20Learn, powered by Schoology
Where Learning Happens │December 10, 2018
Where Are We Now? - The Implementation Update
We quickly approaching the end of our first semester piloting Schoology! It’s been a fast, exciting, and revealing experience. We have learned so much, and know that we have so much more to discover. Thank you for your feedback, flexibility, and adaptability during this process.
We will launch next semester having reached a couple of major benchmarks: the addition of grade passback, and the opening of parent/guardian accounts. Look for more specific information in the newsletter.
- Second semester (S2) / third quarter (Q2) courses will be open this week.
- Parents will have their own 20Learn accounts beginning January 9, 2019.
- Grade passback between Schoology and IC will be available beginning January 10, 2019. ALEC grade passback will ned on January 9, 2019.
- We are working on special roles for Resource teachers and paras. If you need temporary advisor capabilities until the technical process has been vetted, please submit a help ticket to email@example.com.
As we make progress with those features we’ll communicate updates.
Keep in mind that we’re at the beginning of a journey. We have a lot of ground to cover and we’re just learning the terrain. Partner with us by participating, asking questions, and providing feedback so that we can continue to grow. That participation is helping us work to meet your needs.
Second Semester/Quarter 3 Courses
We will be opening up second semester courses this week! That means you will see all your first and second semester courses in your dashboard.
If this view is overwhelming, you can open your Courses Dashboard and rearrange your courses to have your current courses at the top. Just drag and drop to put the courses in the order you prefer.
Have you been looking forward to this? Great! Yes, you can work on setting up your second semester/Quarter 3 courses. You can link your sections, too.
As you move forward, keep the following in mind:
- Semesters are broken into separate courses in Schoology because that’s how they are setup in IC.
- Teachers never lose access to completed courses. When the course/semester/quarter is completed, the course moves into your Archived Courses section. This section might not be visible if you haven’t had any sections end, yet.
- If you are planning on linking sections, do that before you add content. If you link incorrectly, we won’t be able to bring back the content that gets erased.
- You can only link sections with the same course numbers: 1st and 2nd semesters have different course numbers and cannot be linked. You can copy materials from 1st semester to 2nd semester.
- Students will not have access to past courses. For year long courses, please copy important notes from 1st to 2nd semester.
- 4th Quarter classes will be visible for a brief time, but will be hidden after 2nd semester starts.
We will have drop-in sessions to support you in preparing for next semester.
Check with your DLC first. If it's something new to them, contact us. We're here to support you!
Parent Accounts for 20Learn powered by Schoology
Parents will be able to login to 20Learn powered by Schoology beginning January 9, 2019. A District 20Alert that day or the day before will inform them of the login process and what to do if they need help. Once parents login, they will have an introductory course waiting for them. This course will walk them through how to use the platform as a parent. As with courses, parents will not need to associate their children with their account; that will be done for them. Parent associations are determined by Infinite Campus records.
Want to know more about the parent view? Check out the attached guide.
Grade Passback - Moving Assignments from Schoology to Infinite Campus
This is what so many people have been waiting for - grade passback between Schoology and Infinite Campus. January 9, 2019 ends ALEC grade passback and January 10, 2019 begins Schoology grade passback. The tests so far have been very successful!
This is not a totally automatic process. To guide you through the process, we have created a training course in Schoology. That course will become available beginning December 17, 2018.
A couple of important notes:
- Due to the nature of elementary grades in IC, this feature is only available at the secondary level for now.
- Just because we have this ability, doesn’t mean you are required to use it.
Thank you for being part of a successful launch! Here’s what we’ve seen in the last month:
- Over 278,000 total visits
- Almost 4 million page views
- Over 58,000 files uploaded
- Over 66,000 submissions
- Over 8,000 comments posted
Communication is key! When something unusual happens, communicate it to your DLC who will reach out to us if they need additional support. We’re happy to help plus we won’t know what to fix or improve unless we hear from you.
As with any new adventure, there are questions and concerns. We'd love to hear them! Submit your questions, comments and concerns, and we'll do our best to address them in the following weekly newsletter.
Learning Services and Digital Integration Services are partnering with Schoology to develop our training program. You will be receiving online and face-to-face learning and support opportunities.
The first Getting Started with 20Learn, powered by Schoology course is closed. Please send me your hours so that I can log them.
For those that actively participated, there will be a next steps course. More information will be available soon. For those of you that lurked, which is perfectly fine, you will be able to register for the session of the Getting Started with 20Learn, powered by Schoology Spring 2019 course. More information on both of these professional learning opportunities will be published soon.
Do you need instant support? Schoology has an extensive resource collection to help, too!