AIS Friday Flash
Friday, February 25, 2022
"El Monstruo de Colores” Spanish show
Our CM1 students led by Ms. Marta put on a fantastic Monster Showcase in Spanish today for our other AIS students to enjoy. ¡Bravo! to our great performers and thank you to Ms. Marta for your great inspiration and coordination. Even our youngest PS students were transfixed throughout the performance.
Final deadline for DELF A2 Registrations!
Today is the final deadline to register for the DELF A2 Prim for CE2, CM1, CM2 students. The DELF (Diplôme d'Études en Langue Française or Diploma of French Languages Studies) is an official qualification awarded by the French Ministry of Education to certify the competency of candidates from outside France in the French language. It is a certificate that is valid for life and is an excellent academic credential for your children to have. This exam will take place at AIS between March 8 and March 10, 2022 (i.e., individual speaking evaluation on March 8-9 and group written evaluation on March 10) for CE2, CM1, and CM2 students. Please take a moment to submit the online DELF registration form today to reserve your child’s spot!
Continuous Re-enrollment due Monday - Mon., 2/28
Re-enrollment has begun! Please check your inboxes (sent to 1 "enrollment responsible" parent/guardian) for emailed information, a process flowchart, and Frequently Asked Questions about our new Continuous Enrollment Process. We have also shared the 2022-2023 School Calendar and the 2022-2023 Tuition & Fees Schedule here. Please note the important required steps summarized below for our new streamlined process.
Registration for new families will begin on March 1st, so secure your spot by February 28th with the following steps.
If returning to AIS:
- You are automatically pre-enrolled to secure a spot for the 2022-2023 school year and every year after until your child(ren) graduate from AIS.
- Your child(ren)'s re-enrollment is finalized when you complete your Continuous Enrollment Contract (CEC) by 2/28/22. (One & Done - This will be the last enrollment you need to complete for AIS unless you choose to opt-out in a future year.)
- Families should also update important information in the WebForms section of their Family Portal by 3/31/22.
- Families should also update FACTS information and select a payment plan by 3/31/22.
- Deposits and fees will be auto charged on 5/1/22.
Completing the necessary steps by the end of February allows families to take advantage of early commitment discounted tuition plus a deferred payment plan to begin in August 2022 for the remaining tuition installments as elected.
- If CECs are not completed in February, tuition rates increase, deposits and annual fees will be due upon processing, and remaining tuition installments will begin each month thereafter. In addition, due to limited capacity in numerous grades, class spaces may not be guaranteed as enrollment for new students begins March 1st.
If you will NOT be returning to AIS:
- You must let AIS know by 2/28/22 via an Opt-Out Form. Otherwise, deposit and fees will be withdrawn in May.
- Please reach out to Mathilde or April with any questions or to set up a time to discuss your considerations further.
- Complete a new student application in RenWeb
- You will receive an offer to enroll before March 1st outlining the next steps.
Next Week is Literacy Week - 2/28 thru 3/4
AIS is excited to host a campus-wide Literacy Week all next week as a special reminder of the intrinsic value of being lifelong readers and writers. Here are great ways your child(ren) can participate:
- Design a favorite book cover to be displayed near the Media Center. One winner will be chosen per cycle and will receive a special prize. You can use this book cover template to get started.
- Students can write a haiku poem. All poems will be submitted to an online publication in April.
- Students may create a fun literacy-themed puzzle to be on display in our halls.
- Middle School students will be reading to younger AIS students during our Storytime sign-ups.
- On Wednesday, March 2nd, all AIS students can come to school dressed as their favorite book character for our Storybook Parade.
On Friday, March 4th, we will have a school-wide read-a-thon with special classroom guests.
We will continue the celebration the following week of March 7th to culminate all the activities with a Gallery Walk for students to view all the literacy work which will be posted here on Padlet for families to view as well.
Gala Tickets & Sponsorship on Sale Now!
We are excited to host our Virtual 11th Annual Gala on Saturday, April 2nd, 2022, beginning at 6:30 pm. For those who are new to AIS, our annual gala is, by far, the biggest fundraiser of the year for our school . With your partnership and participation, it brings in $85k-$100k annually to support our unique global education, fostering sustainability and providing essential funds to support your child(ren) and our school community. Our gala program consists of a silent auction, a live auction of student artwork, and a Raise the Paddle portion which directly supports scholarships for our faculty's children to attend AIS.
Even though we will be virtual, we look forward to celebrating with you in fun and interactive ways. Our program will include a mixology lesson, live music, and video highlights of our students in action. Tickets and Sponsorship are on sale here. There are various sponsorship levels to choose from and some of these benefits include bottles of red or white wine; charcuterie baskets with homemade bread, jams, and crackers; delicious desserts; a cocktail kit with all the mixings; and more...all to enjoy from the comfort of home. These packages will be distributed the week before our gala and/or delivered to your home the day of the event, so you can enjoy them as you watch, participate, and give during the event. We look forward to "seeing you" at the event and thank you, as always, for your support and participation!
