SLP Superintendent's Newsletter
Week of December 17, 2018
SUPERINTENDENT PATRICK JENKINS
Congratulations to the Northwest High School Girls Basketball Team for winning this year’s Annual St. Landry Parish Basketball Tournament.
Congratulations to the North Central High School Boys Basketball Team for winning this year’s Annual St. Landry Parish Basketball Tournament.
Also a big thanks to the Opelousas High School Basketball Coaching Staff as well as the Administration and Community Members for putting on a first-class tournament!!! All of our parish basketball programs conducted themselves in a very professional manner. Thank you!!
Quote for the Week
Things to review as the semester comes to an end.
- Grades (Report Card)
- Review the Pupil Progression Plan (PPP) with all staff before the semester ends
- Ensure that teachers have enough grades to justify the grade students will get for the nine-week period and semester.
- Please ensure that each teacher's grades are correct and that you have comments for any “D” or “F” grades JPAMS
- No incomplete grades on the final report card
- Please schedule conferences as soon as possible to address any concerns especially Ds or Fs and semester failures. Please ensure that you are discussing Promotion In Jeopardy (PIJ) with parents and documenting all interventions.
- Discuss with your school cluster dates that report card will be mailed or sent home
- High School Only - Ensure that all students that have failed for the semester have been identified and scheduled for credit recovery in January. Send Mrs. Cassimere all documentation for enrollment for their online courses.
Updated Documents - Be ready to share these with me and/or Mrs. Angela Cassimere.
- At the end of the semester be prepared to discuss and present the following to me and/or Mrs. Cassimere:
- Action Plan for the spring of 2018
- Attendance Data for students and Teacher
- See Mr. Robinson or Tricia Thomassee for assistance
- Discipline Data (see Mr. Robinson for assistance)
- # of ISS
- # of OSS
- The primary type of referrals
- Academic Data
- High Schools
- Graduation Rates, Strength of Diploma, etc.
- Growth to Mastery Data
- # of Students on track to graduate at the end of 9th grade
- Be prepared to discuss a specific plan of action for LEAP 2025 areas of concern
- Subgroup data
- Accountability Tracker Data updates for 2018-19 (see Mrs. Cassimere for an updated copy, if you don't have it)
- Data for incoming 10, 11, 12-grade students
- I will need all freshmen input into the tracker
- Elementary schools (pk-8)
- DCAI data
- # of classes with Carnegie units awarded
- Students on track (age, academic, etc.) to complete 8th grade and 9th grade
- # of overage students (2 or more retentions)
- # of students at Mastery or above on LEAP 2025
- Growth to Mastery data
- Classroom at a glance
- Be prepared to discuss
- See attached
- High Schools
- # of students receiving SPED accommodations
- # of 504 students
- Sub Group data
- Physical Plant assessment plan of improvement for the summer
- Clean, fix or replace water fountains inside your buildings
- All floors should free on debris and clean daily
- Floors stripped and Highly polished
- Grounds clean and manicures
- Technology Plan
- Identify technology concerns
- Identify # of devices on your campus
- Update frequently
- identity Items to add or delete from the site
- School Finder information review and update
- Have your staff Review Safe Schools for any incomplete or updated training modules.
- if you have any support staff members that need additional training, Safe Schools can provide extra training in the forms of those listed below, to name a few.
- Nutrition Services
- Special Education
Please contact Mrs. Gloria Malbrough if you need assistance.
DIRECTOR OF OPERATIONS - CLAUDIA BLANCHARD
Refer to the Christmas Shutdown Checklist and make sure all precautions have been taken and all buildings have been secured for the holiday shutdown. Monitor weather for any necessary adjustments in temperature settings.
Happy Holidays to ALL!!
DIRECTOR OF FINANCE - TRESSA MILLER
1. Fixed Assets- revisit the process in the FAS manual for stolen items (Pages 4-6) and complete/submit the necessary forms in a timely manner.
2. Monthly Bookkeeping Reports – should be reviewed by principals monthly, approved and submitted to Angie Marks. Please make sure November 2018 reports have been approved and submitted before leaving for Christmas break.
3. All bookkeeping should be up to date before leaving for Christmas break.
a. When we return we will begin working on vendor 1099s.
b. Please have your bookkeeper review your vendor information.
c. Vendors needing to receive a 1099 should be marked for a 1099 in EPES.
d. All vendor social security numbers should have dashes in them, xxx-xx-xxxx.
e. Please make sure all vendor tax id numbers and addresses are correct in EPES as this is what is pulled to create the 1099s.
f. Also, make sure all payments to vendors have been recorded in EPES as this is pulled to create the 1099s as well.
4. EPES access- Principals and bookkeepers have separate logins to EPES. Please email Angie Marks for help logging into your Principal account if you have not already done so.
5. W-2s will be available on the employee portal on 1/31/19, same as last year.
6. 1095s will be available on the employee portal on 3/4/19, same as last year.
SUPERVISOR OF CHILD WELFARE AND ATTENDANCE JEROME ROBINSON
Reminder: School Health Survey
Starting on Tuesday, October 16, 2018, you will be required to submit a copy of the correspondence/letter that you are using to notify parents when students are in jeopardy of receiving an LA-15 for excessive unexcused absences. The correspondence/letter must be submitted along with the LA-15 form to the Census Department. NOTE: LA-15’s are generated on J-Campus after a student misses five(5) unexcused absences.
SUPERVISOR OF PERSONNEL - MATTHEW SCRUGGINS
Important Information Regarding Payroll
Please inform employees of the necessity to review December payroll on the Employee Portal to ensure accuracy. Payroll will be run early next week and should be available for employees to view by Tuesday afternoon.
