A WORD TO THE WISE...
*KINDNESS WEEK - With it being the week of Valentine's, Kara is launching "Cultivate Kindness" week. We are asking all staff members to be on the lookout for acts of kindness done by students. Each teacher has 10 certificates in his/her mailbox. When you catch a students doing a random act of kindness, please fill out the certificate with the student's name and what they did. Turn it in to Kara's box. We will announce their name on the morning announcements, give them a certificate and a treasure tower token.
* TOY/HOY - Announcement will be made on Monday about 9:30 so that everyone is able to watch. We will interrupt as soon as everyone is in class for the announcement so be prepared.
* BEHAVIOR - We are all noticing that unacceptable behaviors are on the rise. Please take a few moments daily to remind students of expectations. Remember, we've talked before that losing a few minutes of instruction to reinforce expectations causes us to have extra time on the end because we are not constantly dealing with behavior issues. If you need help, please do not hesitate to contact the front office and ask for someone to come. If Kara and I are both tied up, someone will come and we will handle the situation as soon as we are free. Statistics show that complimenting students on their good behavior reduces the amount of misbehaviors overall.
*DONUTS WITH DAD - Donuts with Dad will be Thursday. Students will be sent directly to classrooms at 7:35 if they do have a parent with them. No first grade CTT or active start that day.
*VALENTINE'S DAY - Special day of jeans with your favorite Valentine's Day shirt. If you don't have one, a red, white or black shirt will be fine! Celebrate the day!!!
* VALENTINE'S DAY BAGS - Don't forget to take a minute or two and drop some kindness notes in the staff Valentine's day bags.
* CLASS VISITS - Kara and I are going make it our goal for the rest of the year to be out and about throughout the day visiting classrooms. It was recommended during team leader that we hand out Treasure Tower tokens to one or two students in each class that are doing a good job. Please allow those students to come to the office at some point after they are given the token. If this becomes too disruptive or causes other children to "meltdown," please make us aware of that and we will leave the tokens on your desk and you can hand them out later.
*CORE TEAM - We will meet on Monday.
* BIGGEST LOSER GROUP - Don't forget to weigh in on Monday!
* STAFF DEVELOPMENT FEBRUARY 18 - We will have a guest speaker with us on Monday, February 18. The specific schedule will be coming but half the day will be with the speaker and half the day will be dedicated to TELPAS testing.
* TELPAS - Begin collecting sample #1 this week. Remember the topic is basic descriptive writing and everyone in the grade level must use the same prompt. These will be done in the bookroom by the following Monday.
*TUTORIALS - If you are not participating but are willing to sub for those teachers who are, please let Rachel Miller know.
SEEDS FOR GROWTH:
Specials Teachers - for doing the marque for Becky!
Kathy Wolff - for taking one of our 3rd grade buses when we had tutoring and were short on runners. - Macy
Becky Playfair - for helping me out with my grad school program and with a student situation today. - Macy
Karen Boren - for doing so much for our math team today. - Macy
Goals for 18-19
2. Starting in January, teachers will focus on aligning two anchor stations with current learning in the classroom.
3. By the end of the school year, reading and writing teachers will be trained in the conferring process and create their own documentation of conferences.
9 - IMPACT Guest Speaker
11 - Site based team meeting
12 - 4th writing benchmark - flip schedules with 4th and 2nd
13 - Tami to Principals' Meeting
14 - Donuts with Dad and Valentines' Day parties
15 - Tami Eldridge's birthday
18 - Staff Development Day - student holiday
19 - Board Meeting recognizing OR feeder zone
20 - Math coach visits planning sessions
21 - Chocolate Sales Kick Off
22 - Go Texan Day
22 - PTO Luncheon
22 - Poster Method
22 - Susan Hoffman's birthday
22- March 8 - Chocolate Sales
25 - Faculty Meeting
26 - Tami out to Principals' Meeting
27 - Board Field trip to ORE
27 - Lisa McGarrah training for Mimeo
28 - Bilingual coach visit/Felix Rodriguez's birthday