The Weekly Update #10 10/9
October 9th, 2023
Weekly News (Week of October 9th)
Principal Nelson's Thoughts
Need to Know
- Club signups will open on October 17th in SchoolPay at 6pm. Clubs will begin the week of October 30th. Please click here to view the club session offerings.
- Forsyth County Schools will have a district-wide K-12 Online Learning Day on October 19th, which is also a day available for Parent Conferences.
- October 20th is a student holiday.
- Red Ribbon Week is 10/23-10/27. This year we are focusing on "Be Kind to Your Mind, Live Drug Free!" See below for dress up days and more details.
- If you did not prepay or preorder (paper slip) pictures and are having difficulty accessing your child's photos from picture day, please reach out to Kate Hebert at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Cultural Night is October 12th from 5-7pm. Check out this video to learn more about cultural night. We love for you to participate! See more details below in PTO Updates.
- The Literati Book Fair is coming! Get ‘clued’ into the best new books during October 9 – 13 and during Cultural Night. Our online fair is already active. See details below.
- Please see the flyer below to learn more about the Stakeholder Summit, which provides stakeholders an opportunity to learn more about workforce development in Forsyth County schools.
- The Forsyth County Health Department is partnering with Forsyth County Schools to conduct a No-Cost Flu Shot Clinic. Please see details below.
- All ice cream birthday orders must be placed in SchoolPay no later than 4pm on the Thursday before the week you would like to celebrate the birthday.
- Past newsletters are archived on our school website and can be found here
Need to do
- Make sure that you sign up for a Parent/Teacher Conferences. Your child's teacher will be reaching out via email with more information.
- If your student has a Veteran in the family, we would love to honor them at our Annual Veteran's Day Ceremony on November 10th. Please complete this form by November 6th at 11:59.
- If interested, see details on how to order your 7 Mindsets t-shirt here!
- Did you forget to order a house shirt? It’s not too late! Order your child’s house shirt here https://sharonhouse.itemorder.com.
- You're invited to attend Sharon's annual Cultural Night on October 12th from 5-7 pm. We are looking forward to a great night celebrating the diverse cultures and traditions that make up the Sharon family!
- We need families to host a table to teach the Sharon family about what makes your family special. Ideas for table presentation ideas are:
- -food samples and artifacts from another country or state
- -holidays you celebrate such as Diwali, May Day, Mardis Gras, or Indigenous Peoples Day
- -any tradition your family does
- We are also looking for music and dance performances celebrating your culture, state, country, and family traditions. We also welcome performances from family members. If you'd like to sign up to participate or to volunteer at this event, sign up here: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/60B0D44AFAF2BABFD0-44408364-cultural#/
- Whether you present a table or just want to attend, save the date on your calendar. You're not going to want to miss this FREE night of fun!
PTO General Meeting
- PTO General Meeting will be held 15 minutes before culture night.
- Thanks to some eagle eyes that noticed the link didn't work last newsletter, we've extended the discounted yearbook pricing through next Friday, 10/13. Get yours ordered now! CLICK HERE to order
Yearbook Ads (5th graders only)
- Families of 5th graders: want to have a personal message to your 5th grader in the yearbook? Be sure to submit your congratulatory message to them by 11/30/23. Don’t delay, place it today! Yearbook message ads are available for $30/each. You can submit your message here.
- Here is your September Castle Herald Newsletter!
- Here is your October Castle Herald Newsletter!
- Our Literati Online Book Fair is already active at: https://efairs.literati.com/?school=sharon-elementary-school-suwanee-ga. This is where families can go to create an account and a gift card for their child to use at our fair. (We can also accept cash, check, credit card, but please note that no change can be given from a check.)
- Our in-person fair will be held October 9 – 13th. Please contact your child’s teacher about their day/time if you would like to attend with your child. You can also visit together during Cultural Night on Thursday, Oct. 11th!
- We still have a couple of volunteer slots available. If you would like to help, please click the link to sign-up: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/5080F4DACA72CA02-literati1
- Thank you everyone for making our 7 Mindset night a success! Here is a link to order the new 7 Mindsets t-shirt for your students to wear every Mindset Monday! We are taking orders through the end of this week!
- Our October Mindset is "We are Connected!" This mindset encourages students to seek out and maximize positive relationships with people who can help them achieve their dreams. Students will explore the idea of surrounding themselves with people who build them up and inspire them to live their best lives. They will learn to actively seek ways to offer kindness in order to strengthen these relationships! You can encourage your student to find these positive relationships and build their dream team!
- We will be focusing on this mindset at our Cultural Night on Thursday, October 12! We'll show connection to our community by collecting food for The Place! They are in need of cereal, taco kits and canned chicken. Please bring any of these items to the designated table at Cultural Night. We hope to see you there!
- 9- 13-Literati Book Fair
- 10- Ties and Tutus
- 11- PTO Board Meeting: Tower
- 12- Cultural Night 5-8pm (gym and cafe)
- 13- National M&M Day (wear your favorite M&M color)
- 13- End of Quarter 1
- 17- PTO Spirit Night (TBA)
- 18- Report Card Release on Parent Portal
- 18- Family Connect Night
- 19- Online Learning Day (K-12)/ Parent Conferences
- 20- Student Holiday (No School)
- 23- Dress like your favorite community helper
Click to see our School Calendar for more dates throughout the year!
⭐ Shining Knights ⭐
Online Learning Day October 19th
All of Forsyth County Schools will be involved in our first planned system wide Online Learning Day on Thursday, October 19th.
If you are a family that needs a device for your child to complete work at home, please complete the form as soon as possible to see if you are eligible to receive one of our Emergency Connectivity Funds (ECF) Chromebooks. We only have a limited number of devices remaining to be checked out to students. Families who are undergoing financial hardships will be prioritized.
If your application to receive one of these devices is approved, you will receive a follow up email from our ETC, Sara Pritchard with additional steps. If you have questions, please email our ETC at email@example.com
Students are expected to log onto Canvas and complete assignments. You will see the image linked here on each teacher's Canvas Homepage for the week of October 16th to take students to their assignments for the day.