Team One Newsletter
Week of 10/7-10/11
The First 9 Week Grading Period Ends on Friday (10/11)
Elks Essay Contest
MFAM Essay and Art Contest for Military Students
Emilia Walsh - Science
Next week we will:
- Climate Change: Greta Thunberg Ted Talk - Quiz and Socratic Seminar (students will analyze the transcript, choose a stance on the matter, have a class conversation prompted by a series of questions.)
Last week we:
- Natural Hazard Research Report (students chose a natural disaster, researched it, and organized their findings into a presentable report.)
Meaghan Harriott - Language Arts
This week we will be writing and editing our Steve Jobs essay about which character traits are needed to be successful.
Last week we learned about character traits and began to plan our essays.
This week we will:
Meri Miller-Kahle - Special Services
Now that we are at the end of the first 9 weeks, our team has a pretty good feel for the students who still need assistance in developing their Executive Functioning skills....all of them! They are 6th graders and obviously still developing in all areas! These skills are our priority in middle school and especially in 6th grade. In the next quarter, I will give some tips and pointers on how you can assist your student in improving EF skills, at home and at school.
Executive Function is the part of development responsible for:
- Paying attention.
- Organizing, planning, and prioritizing.
- Starting tasks and staying focused on them to completion.
- Understanding differing points of view.
- Regulating emotions.
- Self-monitoring (keeping track of what you're doing.)