Week of July 26, 2022
Good Evening Parents,
I am trying to use every minute of the day to get ready for the year (Sorry for the late email). I wanted to let you know that we have been on the search for an Assistant Principal, but we haven't found the perfect fit YET! We will, but I wanted to be transparent in the fact that we plan on starting the year without an AP.
Also, I would like to take a moment to address some questions that I have been getting...
1. When will I be able to see the bus information in "Here Comes the Bus" app?
We do not have the date on that. Please go ahead and get the app and keep checking in. That is the official information AND it will be available on the app before the school has access.
2. Where are the supply lists?
All supply lists are on the website. I wanted to remind all parents that the lists are suggested. Please purchase as much or little as you like. All students will have access to new supplies if they need them. We have many partners to help us stock the classrooms. Don't feel pressured to buy every last thing. Your child will have what they need on the first day of school. To find all school supply lists, please visit our website: https://www.fultonschools.org/hembreespringses
3. Why do I need a parent portal?
Infinite Campus parent portal will give you access to attendance information, class schedule, grades, and other important documents like the Code of Conduct. We need every family to e-sign that they have received the Code of Conduct. That is accessed through your Infinite Campus Parent Portal.
4. Why do I need to complete the documentation for Free and Reduced Lunch?
Our Title 1 status is determined by our percentage of students that qualify for free or reduced lunch prices. We need as many families to complete this as possible. If we lose Title 1 designation, we also lose access to additional funding and other district level supports for our students. The form is available on August 1, 2022.
5. How do I get answers to my questions?
Please start with our school website. There is a great deal of information available on the website that will help you and your child get ready for school.
6. What can my family do if we cannot come to Open House?
We have had several requests for private tours. Unfortunately, I will not have the staff to do this during the week of pre-planning (August 1-5). However, I will be hosting a tour on Sunday, August 7th at 3pm. You do not need to sign up. I will be giving a tour of the building and allow a quick pop-in to see your child's classroom. This may help with easing nerves on day 1.
7. Will I be allowed to walk my child to class on the first day?
Yes, you will be allowed to do this for the first 3 days of school. Given the safety concerns, I am requiring that each parent sign-in at the front desk to walk their child to class. I do understand this will slow things down. Safety is my top priority and I will not waive on this issue. Please bring your ID with your when you enter the building.
8. When will I get my child's homeroom teacher?
Every teacher will be contacting parents via phone during the week of August 1, 2022. We will follow up in email as well. You will not need to go to the school to find a list with your child's name on it. It will also be available in Infinite Campus Parent Portal as well.
I know that is a lot of information. I have also been behind on getting back to all parent emails and phone calls. I will continue to respond, but please know right now they are taking longer than normal because I do not have an Assistant Principal right now.
Have a wonderful night. My own kids told me today that we only have 13 "sleeps" (nights) before we go back to school. That means summer is almost over and we will be back in no time. Enjoy your last bit of summer. I cannot wait to see you all soon!
Hembree Springs ES
Need to meet with me?
CLICK HERE to schedule a meeting
Infinite Campus Parent Portal
If you already have an Parent Portal, you DO NOT need to sign-up again. You will continue to have access to your child's attendance, schedule, grades, and school communication.
Safety Updates and Upcoming Townhall
We have safety practices that are already in place to maximize visibility and supervision. One of the best tools we have is the front door with camera and all exterior doors being locked at all times. We also make sure to keep our gates to the playground locked every day. Here are just a few things that we do:
- Mirrors at the corners of the hallways to help see around the corner.
- Exterior and interior doors numbered to help staff and first responders know which location to enter.
- Safety plan that has been vetted by Fulton County Schools Security and Safety Director.
- Walkie Talkies for all administration and teacher leaders in the building.
- Crisis Go App - a tool to alert all teachers, staff, and district level staff of any type of emergency including fire drills.
This is by no means an exhaustive list. I wanted to highlight a few things we are doing. Please plan on joining me at Hembree Springs ES in the cafe on August 1st, 2022 at 6pm. This event will be recorded and shared out for all parents. We will also have some conversation about volunteer opportunities throughout the year.
Important Dates for August 2022
- Tuesday, August 2 - Safety and Volunteer Townhall Meeting 6pm at HSES (it will be recorded)
- Friday, August 5 - Open House (8 am-2 pm, see below)
- Monday, August 8 - First Day of School (7:40 am - 2:20 pm)
- Friday, August 19 - Spirit Night and Welcome Back Social (5:30-7:30 pm)
- Thursday, August 25 - General PTA Meeting
- Saturday, August 27 - Parents' Night Out (details coming)
All families are welcome to attend during your child's given time.
