By Anna Mattingly
What is Cystic Fibrosis
Chromosone 7 with the Cystic Fibrosis Trans-membrane Conductance Regulator
Symptoms of Cystic Fibrosis
- A persistent cough that produces thick mucus
- Exercise intolerance
- Repeated lung infections
- Inflamed nasal passages or a stuffy nose
- Foul-smelling, greasy stools
- Poor weight gain and growth
- Intestinal blockage, particularly in newborns
- Severe constipation
Complications of Cystic Fibrosis
"Organs Most Frequently Affected by Cystic Fibrosis." WebMD. WebMD, n.d. Web. 07 Dec. 2015. <http://www.webmd.com/lung/organs-most-frequently-affected-by-cystic-fibrosis>.
Treatment for Cystic Fibrosis
- People with Cystic Fibrosis cannot be close to each other because it can risk cross-contamination or cross-infection.
"Cross-infection." - Cystic Fibrosis Trust. N.p., n.d. Web. 07 Dec. 2015. <http://www.cysticfibrosis.org.uk/about-cf/living-with-cystic-fibrosis/cross-infection>.
"How Cystic Fibrosis Affects the Sweat Glands-Topic Overview." WebMD. WebMD, n.d. Web. 07 Dec. 2015. <http://www.webmd.com/lung/tc/how-cystic-fibrosis-affects-the-sweat-glands-topic-overview>.
"How Cystic Fibrosis Affects Breathing and the Lungs-Topic Overview." WebMD. WebMD, n.d. Web. 07 Dec. 2015. <http://www.webmd.com/lung/tc/how-cystic-fibrosis-affects-breathing-and-the-lungs-topic-overview>.
"Cystic Fibrosis." Symptoms. N.p., n.d. Web. 07 Dec. 2015. <http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/cystic-fibrosis/basics/symptoms/con-20013731>.