March 10, 2014
News to Roar About
- Melanie Cain for great work with technology!
- Harbins teachers for all you have done to support the success of our retrofit! All has gone smoothly and we appreciate your support and flexibility during this time of transition!
- All staff for the outstanding, positive attitude regarding the extended day! Your focus has been on the great things that can happen for students as a result and we appreciate your commitment to excellence for kids!
- Terri Poffenberger for new ways to enrich students' learning through STEM activities!
- Congratulations to April Segars on getting an Assistant Manager job in the cafe at Cooper ES. we are so proud of you and your new promotion! We will miss you!
- Cafe Team for your outstanding work and for keeping such a high level of service to students while being short staffed!
- Katie Walker and Shannon Wiley's classes for the great job your students did in Leadership Academy!
- Thank you to the Grey Team, Chris Rogers, Tamika Beck, Karen Fryer, Thomas Woolfolk, Mike Stanton, Malissa Koblick, Tisha Spain, Cheryl Hall and Monica Johnston. You did a great job and gave the red team a run for the money. The students had a blast! Thank you for making it fun!
- Thank you to the Red Team, Tom Gibby, Shelly Everett, Jennifer Tatum, Kaylee Gulich, Bob Stone, Kim Mitchell, Amber Hayes and Kishina Woolfolk! You made it fun for the kids and pulled it out in overtime!
- The Relay for Life team for all you have done behind the scenes to raise money for Relay for Life!
- Donna Hargrave and Kathy Schmidt for the great job you did in preparing our students for the Readers Rally competition on Saturday! We appreciate your time and leadership to make this such a great experience for our students!
- The Harbins Readers Rally Team for the awesome job you did at the competition on Saturday! You guys ROCK!
- Leigh McCabe Rimpau on a beautiful wedding! Congratulations!
- Kathy Henry for getting all of our ACCESS testing completed!
- Paula Thompson for your prep work of all of the ACCESS testing materials.
- Christy LeMaster for organizing all of the 5th grade writing materials and proctors!
- 5th grade teachers, IRR and support staff for all of your help with a very successful 5th grade writing test administration! We could not do this without all of your help!
- 5th grade students for their outstanding efforts on the writing test!
- 4th grade teachers for an awesome common planning day! Great teamwork!
- Bridget and Chris for your support at common planning with 4th grade! We appreciate your support!
- SIT team for an outstanding meeting on Tuesday! Your leadership is imperative to the success of Harbins!
- Trista Clark and Debbie Davis for a terrific planning session with the administration. We appreciate your work and leadership in math!
Classroom Spirit Award
Revised Report Card Timeline
Reading Recovery Awareness Session
Awareness Session for teachers interested in training to become Reading Recovery or Literacy Lessons teachers. Please see the attached flyer suitable for posting.
What: Awareness Session
When: Monday, March 10, 2014
Where: Benefield ES, 4:30-5:30
Retrofit Reminders and Technology Updates
- Clinic copier is now named 445-Copier-907X
- When you receive your 2 new classroom laptops, they are immediately ready for classroom use. Please let Keith know ASAP if you have any problems.
- Remember to submit a TSR to Keith for tech problems.
- Your new classroom laptops and your new teacher laptop will print to the new black printer in your room. The old printer will now be removed
- New audio enhancement systems for every classroom and new projectors are scheduled to be installed during the last week of March. We will offer more details after that planning session this week.
- Labs are fully operational and available for use during CQI and other times of the day.
- As we continue to integrate technology across all grade levels and subjects, more and more great digital work is being created every day at Harbins. Chris is always looking for great digital student samples to share on our website, our technology page, and with other teachers and LSTCs.
- If you have any digital student work (a link, embed code, photo, video, etc. - no last names, please!) you would like to share, please fill out this short form (also posted on Harbins Technology Central front page) so Chris will have a record of it.
- Chris will change out the student work on the front page of the Harbins website every two or three days, so tell your students to watch and see if theirs will be next!
