Upper Nyack Elementary School SCOOP
News You Can Use! October 12, 2022
If you would like to share your contact information to a grade level parent directory, please complete this PARENT DIRECTORY SURVEY by THIS Friday, October 14. We are partnering with the PTA to make this available to our parent community to help facilitate play dates, birthdays, and other communications.
THIS INFORMATION IS COMPLETELY VOLUNTARY.
UNES TRUNK OR TREAT EVENT - OCTOBER 21 From 5-7pm
Please see the sign up link below! We would love folks to sign up for cars but families can also contribute candy or cold hard cash! You can Venmo the PTA (@UNESPTA) or send in an envelope.
PLEASE KEEP TOYS AT HOME
We are asking that parents keep toys at home. This includes stuffed animals, Pokemon cards, and other items.
If your child needs a fidget or other item, please speak with the teacher. In general, we ask that these items stay home unless some conversation has occurred with the classroom teacher. Even when items are sent to school to remain inside the backpacks, they are taken out on the bus and other places where they lead to conflict.
Please help us by keeping toys at home.
PLEASE HAVE KIDS DRESS FOR THE WEATHER
As the weather gets colder, please send your child with a warm jacket, winter hat and gloves so that they are prepared for the weather. They are only outside for 20-25 minutes but that short time can be incredibly important for their well being.
SEEKING PARENT VOLUNTEERS
- Throne of Celebration Photos (if you're good with an Iphone, we'll supply the camera and the kids. You take photos using our camera and input names. Every Friday (9:30-10:30am)
- Data Input - we need some assistance with inputting parent data for the parent directory. Direction will be given. This can be done at your leisure.
- Organization of our Lost and Found - We need a parent to fold, organize, label and take a photo of our lost and found so that we can try to get items back to their rightful owners. This can be done at your leisure on a weekly basis.
- Reading buddies - want to enjoy an hour of having students read to you while you help them work on sounding out words and comprehension? Join us. (Times/dates to be decided based on the available groups)
- Space Organization - do you have a knack for organizing tight spaces. We have lots of stuff in storage and could use some manpower to get it under control. (Times are at your convenience).
- Assist with a Leadership Club - We are working on launching Student Equity Leaders, Girls and Boys Leadership Clubs, Student Council, Environmental Crusaders. (times to be decided) Parent volunteers would assist a staff member in running the groups.
IF INTERERESTED IN ANY OF THESE OPPORTUNITIES - PLEASE SIGN UP HERE
Fifth Grade Coat Drive
If there are any UNES students/families that are in need of a good winter coat, please contact our guidance counselor, Andrea Perez, at email@example.com. She will help make arrangements to make sure that all of our students have warm coats for the winter.
Equity/PBIS/Safety Team Updates
- Developing some building wide Professional Development opportunities for the entire faculty about race, equity and inclusion.
- Launching a Student Equity Leadership Group for grades 4/5
- Reviewing data to formulate goals regarding school climate and culture
- Creating ways to celebrate our diversity and the heritage of all.
- Creating a mentor/trusted adult program for struggling students (Every Child Needs a Champion)
The UNES Safety Team has been conducting fire and lockdown drills to ensure that our school community is safe. We must have 8 drills completed before December 1. We tested out our new lockdown system with staff and will be practicing it with students on October 13. After October 13, lockdown drills and fire drills will be unannounced to ensure that we are ready to face any challenge. All classrooms are now equipped with grab and go bags with emergency information that is carried at every evacuation drill. Each phone throughout the building now has stickers with emergency contact numbers for quick access at any emergency. As always, this team is working hard to ensure that we are up to date with current best practices in school safety.
Catching students doing the right thing is the best way to instill positive behaviors in our school community. PBIS (Positive Behavioral Intervention and Supports) aims to create ways to build positive behaviors. At UNES, we have the THRONE OF CELEBRATION, classrooms have class rewards systems, and we distribute STAR tickets to students caught doing the right thing. Soon, students will be spending time in their classrooms reviewing what STAR STUDENT BEHAVIOR looks like. In those presentations, kids will watch videos of Mr. Dreves and HOOK the Redhawk, as they demonstrate what NOT to do (and what we often see students doing) so that students can identify what they should do and can emulate positive behaviors.
Mark Your Calendars!
Thursday, October 13 - A Day in the Life of the Hudson River (5th Grade Field Trip) - Depends on Weather
Friday, October 14 - Fire Prevention Assembly with Nyack Fire Department
Friday, October 21 - Trunk or Treat!!
Tuesday, October 25 - Joe Romano - The Magic of Reading Assembly
Tuesday, November 1 - 4th Grade Trip to Wolf Conservancy
Monday, November 7 - Greg Knight - Anti Bullying Assembly