Bring school supplies, meet your teacher, check out the classroom, hear about Hembree Springs and classroom things for the year, sign up for PTA, get official transportation information, complete registration, get cafeteria and meal information, and anything else that you would need to know for the year!
First Grade: 9a-10a
Second Grade: 10a-11a
Staff Lunch Break: 11a-12p
Third Grade: 12p-1p
Fourth Grade: 1p-2p
Fifth Grade: 2p-3p
Hembree Springs Classrooms - Please enter through the front doors.
You will need to be in the classroom by 5 mins after the given time.
All will EXIT the building through the CAFE.
School Breakfast & Lunch Prices
Free and Reduced Meal Applications SY22-23
This is the best way to get current information!
Things to Know about being a bus rider:
- Students in grades PK, Kindergarten, and First must all have a parent, guardian, or designated emergency contact at the bus stop in order the student to be released from the bus. If one is not there when the bus arrives, the student will be brought back to Hembree Springs.
- Parents should wait in a safe place 12 feet back from the bus door.
- Please be 5 minutes early to the bus stop in the morning and allow for 15 minutes after given drop-off time in the afternoon for the first week of school. Ms. Smith will notify all parents of any delays the first week of school. All buses are scheduled to depart Hembree Springs by 2:30. If we dismiss later than that all parents will be notified via text.
What is the "Danger Zone?"
*The Danger Zone is the 12-foot area that surrounds a stopped school bus. This “danger zone” is the area where your school bus driver might not be able to see you or your child. Twelve feet equals 4 “giant steps” for elementary school students.
We ask that students:
a) Stay away from the most dangerous areas at the front of the bus, around both front tires, at the entrance door and around the right rear tires.
b) Make sure you are always able to see the bus driver when outside the bus. If you can see the driver, then they can see you. You must never go behind the school bus!
c) Be aware of the danger of passing cars that do not stop like they should. The danger may be from cars passing from both the front and rear and on both the left and right sides of the school bus.
- Here Comes the Bus has how-to videos for using the app on a mobile device and a computer.
How do I sign up?
- Download the Here Comes The Bus app on Google Play or the Apple App Store or visit www.herecomesthebus.com.
- Click the "Sign Up" button
- Enter school code: 87428
- Click "Next" followed by "Confirm"
- Complete the "User Profile" box
- Under "My Students," click "Add." Enter your child's last name and student ID number
- Once you confirm you information, you're ready to go!
How does "Here Comes the Bus" work?
"Here Comes the Bus" uses global positioning system (GPS) technology to locate and track your child’s school bus. It is powered by software from Synovia Solutions, who are experts at tracking data, which they’ve been providing to fleet managers across North America for over 15 years.
How much does it cost?
"Here Comes the Bus" is available at no cost to all families. It's free!
Do I need separate accounts for each of my children? Or separate accounts if we all want to be notified separately?
You and your children can access all the information about the buses you need using just one "Here Comes the Bus" account.
Is the information private and secure?
"Here Comes the Bus" uses HTTPS, just like a bank or online store, which means that all communications between your web browser and the site is encrypted and secure. (That’s what the S in “HTTPS” stands for – secure.)
I saw a Student Ridership feature on the app. Does Fulton County Schools use this?
Student Ridership is student-tracking software that can be accessed through the "Here Come the Bus" app. It enables parents to see when their child has scanned on and off the bus. At this time, Fulton County Schools has not decided to offer this option.
Can I view the website in a language other than English?
Yes. The "Here Comes the Bus" program was created by Synovia Solutions, and the company has made the website available in Spanish and French. If your computer is already set to display one of these languages, the website will automatically use the same language. Otherwise, you can change the language by clicking the current language (such as English) at the top right of the web page.
Code of Conduct Update
As a reminder this is our standard practice:
· 1st Offense – Warning – student places cell phone in their backpack.
· 2nd Offence – Cell phone confiscated and held in front office. Student can pick up the device at 2:20 pm at the front office.
· 3rd Offense – Cell phone is confiscated and held in front office. Parent/guardian picks up cell phone.
· 4th Offense – Cell phone agreement student/parent/school.
The school is not responsible for personal electronic devices on school property.