Endangered Giant Pandas
Created by the Best: Marili Renteria
They are bear like in shape with striking blacks and white markings. Even though they're called "Giant" Pandas they are really not that big, it would take about 40 giant pandas to weigh aa much as an elephant. Adult giant pandas have a length of 160 to 180 cm (5 1/4 to 6 ft.) The weight of an adult male panda is normally between 80 to 125 kilograms (176 to 276lbs.) with males weighing about 10% to 20% more than females.
The giant panda's habitat is on the mountains edge of the Tibet-Qinghai Plateau, Central-West and Southwest China. Giant pandas mainly live in Sichuan, with a few populations in Shaaxiand Gansu.
A panda's daily diet consists almost entirely of the leaves, stems, and shoots of various bamboo species. Bamboo contains very little nutrition value so pandas must eat 12 - 38 kg everyday to meet their energy needs. But they do branch out, with about 1% of their diet comprising of other plants and even meat.
- Food web- Jackel and snow leopard feed on pandas
- Giant pandas reach sexual maturity at 5.5 to 6.5 years
- Mating season is in the spring between March and May
- Gestation takes about 95 to 160 days and pandas normally give birth to a single baby (twins seem to be more frequently in capvity, when artificial insemination is used)
- The reproductive rate is about 1 young every 2 years