henry never gave up and always tried his best
- Max Siegal always knows how to make you laugh and is always there for you
- Meilin Wiencke is really helpful and cheers me up. For example, I was upset at myself for certain reasons, and Meilin made me laugh and cheer up.
- Mr. Crawford works hard and trying his best to teach 8th grade social studies.
- Mr Crawford, Mr Sawyer, and Mr Hughs took time out of their planning period to come and listen to the business classes presentations. Thank you!
- Mr G. always puts effort into making learning spanish easy and fun!
- Mr Hughes is a great teacher, and his class is always very engaging. Mr Hughes class is equally engaging and fun.
- Mr. Hughes was nice in the fake interview
- Mr. Jonson is a very hard working and helping teacher. He helps other students understand the projects we do in class.
- Mr. Olsen plowed all the sidewalks around the school so we could walk safely.
- Mrs. Beattie is always trying to be there for us and always having a good attitude!
- Mrs. Pouliot is really nice and makes sure people are okay. For example, during the fire drill (that wasn't really a drill) this week, I was in short sleeves. She made sure that I was warm enough and had people huddle around me so I could warm up.
- In French class, Mrs. Pouliot always makes sure that her students are understanding the words and puts in a lot of effort to make French projects fun and interesting. Thanks for being a great teacher!!
- Mrs.K is always working super hard to make 2nd period creative writing super fun. she is always rewarding her students for their hard work and effort which gives them motivation to do their work. Overall she is a great teacher and loves to help her students have fun while learning.
- Despite having a tragic something happen to her, Ms. Claussen came to school and was the great teacher she is as always.
- Mrs. Retke always puts her best foot forward and tries her best to help you.
- Noah Anderson did not want to waste food so when he saw food on the ground, apperantly he ate it for his daily dose of spice????
- Our lunch ladies work so hard every day to prepare and serve our meals! Every day the meals are always prepared on time, and if you ask me to feed over two hundred kids that's pretty incredible! Even if we take it for granted we all appreciate it more than we know! Thank you for all you do!
- Sawyer Johns worked really hard on his chair addition and got 2nd chair.
- Mr. Jonson makes the class so much fun. He is constantly moving and working with students. He walks on his knees, he is funny and answers your questions in such a way that makes you smile. I am excited to go to class and I hate it when class ends.
- Vincent Ma got 7th place in Mathcounts and Nick Shweiker got 2nd in mathcounts! They worked really hard to get the places!
- Zach Rahmani is never satisfied with just okay. He always takes a chance to redo and learn from mistakes, even if he did well the first time. Love the growth mindset Zach!
- Ali Walters and Racine Rieke - Congratulations, and thank you, for posting online reviews of your independent reading novels on Amazon and Goodreads!
- Chase Krol is always so kind to me and always a good friend. He comforts me when I am sad, and he keeps my spirit up.
- Maddie Weiser is one of my best friends and always cheers me up when I'm down. I can always count on her to make me feel better or to just make me laugh.
- Malarie Eckelberg is a cool pal, who tries hard to achieve her goals
- Mrs. Zamora makes math fun and tries to make it more interesting by making us laugh. She is so nice and such a great teacher to have.
- Wow! Thanks, Racine Rieke, for choosing a novel for your independent reading, by an author that we read in class and whose writing style inspired you to challenge yourself. And, thanks for writing a review of this book on Amazon.
- Roman Anderson, thank you for relating your independent reading essay to the topics we have been discussing in class. Wow! Nice job.
- Sydney Hertel is always so organized and on top of her work. She doesn't let any distraction get in her way and she is always up to help anyone with work in a kind and responsible way! :)
- Tatum Marsh volunteered to create the cover of her class magazine. She took the time to create a google form to ask her peers for more information to help her design a cover that met the needs of her peers. Thank you for going above and beyond Tatum!
- Carter Beckford is always very respectful
- Elizabeth Swanson, Sophie Wong and Meilin Weinke shared their culture with their Manning family by sharing facts about Chinese New Year on the announcements and teaching us to say "Happy New Year" in Mandarin. Thank you for helping us to celebrate the one of the many cultures represented at Manning.