In the event an employee questions the accuracy of her/his payroll, please direct her/him to contact the payroll department immediately. In the event an employee needs to visit payroll to resolve a payroll matter, please work with that individual to accommodate the need.
Any and all December payroll inquiries must be addressed on or before Thursday morning by 10:00 a.m.
If there are any questions regarding this correspondence, please contact me.
Online Adapted Physical Education Add-on: summer 2019 cohort
Requirements for Certification: (https://www.teachlouisiana.net/Teachers.aspx?PageID=12311128)
1. A Valid Type A, B, C Level 1, 2 or 3 Louisiana certificate in Physical Education (the candidate is responsible for assuring that all requirements (courses and certifications) for Add-on Adapted Physical Education are met and should apply as directed in the link above).
2. Courses offering area as follows: (Lesson Implementation Required at home or nearby school*).
a. Introduction to Physical Education with Handicapped Individuals (Nicholls course HPED 393. Introducing Physical Education for All Children with Disabilities offered summer 2019, WWW format full term).
b. Behavior and Educations Impairment and PE (Nicholls course *HPED 494. Behavior Impairment and Physical Education offered fall 2019, WWW format full term).
c. Chronic Disability and PE (Nicholls course *HPED 495. Chronic Disability and Physical Education, offered spring 2020, WWW format full term).
d. Physical Educator Curriculum for Handicapped Children (Nicholls course HPED 496. The Physical Education Curriculum for All Children with Disabilities, offered summer 2020, WWW format full term).
Steps to enrolling in these courses at Nicholls State:
- Go to www.nicholls.edu/admission/apply to complete the application for summer 2019. Please complete your personal information and then choose the appropriate application type and major:
- Graduate School: PSYC/EDUC then Non-Degree Seeking
Undergraduate School: Visitor Status or presently enrolled in HPED see your advisor
SUPERVISOR OF STEAM - THERESE ELLENDER, Ed.D.
Communities that Care Youth Survey (CCYS)
You may have already received materials for your school containing 2018 surveys from the Communities that Care Youth Survey (CCYS). If not, Mr. Boudreaux will dropping them off to you before we break for the holiday. We would like for you to get this information to your English departments ASAP so that they may plan their lesson accordingly.
We are planning to place a notification on the parish website to notify our parents and the community. We hope that each of the schools will include a link on their sites. The week before the survey, we will send out a J-call to all parents.
Find attached a letter for our teachers who will administer the survey, along with a parent notification form. You may also copy and send this form home to parents, but it is not necessary. PLEASE GIVE EACH OF YOUR TEACHERS A COPY OF THE TEACHER LETTER BEFORE THE BREAK SO THAT THEY MAY PREPARE FOR THE LESSON.
It is imperative that we complete and mail the CCYS by FRIDAY, JANUARY 18TH. Project coordinators for each school should be guidance counselors or English department heads and can contact Mr. Brent Boudreaux (337-344-3400) if they have any questions. Surveyors will realize the following:
1. The surveys are for 6th, 8th, 10th, and 12th graders
2. They are anonymous
3. Passive consent notifications (no signature required) will be posted on our website, and should be linked on yours as well.
4. All surveys must be collected (even blanks)
5. Teachers will be notified if a student wishes to opt out, and an alternative lesson must be given.
6. Time is of the essence, so we ask that you complete the surveys January 8 - 10, or 15 - 17
7. Mr. Boudreaux will drop off, and pick up the materials.
Follow the link for more information:
We apologize for the delay, but please understand this survey is of the utmost importance for our children and our schools. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
New: PSAT Scores Now Available
New: 2019 Jump Start Convention
The 2019 Jump Start Convention is scheduled for January 29, 2019, at the Baton Rouge River Center. Registration is open through January 2.
The theme for this year’s convention is “Stronger Pathways. Stronger Credentials. Stronger Future.” Sessions will focus on a variety of topics from building relationships with industry, CTE Leadership Academy, Jump Start scheduling, Jump Start Summers, STEM Pathways, and others.
Supervisor of Instruction, School Choice, & School Improvement - Trina Preston
Reminder: Parent Guides to 2018-2019 Assessments Now Available
● Parent Guide to the LEAP 2025 Tests (3-12)
● Parent Guide to the ELPT
● Parent Guide to the LEAP Connect
● Parent Guide to LEAP 360
Translated versions in Spanish, Arabic, and Vietnamese are also available for all guides
Reminder: LEAP 2025 Practice Test Webinar for Teachers/Supervisors
● Webinar Date and Time: January 9 at 11:30 a.m
● Webinar Link: https://ldoe.zoom.us/j/993597977
● Webinar Phone Number: 669-900-6833
● Meeting ID#: 993597977
Teachers and Content Supervisors
● Webinar Date and Time: January 9 at 4:00 p.m.
● Webinar Link: https://ldoe.zoom.us/j/175295115
● Webinar Phone Number: 646-876-9923
● Meeting ID#: 175295115
Please contact email@example.com with questions.
Social Studies Practice Test
SUPERVISOR OF PREK PROGRAMS/HEAD START - JUNE INHERN
New: Feedback Survey on 2018 School and Center Finder Results
INSTRUCTIONAL TECHNOLOGY FACILITATOR/WEBMASTER TRICIA FONTENOT
Editable Compass Observation Form
PERSONNEL FACILITATOR - GLORIA MALBROUGH
Safe School training has been open for those employees who have not completed the Mandatory Training. The site is opened from December 11, 2018- January 31, 2019.
Thank you! Happy Holidays!