Southwood Academy of the Arts
January 11th - 15th
Miss Tina's Last Week
8th Grade Students & Parents: IGPs
Ms. Doolittle and Mr. Chamblee will conduct IGP meetings with 8th grade students and their parents in January. Course catalogs and information will be distributed this week. Calendar sign-ups are happening now. General IGP information, the high school course catalog, and more is available through Ms. Doolittle's IGP website linked below. As always, Ms. Doolittle is just an email or phone call (864-260-5205) away.
No School Monday, January 18th - Martin Luther King, Jr. Day!
Martin Luther King, Jr. Day - Janurary 18th
Monday, January 18th, we do not have school in honor of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.'s birthday. This day is set aside to acknowledge Dr. King's life and achievements. This day is an reminder of our nation's past and how a daring man chose to stand up for what is right. Let us remember his dream, his message, and his fight for civil rights!
6th Grade SS Greek Mythology Research
A5 Free Internet Information
This 7 page document has many helpful hints and links for Google Classroom, Google Meet, and much more.
AM Drop Off - front of the school 7:30-8:15!
Masks for Sale in the Main Office
Don't Forget to Wash Your Masks!
Early Dismissal / Appointment Policies
- When you arrive at school, please call the office: 864-260-5205 to let us know you are here to pick up a student for dismissal.
- Make sure to have your license ready and press the buzzer for entrance.
- Once the door is unlocked, be prepared to show your license through the window while you will remain in the foyer. Please DO NOT enter the office area.
- We will have a sign-out sheet in the foyer. Please know that we will get your student to you as quickly as we can.
As of now, all students will be able to receive breakfast and lunch at no cost through the rest of the school year! If you have already made a payment, it will be transferred to the following year.
1. Please wash your hands or use hand sanitizer BEFORE eating.
2. Please wear masks in the lunch line and stand 6 feet apart.
3. Please do not grab utensils, condiments, etc. The cafeteria staff can help!
News from Nurse Rosa
1. Take the temperature of any child demonstrating shortness of breath, loss of taste, sore throat, muscle aches, chills, new or worsening cough, or runny nose.
2. Keep the child at home one or more days to monitor symptoms.
3. If you decide to have a COVID-19 test, notify the school nurse of the results so that the school can implement the Enhanced Health and Safety Protocols in the classroom(s) where your child attended.
*All information will remain confidential between the school and family. No other families will be given the health information of your child.
TDAP: All students are reminded that they must have their Tdap vaccination BEFORE starting 7th grade! Now is the time to schedule an appointment for your 6th grade student. Please submit documentation to Nurse Rosa after immunization.
For any health-related questions, call the office or email Nurse Rosa.
Conditioning will start on Tuesday, January 12th starting at 4:00 pm down at the Hanna Track. All athletes will be picked up in the back parking lot. Mandatory practice starts on February 1st (unless competing in a winter sport) Everyone must complete their Eligibility online through PlanetHS. Athletes cannot come out until all forms are completed! Make sure to sign up for the New Remind App to stay-up-to-date with all information about the 2021 Track Season. This year there is a Parents Remind and an Athletes Remind. Sign up for the correct one.
TLH Boys Tennis
Tryouts for boys tennis team begins February 1st, 2021.
All players interested in trying out for boys tennis must fill out the Google Form below.
All players trying out for boys tennis MUST have their PlanetHS paperwork completed by January 28.
If you have any questions please e-mail Coach Spencer at RobSpencer@anderson5.net
Spring Sports Information
Mrs. Spencer's Reading Recommendation
Seventh-grader Zoey has her hands full as she takes care of her much younger siblings after school every day while her mom works her shift at the pizza parlor. Not that her mom seems to appreciate it. At least there’s Lenny, her mom’s boyfriend—they all get to live in his nice, clean trailer.
At school, Zoey tries to stay under the radar. Her only friend Fuchsia has her own issues, and since they're in an entirely different world than the rich kids, it’s best if no one notices them. Unfortunately, she’s not totally invisible, and one of her teachers forces her to join the debate club. Even though Zoey resists participating, debate ultimately leads her to see things in a new way: her mom’s relationship with Lenny, Fuchsia’s situation, and her own place in this town of people who think they’re better than her. Can Zoey find the courage to speak up, even if it means risking the most stable home she’s ever had?
2020-2021 District Calendar
Southwood Academy of the Arts
Eric Chamblee, Associate Principal & Instructional Facilitator
Paula Doolittle, Guidance
Joshua Powell, Arts Lead Teacher
Cheri Gilbert, Secretary