- Ilaria Zarlengo is a vary kind person and helps me out when I am feeling down. She has never ditched me for someone else, but has always stick by my side.
- Jackson Plichta is always respectful, stands up for me, and always is willing to lighten the mood.
- Liam Mapes, Cameron Shull, and Cameron White are always nice to me and they are really great friends and whenever I am sad they make me laugh.
- Max Quimby is very kind to everyone and a great friend
- Montana Joy helped me with my homework when I got back a place.
- Mr. G is always really thoughtful about assignments and hes an awesome teacher.
- Mr. Grenawalt gave all of his spanish classes an extra day to work on their songs that they have to sing because we had a snow day and not many people were prepared.
- During the fire drill I saw Mr. Jonson give his coat to a student that was cold. This made me think that it is pretty cool how many of the teachers care about their students here are Manning
- Mr. Richardson - Being a good teacher
- Mrs. Burg is always a caring and kind teacher and she always makes sure I am doing okay.
- Mrs. Sawyer didn't have much homework for me when I got back from my trip.
- Ms. Evans and Ms. Edoff are always there for me to talk to, their faces always light up when you walk into the room. They are super nice gals, and they are the best people, they light up my school life. So a very huge thank you to the best of gals I know!
- Nick Bauszus always has a smile on his face, and a positive attitude towards his work and other people around him. In access he is always helpful to everyone, respectful of others time, and works hard to get all of his homework done.
- Peter Lasell shows respect to everyone around him and it makes everyone feel Respected
- Reina Klatt is always kind to others. She holds the door for other students coming from classes in the temporary buildings.
- Samantha Kruger is a great friend and helps me when I am struggling with either homework or other things. She is always there for me, and is always kind and honest.
- Sydney Hertel is respectful to everyone around her. She is always there to lend a helping hand and will always help you when you get stuck on a problem. Sydney is a great influance, and always has something exciting to say that will make you smile.
- Sydney Hertel volunteers time each week to tutor another student. She is kind and considerate of others.
- Tommy Reddinger has always been a good friend who I can always get a good laugh out of, and can always brighten my day!
- Ceci Moran helped my study for a test and when I took the test I did great on it thank you for all your help ceci.
- Chloe Flanagan is working so hard for her part as Gabrellia in the musical! I can't wait to see what she does with her charter! Keep on going Chloe you will do great!
- Everyday I see Cora Larson in access and if I ever have a question or if anyone does she is always willing to help out her fellow peers. She is very kind and when you have a road block and you cant figure something out you can ask her for a helping hand.
- Joslyn Gernat alwasy helps me when im feeling really stressed about things.
- Liam Farrow works hard everyday in class to help out his team
- Lili Burnham was such a good workmate when we were working on our designs for design thinking. She was cooperative, respectful, and hardworking!
- Lucy Gordon is a very kind person that makes me laugh when I´m sad . She always tries to fix the problems that we have right away.
- Luke Watts and I make an awesome rap group and we make bars. Lil way and lil shrimp
- Maddy helped me with a math problem I did not understand and helped me get it done just in time. Thanks!
- Mr. Crawford, Mr. Hughes, and Mr. Sawyer volunteered two of their days and gave up their own personal time to listen to students presentations. They gave great feedback that will help the students succeed more.
- Mrs. Melaine Heesacker always helps me with last minute logistics. Thank you for always supporting teachers and keeping us all organized!
- During the fire drill Mrs. Whitacre let us all go into her cottage for a while so we could all warm up! Thank you so much!
- Thank you, Nick DeCianne and Alexei Uecker for being our 8th-grade "gentlemen" and leaders in Word Wonder I, period 1! It's nice having you both in class again.
- Noah is always very helpful during art
- Peter Lasell and CJ LeBlanc work really well together. They make sure their decision making values both of their perspectives and is equitable.
- We're in the same digital design class and I would have been way behind and very confused, but Sam Larson helped me, and now I understand it a lot better now.
- Sofia Aguilar is always doing her best and always puts her full effort into her work. When ever I need help or even when I don't she says she'll help and she'll help even if she doesn't know how to do it. She is kind and respectful to all her peers and she is always trying her best to do her best and she inspires others, like me.
- Vance Colle was really nice when we had to make a fake company project