Looking for Silent Auction Items
There are also other ways to help support the event. We are on the lookout and would welcome the following donated items: use of a second/vacation home to offer up to AIS families as a vacation stay in our auction; gift cards to incorporate into other auction bundles; clothing, beauty, home accessories; services from spas, boutiques, other local area establishments; concert, sports, or performance tickets, or anything else you may think may be a hot ticket item. Please don't hesitate to reach out with any questions for me or the gala committee at firstname.lastname@example.org or to discuss corporate marketing opportunities further.
Changes to Adaptive Protocols
We are encouraged by the continued improvement of the health situation in the Austin area. Moreover, health trends at our school have moved in a much better direction over the past few weeks with 1-2 cases of COVID reported per week since February 7th; contact tracing has established no clear close contacts since February 7th. In vaccine-eligible grades, 70% of children are fully vaccinated and an additional 10% have recovered from illness within the last 90 days, bringing our level of biosecurity up to 80% in vaccine-eligible grades. We continue to meet with public health officials and medical experts to support us in our decision-making processes. With this in mind, our adaptive protocols will move to the following beginning on Monday:
- Face coverings at Level 2. Masks are required indoors and recommended outdoors.
- Physical Distancing at Level 3. Indoors, at least 3’ of distance is required, where feasible, with mask use. There is no physical distancing requirement outdoors.
- Cohorting at Level 2. Reduced contact between grade-level cohorts.
With the CDC’s revised guidance on mask usage issued today, we anticipate that we will be able to continue to dial back our protocols over the coming weeks. In the meanwhile, we are committed to continuing our contact tracing and ongoing consultation with health experts to ensure a data-driven approach to our biosecurity efforts at AIS. We wish to thank our entire community for your support of each other as we have navigated the pandemic together.
Head of School Virtual Coffee - Thur., 3/3 9:00 am
Please join Jacques for the first Thursday virtual coffee on Thursday, March 3rd at 9 am to visit with other community members.
Skate Night Spirit Night - Fri., 3/4 5:00 - 10:00 pm
Join us for a night on wheels for a special Skate Night Spirit Night at Playland Skate Center. All guests must show the Spirit Night flyer at the door and for every sale, Playland will donate $4.00 back to AIS! Entry is $9.50 plus tax and includes skate rental and all the fun! It is strongly advised that AIS patrons wear masks while at this event. We look forward to seeing you there.
AIS Spelling Bee Interest
We have begun exploration of participating in an AIS spelling bee. The purpose of a spelling bee is to help students improve their spelling, increase their vocabulary, and learn concepts that will help them throughout their lives. Across the country, millions of students are preparing to compete in spelling bees at the school, local, district, county, regional, and state levels. Some may even advance to the Scripps National Spelling Bee competition in June 2022. While we are not part of the official Scripps competition this year, we are interested in holding a school-wide spelling bee using the Scripps format and word lists. We wish to know if this is something our community would like to see at AIS. Please take a minute to fill out the form. Thank you!
We're Celebrating Black History Month at AIS
We are continuing our celebration of Black History Month at AIS through themed lessons, class discussions, and library readings. Our study of and appreciation for Black History Month highlights important principles we uphold at AIS, namely justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion (JEDI). In honor of Black History Month and in support of people—real and fictional—who uphold these principles around the globe, Mr. Jacques has donated the following titles in French to the AIS library:
- Le chemin de la liberté
- Beurre breton et sucre afghan
- Le garçon au fond de la classe
- Manel et les mélodies secrètes
- Harvey Milk : Non à l’homophobie
To learn more about this year’s French literature donations made in honor of Black History Month, please visit this website. On the same site, you will also find more details about 2021 Black History Month library donations as well as many other JEDI-themed texts available in our school’s library.
Staff In-Service/No School - Fri., 3/11
AIS will be closed on Friday, March 11th for a staff and faculty in-service day.
Zilker Theatre Productions Newsies Auditions at AIS - Sat. & Sun., 3/12 - 3/13
We are excited to once again partner with Zilker Theatre Productions for their annual musical production. ZTP will be conducting auditions the weekend of March 12th and 13th for their upcoming summer show, "Newsies". We will also host them for their rehearsals for the rest of the semester.
Spring Break/No School - 3/14 through 3/25
AIS will be closed for Spring Break the week of March 14th through 18th. We look forward to hosting our campers the week of March 21st for our Spring Break camp. Camp registration is shown above. We will see the rest of our families on Monday, March 28th.
Save the dates
Mark these important upcoming dates on your calendars.
- 2/28 Final Early Commitment Re-enrollments due
- 3/2 Storybook Character Parade
- 3/3 HoS Virtual Coffee
- 3/4 AIS Read-a-thon
- 3/4 Spirit Night at Playland Skate Center
- 3/11 Staff In-Service/No School
- 3/14-3/25 Spring Break
- 3/21-3/25 Spring Break Camp
- 3/31 March Board Meeting
- 4/2 11th Annual Gala
- 4/6 Storytime Open House