Study Island Updates-Welcome to the Island, mon!
- Study Island is here just in time to help you and your students welcome Spring and warmer weather.
- Quick-Start guide (2 pages) to answer all of your questions about login, password, access, etc. was sent by Chris via email last week.
- It will be live for students in grades 1-5 (ALL SUBJECT AREAS) to use on Monday, March 10th. There is also a Study Island folder in Google Drive with lots of documents and resources for you.
Grayson Days Race
- With so many snow days and exciting activities going on in recent weeks, it is a good time to offer reminders to students about expectations. Two important reminders that need immediate support are silent hallways and passports. Please be sure your students are silent in the hallway at all times and that they have a passport when traveling in the hallway without the class. We appreciate your consistent reinforcement of these expectations.
Grade Level Professional Learning
Grade Level professional development:
- March 12 – Grade Level Business
- March 13 – Grade Level Business
- March 19- Science Fair Judging
- March 20- Science Fair Judging
- March 27- Literacy Professional Learning
Upcoming Common Planning - March
Make sure you have turned in your leave request through the Portal for your next upcoming Common Planning day along with your request for a sub through AESOP.
- March 11- 1st Grade
- March 14- 3rd Grade
- March 17- Kindergarten
- March 21- 5th Grade
- March 25- 2nd Grade
GCPS Transfer Process Timeline
For those considering a transfer to another GCPS school, the timeline for that process follows. Once HR sends out the email with instructions, it will be forwarded to certified staff. Please let the administration know if you have any questions.
· March 20 Deadline to accept transfers
Book of Honor
Nomination forms are in the mailroom. You may nominate a student to sign the Book of Honor at any time. Send them to the front lobby after announcements with their nomination form just as you do for handshakes. We will issue a special sticker and certificate when the student comes to the front to sign the book.
Below are the criteria for a student earning the opportunity to sign the Book of Honor:
· The student must consistently on a daily basis exhibit ownership of 7 Habits by:
· Showing use of the habits through their actions, attitude, and verbalizing them.
· The use of the 7 habits should be student initiated, independent, not teacher directed
· The criteria should be used to judge the students ownership of the habits against the individual student, not group comparison
Media Center News
Don't forget to let me know if you need a class set of wristbands if you are reading the Lemonade War as a class. Please send your students to the media center to get their wristband if they are reading the book on their own. Also don't forget to remind parents to let us know if THEY are reading the book - I can give wristbands to the students to give to their parents.
I have a close reading lesson that I created to go along with the book (I think it will work for grades 3 and up). If you want a copy of this please let me know.
Check out what is going on in the Media Center on this Smore Flyer - included is the story time schedule for this month, ideas for lessons and a list of the NEW BOOKS we got in this month - plus a special PRIZE for reading :)
Y'all Come Sessions for RTI and Progress Monitoring
Y’all Come Sessions for RTI and Progress Monitoring
Please plan to have at least one grade level member...all are invited to come to the monthly Y'all Come Sessions to learn more about Interventions and Progress Monitoring for best results. These dates are on the school calendar but wanted to bring them to your attention for your grade level. Sessions will be held in Jennifer Dalton's room next to the Book room. See you at 3:15
· 3/24-General questions about collecting data and graphing-Lee and Herrington
School Improvement Team
The SIT team will meet on Tuesday, April 1st from 1:15-4:00 in the Professional Development Room. The reading assignment from your Teacher As Assessment Leader book is to read chapters 5 & 6 for our meeting.
News to Roar About
We will place “News to Roar About” in the Roar each Monday. It is our hope that throughout the year that you will take time to send us a note to let us know about a colleague who deserves recognition for outstanding work. Please be sure to share your compliments with us so we can highlight those individuals in the Roar. You can email compliments to Cindy Truett or Montine Powell.
Leaders in Learning
A link will be sent to you in March for your Leader in Learning.