Hazelwood School News
Hwood Pride!!! #Allin4Hwood
Principal Message - October 13, 2016
October is off to a great start! It is hard to believe how far we have come in such a short period of time. I am really impressed by how quickly our students have settled in and have adapted to the daily routines. I am also really encouraged by how hard they are working in the classroom. I am sure their journey this year will be one of great academic and social growth and success!
Just a few friendly reminders:
- Violence Awareness Week kicks-off on Monday, October 17th! See flyer below for daily activities!!!
- Please continue to be safe at morning drop-off. Cars should not stop or stand in the drop-off line/area. If you wish to watch your child enter the building, please move down the street and turn right onto Stout Ave. The goal is to keep the car line moving in a safe and efficient manner. Cooperation is needed by all.
- Preschool parents should park on Hazelwood Ave. or Stout Ave. when dropping off their child(ren). Walking through the drop-off line is very dangerous.
- Please refrain from parking in the faculty/staff lot during morning drop-off and afternoon pick-up. It would be a tragedy if a student or parent was hit by a car picking up their child from school.
- There is no smoking on school grounds.
- Dogs or other animals are not permitted on school grounds.
- Please take a moment to view our Hwood Rocks video! https://vimeo.com/183034667
Thank you for keeping our school community safe!!!
Let's finish October strong!
Hazelwood Elementary School
School Mission Statement
At Hazelwood Elementary School we believe…….
All students can and will learn in a nurturing school environment where collaboration and exploration is encouraged and will foster a lifelong love of learning.
Positive relationships are vital for student success. Our school doors will always be open to assist our families to ensure our students are growing academically, emotionally, and socially.
Hazelwood students will become confident, compassionate, respectful, and committed to making a difference not only in the classrooms and hallways of our school, but in our wonderful community of Middlesex Borough.
- School Climate, District Referendum, and Social Media - https://goo.gl/dLHE65
- Parent Climate Survey - https://goo.gl/OZcDLm
ESL PAC (Parent Advisory Committe) Meeting Flyer - Thursday, October 20, 2016 - 6:30pm to 8:00pm at Middlesex High School
2016-2017 Arrival and Dismissal Procedures
Just a friendly reminder that student supervision does not begin until 8:30am. For parents or guardians that work, the district does offer Before Care which begins at 7:00am and After Care which goes to 6:00pm. The district also offers breakfast starting at 8:10am.
If you would like for your child to attend our breakfast program, please walk your child to the front door beginning at 8:10am and a staff member will bring your child to breakfast. Please click the links below for information regarding Before and After Care.
Before and After Care Information
Earn Those Paw Prints!!!
Overview of the Character Education Program
October Virtue - Respect (Great Parent Information)
School Counselor's Corner
Hazelwood School students celebrated the Week of Respect from October 3rd through 7th. Mrs. Kauffman, Mrs. Blumetti, and the classroom teachers implemented grade level activities that discussed with students the virtue of Respect and maintaining a safe school environment. Students participated decorating their classroom doors to celebrate the week!
Beginning on Monday, October 17th through 21st Hazelwood School will participate in Violence Awareness Week. Our school theme will be: There is a SuperHero in All of Us! School counselors will also discuss with students internet safety. Please click the link for additional information.
Violence Awareness Week Flyer
Email - Kauffmanl@middlesex.k12.nj.us
Monday's and Thursday's
Email - Blumettik@middlesex.k12.nj.us
Tuesday's and Friday's
October 2016 School Counselor's Corner Newsletter!
Cafeteria Point of Sale Debt System
Parents may monitor the account, sign-up to receive alerts for low balances, or block certain purchases (i.e. snack). The money in the account will follow your child throughout their school years. For additional information please review the link below:
Thank you for considering this great service and assisting in an efficient lunch process!
Hazelwood School PTO News
- To assist in communication with families, the Hwood PTO uses Remind. It is a great one way communication tool to assist in reminding families of school activities, early dismissal days, or any other important information.
- To sign-up for Remind please Text - @HwoodPTO to 81010
- Saturday, October 15, 2016
- Flyer Attached: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3RHYhQYQi4zcWVEQmh2Y2xRWTg/view?usp=sharing
Trunk or Treat
- Friday, October 28, 2016 from 6:00pm to 8:00pm.
- Information was sent home via school e-blast.
- For further information or details, please contact the Hwood PTO at: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please join Shoparoo!!! It is an easy way to earn money for our school! Thank you to the families that have signed up!!! For more information please click link...http://goo.gl/bruw13
Got fundraising or event ideas? We want to know!!! Contact us at email@example.com
Mrs. Kauffman and Mrs. Blumetti- Thank you for organizing and overseeing the Week of Respect! Your energy was contagious!
Middlesex Fire Department - Thank you for showing off the fire trucks and discussing fire safety with our students.
Police Chief Geist and Mr. Tony Sasso (from ELKS and Boroughs EOM) - Thank you for attending our Walk Your Child To School Day!!! Your presence was important!!!
Dr. Linda Madison - Thank you for your support of our school!!!
Stay Connected! No Excuses!!!
Follow our school journey on social media:
School Blog: https://hwoodpride.wordpress.com
Library Blog: https://hwoodlibrary.wordpress.com/
School Web Page: http://www.middlesex.k12.nj.us
Please sign-up to receive Honeywell Alerts for school closings or emergencies. Information for signing up can be found at https://instantalert.honeywell.com/
Stay Connected! No Excuses!!!
Important Information and Dates
October Breakfast Menu
October Lunch Menu
Middlesex Public Schools 2016-2017 District Calendar
Schools Are Closed For Students the Week of November 7, 2016. Please plan accordingly.
Dates and Time (Subject to Change):
- Monday, October 17, 2016 - Wear Blue to Raise Awareness of Violence (College Wear Day Cancelled for October)
- Monday, October 31, 2016 - Husky Celebration - 11:!5am
- Monday, October 31, 2016 - Halloween Parade (1:30pm) and Celebration (after Parade in classrooms)
- Tuesday, November 1, 2016 - PTO Executive Meeting - 8:45am - Front Office
- Wednesday, November 2, 2016 - PTO General Meeting - 7:00pm - Library
- Friday, November 4, 2016 - End of First Marking Period
- Monday, November 7, 2016 through Friday, November 11, 2016 - No School For Students
- Tuesday, November 15, 2016 - Early Dismissal - Parent/Teacher Conferences - Evening - Information will follow
- Wednesday, November 16, 2016 - Early Dismissal - Parent/Teacher Conferences - Afternoon - Information will follow
- Wednesday, November 23, 2016 - Early Dismissal Day
- Thursday, November 24, 2016 and Friday, November 25, 2016 - Schools Closed - Happy Thanksgiving!!!
- Monday, November 28, 2016 - Schools Reopen
- Monday, November 28. 2016 - College Wear Day
- Wednesday, November 30, 2016 - Husky Celebration
- Friday, December 2, 2016 - Fall Picture Make-up Day
- Monday, December 5, 2016 - PTO Executive Meeting - 8:45am - Front Office
- Tuesday, December 6th through Wednesday, December 7, 2016 - PTO Event: Holiday Shop - Information will follow
- Wednesday, December 7, 2016 - PTO General Meeting - 7:00pm - Library
- Friday, December 9, 2016 - School Event: Mom and Me Breakfast - 9:15am - Information will follow
- Friday, December 23, 2016 - Early Dismissal
- Friday, December 23, 2016 - Husky Celebration
- Monday, December 26, 2016 through Monday, January 2, 2017 - Schools Closed
- Tuesday, January 3, 2017 - Schools Reopen