EduPaths + ADA Compliance
Through our partnership with Alt+Shift
Creating Accessible Materials (Documents, Presentations, Web Sites)
The purpose of the Accessible Materials Made Right series is to increase awareness of what makes digital content accessible and why it really matters, and to equip you with the knowledge and skills needed to begin creating accessible documents.
Create an EduPaths account for free - just click Register. You can access courses already published. See the offerings below.
Accessible Materials Made Right #1: Code and Foundations (30 minutes)
- Understand the law and the codes behind accessibility
- Understand why accessibility matters and who accessibility impacts
- Become familiar with other resources that are available in this series
To go to this course, click AMMR: Code and Foundations
Accessible Materials Made Right #2: Structure and Appearance, Part 1 (45 minutes)
- Know how to address text and other features that make documents accessible.
- Use document styles to make documents navigable.
- Approach the use of columns and tables in documents with an accessibility mindset.
- Understand the use of color in accessible documents.
To go to this course, click AMMR: Structure and Appearance 1
Accessible Materials Made Right #3: Structure and Appearance, Part 2 (30 minutes)
- Understand what alternative text is.
- Generate appropriate alternative text for images, tables, charts and graphs.
- Create closed-captioning for video.
To go to this course, click AMMR: Structure and Appearance 2
Accessibile Materials Made Right #4: Microsoft Office (45 minutes)
- Use and modify styles to make documents navigable
- Create accessible tables
- Use the accessibility checker within Word to correct errors in a document
- Correctly export documents to PDF
Accessible Materials Made Right#5: Adobe Acrobat Pro (45 minutes)
- Create accessible PDF documents.
- Modify and fix issues within the tag tree.
- Add and create bookmarks and fix broken bookmarks.
- Make tables accessible by using the table editor.
- Use the accessibility checker within Acrobat Pro.
Go to this course, click AMMR: Adobe Acrobat Pro
Accessible Materials Made Right #6: Microsoft PowerPoint (45 minutes)
This course will focus on using Microsoft PowerPoint to create accessible presentations. We will be reviewing some foundational aspects of accessibility as well as addressing slide set up, reading order, the accessibility checker, creating handouts, and more.
- Edit the slide master and insert content placeholders.
- Check the reading order of your slides.
- Place captions in video embedded into PowerPoint.
- Use the accessibility checker within PowerPoint.
- Create accessible handouts of your presentation.
Go to this course, click AMMR: Microsoft PowerPoint
Accessible Materials Made Right #7: Develop Your Plan (15 minutes)
This course will walk you through a series of questions to consider as you, your district, or organization plan for digital accessibility. If you are working as part of a team or organization, those goals and timelines should also reflect input from the group to increase shared ownership and accountability.
- Clarify and identify roles and responsibilities for moving Americans with Disabilities (ADA) Compliance forward
- Identify preliminary resources for ADA Compliance Review
- Consider updates to or the development of a style guide. Do you have one? Does it address ADA Compliance?
- Develop your plan with well-defined goals, timelines, outcomes, objectives, action items, and people responsible
Go to this course, click AMMR: Develop Your Plan