Asia Essential Topics
By: Kate Hubbard, Kristen Racz, and Taylor Greaves
China's Growing Economy
- Over the past 30 years China has changed from a centrally planned system that mainly included international trade to a more market-oriented economy.
- The growth in China's economy has mainly been influenced by the increase of exports.
- Their economy has been growing at a rate of 8% and it is now becoming an economic superpower.
- China is the largest exporter and second largest importer in the world.
- In ten to 15 years people have predicted that China could be the largest economic superpower in the world.
- The growth in China's economy has fueled the demand for energy.
- By being the largest exporter and second largest importer in the world, China has provided many goods and services to other countries and has created more business between international countries.
Hinduism Vs. Buddhism
- Originated in India
- Belief in afterlife
- Emphasize the importance of non-violence, compassion, karma, and nature
- Hinduism is not founded by one prophet but Buddhism is founded by Buddha
- Hindus believe in four stages of life and buddhists do not
- Hindus accept Buddha as a God in their religion but Buddhists do not accept any Hindu God that might be equal or more powerful than Buddha
- Buddhists organize themselves into groups such as monks and Hindus do not, it is more based on individual spirituality
China's One Child Policy
- The One Child Policy was put into effect in 1979 by Chinese leader Deng Xiaoping to limit the population growth.
- It prohibits Families from having more than one child, the only way you can go around this rule is to have multiple children births (ex: twins, triplets, etc.)
- There is a fee you have to pay (10,000 Yuans = 1628.96 US dollars per month) for every "extra" child that a family has
- In the Countryside, if girls are the first born in the family, the parents are allowed to have another baby in hope of having a boy
- Experts and the public have been pushing for a phasing out of the policy for years
- It was never designed to be a permanent rule but has been in effect for 34 years
- There are signs on government buildings and on the road that say "When every family benefits from the family planning service, every village will rejoice and blossom."
- They merged the
- These organizations are most likely doing this to slowly ease up on the policy
- Families will most likely try to push back on this policy to test how much power the government still has over them and the policy
- This has prevented 250 million births
Indian Caste System
- Traditional organization of South Asia, but primarily Hindu
- The membership of each caste is determined when you are born.
- Connected to the Hindu concept of the four varnas: Brahmins, or priests., Kshatriyas the warriors, the Vaishyas the merchants, the Shudras, consisting of labourers, artisans and servants who do work that is ritually unclean.
- The four varnas order and rank humanity by spiritual purity.
- Arranged marriages are based off of the caste system.
- There are dietary restrictions and certain jobs that you are allowed to have.
- Principles in the Hindu religion explain the caste hierarchy and how they can interact.
- Each Varna has their own customs and history.
- Discriminating against other castes or people in different castes is against the law.
- We believe this is racism because it is categorizing people based on family which is something that can not be controlled. It is unfair to treat people differently based on family and is racist against these people.
- The Kashmir Conflict is a dispute between India and Pakistan over the Kashmir region
- India claims 43% of the Kashmir region and the major places they have claimed are most of Jammu and Kashmir, the Kashmir Valley, Ladakh, and the Siachen Glacier
- India's claims are contested by Pakistan, which controls approximately 37 % of Kashmir such as, Azad Kashmir, and northern areas of Gilgit and balistan.
- Fought at least three wars over this area
- Very dangerous because both of them declared themselves as nuclear power
- Has been going on for 60 years
- Cross border firing killed ten of thousands of people
- India alone has an estimated six hundred thousand troops in the part it controls
- The prime minister of India, Manmohan Singh, that his government is willing to grant self- government to Kashmir if there is a consensus on the idea
Humpage, Owen. "Economic Trend: China's economy." Federal Bank Reserve of Cleveland. N.p., n.d. Web. 12 May 1922. <http://www.clevelandfed.org/research/trends/2007/0207/03intmar.cfm>.How China is Sneakily Keeping Its Competitive Advantage in this World Recession | PanAsianBiz." PanAsianBiz. N.p., n.d. Web. 23 May 2013. <http://www.panasianbiz.com/world-news/america/how-china-is-sneakily-keeping-its-competitive-advantage-in-this-world-recession/>.PRLog. PRLOG, n.d. Web. 23 May 2013. <http://www.prlog.org/10069669-china-an-insurance-giant.html>.Maharaj, Sant Sevi Ji Paramahans. "Buddhism vs Hinduism - Difference and Comparison | Diffen." Diffen - Compare Anything. Diffen. Discern. Decide.. N.p., n.d. Web. 23 May 2013. <http://www.diffen.com/difference/Buddhi""Kashmir Conflict." wikipedia. Wikipedia, n.d. Web. 13 May 1922. <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kashmir_conflict >.
"Kashmir Conflict." wikipedia. Wikipedia, n.d. Web. 13 May 1922. <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kashmir_conflict >.