Druid Hills High School
Week at a Glance - August 21
Solar Eclipse Viewing - TODAY!
- School hours are from 8:10 - 4:10
- Faculty reporting hours are from 7:50 - the first wave of buses leave (4:30ish). Classified staff will work their usual hours, unless their schedule is adjusted by their supervising administrator.
- 4th period will be from 1:35 - 4:10.
- 4th Work-based Learning students must leave campus by 1:50.
- Students will not be allowed to check themselves out after 1:50. After 2:00, only parents/guardians will be allowed to check-out students.
- Students who are absent to watch the eclipse are allowed to make-up any work missed Monday. However, their absence is considered unexcused.
Opt-in Forms have been placed in 4th period teacher mailboxes. Please distribute them to students TODAY. Students must return the opt-in form to their 4th period teacher. If students do not turn in the opt-in form by Monday at 2pm, they will not be allowed outside.
Bell Schedule (may be tweaked based on when the eclipse event occurs)
- At the top of 4th period, please show this video to provide guidance on how to view the solar eclipse safely
- 2:15 Distribute glasses only to students who turned in a permission form.
- 2:20 Bell to dismiss classes to their evacuation drill stations. Non-participating students will report to the Media Center, (if their 4th period class is in the Science/North building), Theatre (if their 4th period class is in the Main Building), or Gym (if they have Health, PE, or Band 4th period)
- 2:30-3:00 Solar Eclipse viewing **Revised
- 3:05 Tardy Bell ** Revised
DCSD has provided glasses for all students and staff. 4th period teachers can pick up a class set of glasses beginning Friday (please do not wait until 4th period Monday). Please do not wear traditional sunglasses. Additionally, students should put on glasses once they are outside and about to view the event (the glasses are really dark).
Mr. Ingram and Dr. Jackson have provided duty stations for those teachers on 4th period planning.
You are encouraged to incorporate the event into your lesson plans tomorrow and Monday. Here is some resources (shout-out to Ms. Brown):
- Integrated lesson plan created by Curriculum and Instruction
- https://nasaeclips.arc.nasa.gov/teachertoolbox/guidelites - A NASA site with STEM activities for all grade levels.
http://shadowandsubstance.com/2017/02.html#Georgia - A map showing how much of the eclipse will be visible across Georgia.
Students not outside will be able to view the eclipse in the Media Center and Theatre
MAP Testing Begins This Week - from Ms. Darden
We have had a number of enrollments since I first created the schedule, therefore if you have any overflow, please send the extra students to the media center for testing.
To decrease the number of students skipping during testing, students will report to class before going to testing. Please take attendance before sending the students to testing. Proctors will also take attendance during testing. Students should return to class with a signed pass.
Testing will begin as follows:
First Period: 8:30 am
Second Period: 10:00 am
Third Period: 12:00 pm
Fourth Period: 2:00 pm
DCSD - Sprint Digital Dreamers Project - Tuesday Meetings
In the first stage of the Digital Dreamers Program, nearly 300 DH students have been identified to receive mobile hotspots. Meetings will be held Tuesday morning to inform identified students of this opportunity. I have sent an email to teachers listing the names of the students. Please release them at the following times:
- 8:30 9th
- 9:00 10th
- 9:45 11th
- 10:15 12th
Class Meetings This Week - Theatre
A Druid Hills tradition is to hold class meetings with the administrators, counselors, and class sponsors to discuss expectations and upcoming events. Please dismiss your students at the following times. We do ask that you accompany your students if the vast majority are in the grade level.
- 8:20 9th Grade
- 8:20 10th Grade
- 9:50 11th Grade
- 10:30 12th Grade
IB Opportunity - Theory of Knowledge Teacher Needed
504 Student List
HHB Teacher Needed
We already have students who will need HHB support this semester. Please contact Ms. Bouer if you are interested - any staff member with teaching certification is able to participate in this PAID opportunity.
PSAT exam registration for Fall 2017 will begin August 21, 2017 for the PSAT test being administered on Wednesday, October 11, 2017. DCSD covers exam fees for first-time 10th grade students. The exam fees are $18 for other DHHS students and $20 for non-DCSD students.
Students are able to register at the following website https://user.totalregistration.net/PSAT/110162.
The DHAA Fall Fundraiser is FREE to DHHS staff! Pre-registration is required.
Organization/Club Sponsors - Open Streets Emory Village
Save the Date: 5th Annual Open Streets Emory Village – Sunday, October 29, 2 to 6pm
Walk, Bike, or Roll into Emory Village for family friendly, car free fun! Halloween Parade, Dog Costume Contest, Local entertainment, puppet factory, climbing wall, circus performers and more!
Interested in helping plan? Or sponsor? Or provide an activity?
We encourage our sponsors to activate the streets though hands-on activities that engage participants of all ages – bring their businesses out to the street to meet and interact with neighbors. For example, sponsors can host rock walls, interactive installations, pet competitions, art projects, circus acts, photo booths and this year a pre-Halloween costume contest!
For more information, please contact us at OpenStreets@EmoryVillage.org
Monday, August 21
EOC Mid Month thru 8/25
Fall Map Assessment Testing thru 9/27
V Sball @ Galloway 5:30p (Cunningham)
Tuesday, August 22
XC 5:15 DHMS (George)
JV Sball @ Tucker 5:30p (Alexander)
V Sball vs Salem @ DHHS 5:30p (Jackson)
Thursday, August 24
JV Vball v Heritage 5p (Ingram)
Friday, August 25
V Fball vs Columbia @ Godfrey 7:30p (George)
Saturday, August 26
Mock ACT Cafeteria 9-1:30p (Cunningham)
AM Duty/PM Bus Duty
Cafeteria: M. Davis
Science Bldg: Robinzine
Bus Duty: Rice
Bus Duty: C. Smith
A Lunch: Gray/C. Smith
B Lunch: Cole/Mobley
C Lunch: Van de water/Ruben
1ST PERIOD N. BUILDING 500 HALL: HICKEY, ROODE
1ST PERIOD SCIENCE HALL (1ST FLOOR): BOND, GRIFFITH
1ST PERIOD GYM/BAND HALL: RAYBURN, COACH LEE, COACH RENFRO
2nd PERIOD N. BUILDING 500 HALL: WASHINGTON, PALMER
2nd PERIOD SCIENCE HALL (1ST FLOOR): E. BROWN, WINCHESTER
2nd PERIOD GYM/BAND HALL: BETTS, ALLEN
4th PERIOD N. BUILDING 500 HALL: J. HARRIS, BURTON
4th PERIOD SCIENCE HALL (1ST FLOOR): S. BROWN, ROBINSON
4th PERIOD GYM/BAND HALL: PINCKNEY, MOSSES