June 6, 2021
Dear Open High Family,
It was WONDERFUL to celebrate students last week at the 2021 Awards Ceremony. Click on the link to view, and so sorry the first part did not get captured. The program is attached below so you can follow along. As I said then, we honor every single student, parent, caregiver, and staff member. Thank you for being part of this special learning community.
Seniors can pick up their awards on Friday, June 11 anytime after 2 pm, but we hope to see you later on for Senior Night from 7:30-9:00 pm for pizza, swag, textbooks/technology return, and teacher goodbyes. All other students can pick up awards and return items on our Last Day of School, Thursday, June 17 from 9:00 am-1:00 pm at Open. This will be a drop by event, and teachers will be there for your summer send off!
Let me extend my sincere apologies if you waiting for SOL Testing on Saturday and were ultimately unable to test. Testing has been especially complicated this year due to Covid. If you signed up for testing on June 12, you need not do anything but show up to the testing site you listed on the RPS survey.
At Open, we aim to continuously improve how we serve students. Please provide us feedback by taking this important Family Engagement Survey. And all students, if you have not done so already, please take this Student Satisfaction Survey.
June is LGBTQ+ Pride Month, and if you missed RPS Live! last week, you missed a great conversation featuring sophomore Felix Hedberg and OHS parent/RPS teacher Rebecca Field. Check it out here!
Congratulations to junior Minx Wilson for her acceptance to Art 180’s Edward Dean Robinson Artist Residency! And congratulations to all our students who participated in the inaugural REAL Richmond class with Chad. We look forward to the showcase this week, and the public is invited (see flyer above for link). Senior Abena Williams and freshman Dublas Aviles will be featured!
Thanks to all those who participated in our Annual Arts Expo & Auction. We raised $2800 for the art department! And finally, thanks to those who came to help with painting over the weekend. See pictures below. IT TAKES A VILLAGE!
Aside from AP exams happening each day this week (see flyer above), here are dates to keep in mind:
- School Board Meeting, Monday, June 7, 6:00 pm streamed on Facebook
- PTSA Meeting, Tuesday, June 8, 6:00 pm @ Open (outside, weather permitting!)
- REAL Richmond Capstone Showcase, Thursday, June 10, 9:30-12:30 pm
- Scholastic Standout Ceremony, Thursday, June 10, 6 pm on RPS Facebook
ECA Junior Drop off/Pick Up Event, Friday, June 11, 12-4 pm by appointment
Seniors Last Day & Senior Night, Friday, June 11, 7:30-9:00 pm @ Open
- SOL Makeups/Expedited Retakes: Saturday, June 12, 8:30 am
- Last Day of School & Farewell Drop By Event, Thursday, June 17, 9-1 pm @ Open
- 2021 Commencement Ceremony, Monday, June 21, 4 pm, 2021
- Summer School Registration Deadline, Wednesday, June 23
Please continue to read for additional announcements as well as our fall ReOPENing Plans which will be updated throughout the summer. If you have any questions, never hesitate to contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org or at 804.229.9961. As always, be well, stay safe, and keep celebrating Open minds!
ALL AP STUDENTS MUST:
- Install the digital testing app
- Practice sample questions in the app
- Complete exam setup 1-3 days before the test FOR EACH EXAM
- Check in 30 minutes before the exam
Watch this presentation if you need help downloading the App. Reach out to Micah (your AP Coordinator), your teacher, or Clary if you are having any difficulty.
- All students are expected to take AP exams.
- Students will take AP tests digitally at home with the exception of *AP Spanish Language.
- Students enrolled in the fall semester will take their AP exam in Administration 2. The exceptions are AP Calculus and AP Statistics.
- Students enrolled in the spring semester will take their AP exam in Administration 3.
- Portfolio submission (AP CSP and AP Studio Art) deadlines are May 20, 11:59 pm (with earlier student deadlines).
NEW! SOL Testing Updates
The final SOL administration date for the school year is Saturday, June 12. Students must have already signed up to take.
Here are a few general explanations:
- An Expedited Retake is limited to students who previously failed an SOL this spring, but received a score of 375 or higher. Teachers have already informed students if they qualify for a retake. Teachers will provide remediation for these students if they choose to retest on one of the testing dates.
- World History I and certain World History II students who received a score below 2 on the in-class, Project Based Assessment can choose to take the traditional SOL assessment in-person OR they can resubmit their PBA during the retake testing window. Teachers have informed students if they are eligible for this. All 9th graders and some 10th graders need a verified credit in History for graduation.
- Students can also sign up for summer remediation and testing through Path 4: SOL Academy in summer school. See below for details.
Tests for Open High students will take place at the site you designated on the survey. Students should bring their charged RPS-issued Chromebook and charger. Masks are required. A light breakfast and a snack will be provided, but students may also bring their own water and snacks. As a reminder, federal and state education departments have not waived state testing as they did last year. Virginia high school students must pass approved tests to earn verified credits for graduation in math, science, history, and English.
NEW! ReOPENing Fall 2021
If you couldn't make it to our ReOPENing Town Hall on Wednesday, May 26, enjoy the recorded version here. We will continue to update the community throughout the summer as plans solidify and guidance changes.
NEW VACCINE REQUIREMENTS FOR RISING SENIORS!
Effective July 1, rising seniors will be required to have the Meningococcal Conjugate (MENACWY). See flyer below.
We will return to our popular Thursday Elective program and want to hear from you! Please complete this survey so we know what you are interested in and so we can plan accordingly.
As most of you know, we don't have a cafeteria, but we are lucky to be close to downtown where there are lots of lunch options. RPS also provides free, grab-and-go breakfast and lunch for everybody. In addition, we are exploring the possibility of partnering with Yay Lunch! which is a food delivery service. See the attached flyer for more info and complete this interest survey so we know if we should pursue this option for our students.
ZONE SPORTS & ACTIVITIES
We encourage our students to take part in activities available at their zoned schools. If you live in the Huguenot HS zone and are interested in football, complete this form today.
HEALTH AND SAFETY
Read about Health and Safety protocols for next year. Open will also have a full time nurse and clinic for the very first time!
Please read Superintendent Kamras' Family Letter and Checklist. RPS is also hosting Community Conversations to ensure families are prepared, informed, and excited to #ReopenWithLove2.0! For all the latest information from the district, subscribe to RPSDirect.