Countdown to ELAR STAAR Workshop
Planning for Authentic & Rigorous Practice
February 28, 2017
March 1, 2017
Meaningful Practice For Developing Proficiency!
During this seminar, experience and create activities and games that target specific STAAR reading and writing processes, skills and strategies. Discover the difference between test review and test practice and how to incorporate both into daily instruction. You will leave with an action plan that maximizes practice time and provides “just right” practice activities and games for each student.
- Goal Setting and Self-Assessments Strategies to keep your Students Accountable
- Using Data to Plan Instruction that is Intentional & WORKS!
- Using Grouping Strategies to Form Groups Focused on Specific Standards Based on Student Needs
- Research-Based Strategies for Guided and Independent Practice
- Differentiated Activities for Targeting Instructional Practice for Readiness and Supporting Standards
- Intervention Plans & Activities for Struggling Students
- Powerful Digital Resources & Tools for Engaging Students in Rigorous Practice
- Figure 19-The Meta-Cognition Strategies
- The 4 C's of STAAR Reading
- Reading Responses with Rigor
- Reciprocal Teaching Tools
- Questioning Strategies
- Research-Based Writing Strategies
- Genre Tips and Tricks
- Understanding Non-Formulaic Writing
- Revision Strategies that Make the Most Difference
- Grammar Instruction Tools
- Games that Review and Provide Just-Right Practice
- Activities for Increasing Writing Quality
- Instructional Strategies that Keep Students Thinking Positively about the Test
- Meaningful Test Taking Strategies
- Avoiding Common Test Practice Mistakes
- Ideas for Creating STAAR Camps and Practice During the Days Leading Up To The Test
- Calendar Mapping & Lesson Planning
Meet The Presenter
Kelly Harmon is a national presenter & author who has more than 24 years of experience working with at-risk students. She presents on a wide range of topics including RTI, technology, reading, writing, and strategies for highly effective teachers. Ms. Harmon works as an instructional coach for schools and districts across the United States. In addition to consulting, she also works with the Bureau of Education and Research, as well as Learning Sciences Marzano Center.
Randi Anderson is an elementary educator, blogger, and staff developer. She taught third and fourth grade at Title I schools in the Fort Worth area. Before entering the classroom, Randi studied early childhood education and English as a second language at The University of Texas at Austin. Reading comprehension is her Jam! She has a passion for making learning authentic, engaging, and rigorous for all. Ms. Anderson has been presenting for Kelly Harmon & Associates for three years.
Countdown to STAAR Workshop for ELAR
Tuesday, Feb. 28th, 8:30am
825 North Watson Road
The Location is the La Quinta Inn Arlington Six Flags
(This location is different than previously advertised)
Registration Begins at 8:00am
Morning Session: 8:30am-11:30am
Lunch on your own
Afternoon Session: 12:30pm-3:30pm
Wifi is provided
We encourage you to bring an iPad or laptop.
6 Hours of Professional Development
RSVPs are enabled for this event.
$199 per participant
Principals attend for FREE with registration of 3 or more teachers!
10% discount for groups booking 3 or more! ($179.10 per person)
You can register by faxing, Calling, or Emailing your registration form in.
Purchase Orders are accepted.
Please Make Checks or Purchase Orders out to Kelly Harmon & Associates.
Call (817) 583-1290
Fax (972) 369-7327
For more Information Please contact us!
"Very meaningful seminar! Being able to apply a hands on approach where students are able to take ownership in their learning across the content is great!" -Corina G.
"Best one yet! Loved it! Great resources & strategies!" - Lindsay T.
"High energy, interesting presentation! Very useful information and materials!" Luis P.
Check Out Kelly Harmon's Book!!!
Kelly Harmon & Robert Marzano teamed up to write Practicing Skills, Strategies, & Processes. The book is part of the Essentials for Achieving Rigor Series.
Practicing Skills, Strategies, & Processes: Classroom Techniques to Help Students Develop Proficiency explores explicit techniques for mastering this crucial strategy of instructional practice. It includes:
- Explicit steps for implementation
- Recommendations for monitoring students’ ability to develop fluent thinking
- Adaptations for students who struggle, have special needs, or excel in learning
- Examples and non-examples from classroom practice
- Common mistakes and ways to avoid them