Comparison of World Religions
- Confusius's followers collected his ideas and teachings in whats called the Analects after that his teachings became Confucianism.
- Confucius started Confucianism
- They don't have a god, but they believe in the Internal Nirvana like the Buddhists
- Basic beliefs: People are naturally good, Being polite is important, Respect your elders, Worship your ancestors because they provide you guidance, Education strongly emphasized, Yin and Yang are the opposing forces that keep balance and harmony in nature.
- Confucianism started in Ancient China
- Confucianism has been around for approximately 1000-5000 years
- One thing taught in Confucianism is to love, respect, and care for your family
- Approximately 6.3 million people follow Confucianism
- Confucius taught his beliefs and eventually got followers who then spread his word
- Confucianism doesn't have just one Holy Book. It's has many!
- There are no really important "Holy People" in Confucianism
- There isn't a special organization in Confucianism
- Jesus Christ was born from the Virgin Mary.
- Christianity developed out of Judaism
- Christianity has one god. Jesus Christ
- Basic Belief: you have to be asked to be forgiven of your sins to be accepted into heaven ( which offers you eternal life) instead of going to Hell ( which is eternal suffering)
- Christanity started in Judea ( Now known as Israel)
- Christianity has been around for approximately 2000 years
- One story in Christianity is the story of David and Goliath.
- Approximately 2 billion people follow Christianity
- Jesus was on earth and healed people and did stuff in front of them. Then people told other people about it and it spread
- The Holy Bible is the Holy Book in Christianity
- Preachers and Ministers are the holy people
- There isn't a specific organization in Christianity
- Buddhism started when Buddha started teaching the path to enlightenment after he himself was enlightened under a Bodhi tree after renouncing his role as prince
- Buddhism was started by Buddha Shakyamuni
- Five major beliefs are:
- The Buddha is the only Master.
- take refuge in the Buddha, the Dhamma and the Sangha.
- Do not believe that this world is created and ruled by a God.
- Purpose of life is to develope compassioN
- Accept the Four Noble Truths
- Buddhism started in India about 2500 years ago
- In Buddhism it is taught that everything changes and it changes for a reason
- 500 million to 1 billion people follow Buddhism today
- Buddhism has Sutras which are things that Buddha Shakyamuni said and taught
- The holy people of Buddhism are Monks
- The organization structure of Buddhism is:
Ponchin lama( successors)
Monks and Nuns