HLES Parent Newsletter
September 15 - October 15 is Hispanic Heritage month.We are celebrating achievements
by Hispanic Americans and celebrating the traditions, ancestry, and experiences of
United States residents who trace their roots to Spain, Mexico, and the Spanish-
speaking nations of Central America, South America, and the Caribbean.
This month is also Bullying Prevention Awareness month. Bullying Prevention
Awareness month was started in October 2006, and is a month of education and
awareness activities recognized by schools and communities throughout the world.
- Picture Day is Thursday, October 4th. Picture forms were sent home in Thursday folders. Please be sure to send your order form back to your student's teacher on or before Thursday morning.
- The MFHS Homecoming game is this Friday. The Homecoming parade is Thursday evening (10/4), and it in a new location. To find out more about the Homecoming parade and events at MFHS, click here. To celebrate Homecoming, HLES will dress in spirit gear on Friday, and we will have special guests at Round-Up.
Celebrate the arrival of fall by decorating a pumpkin as a Storybook Character for our Pumpkin Patch. The Pumpkin patch will be on display in the Highland Lakes Elementary Library from October 22-26, 2018. All students in grades Prekindergarten – 5th are invited to participate. There will be a grand prize awarded for the best Storybook Character Pumpkin in the following category: Prekindergarten-Kinder-1st, 2nd - 3rd Grades, and 4th - 5th Grades. The winner in each category will receive a $10 gift certificate to our Book Fair that will be held November 9-15! More details to come in Thursday Folders on 10/4!
- Every Friday morning, we have Round-Up (our morning meeting). Round-Up will begin at 7:30 am and end at 7:50 am. If your student is a car rider, please plan to bring them to school at 7:15 am on Fridays so that they won’t miss out on any of the fun.
- Red Ribbon Week is October 23-27. To celebrate this week, we will dress up each day as we learn more about the importance of being drug free. Be on the lookout for the themes for our dress-up days - we will send those out in the next few weeks.
- Our annual Trunk-or-Treat is Thursday, October 25th, from 6:30 pm - 8:00 pm. This year, staff will be dressed in characters from our One Novel Read, Charlotte's Web, and we will have lots of community partners participating as well! It will be lots of fun for everyone!!
- Our school day begins at 7:45 am and ends at 3:15 pm. School doors open at 7:15 am for breakfast, and we begin instruction in classrooms promptly at 7:45 am. Please plan to have your children arrive at school as close to 7:15 am as possible so that they have ample time to eat without missing instructional time.
- We ask that parents who drop off their children in the morning do not drop them off earlier than 7:15 am, because we do not have staff available for supervision until that time. You are more than welcome to come earlier that 7:15 am, but if you do, please wait at the picnic tables with your student until our staff is available to supervise.
- Please continue to check Thursday folders for important information coming home. As we continue our focus on literacy, please be sure to read with your student daily and encourage them to read independently as well.
- It is never too late to volunteer! If you would like to be a volunteer at Highland Lakes, please call the office and we will get you plugged in.
One Novel Read
October 1 - MFISD Bond Presentation for community @ HLES, 6:00 pm
October 4 - Fall Picture Day
October 8 - HOLIDAY
October 18 - Model Mustangs, 5:45 pm in Cafeteria
October 19 - End of 1st 9 weeks
October 25 - Report Cards sent home in Thursday Folders
October 22 - 26 - Red Ribbon Week
October 22 - Staff Inservice/Student Holiday
October 25 - Trunk or Treat
October 31 - AR Reading Day - Dress like your favorite book character