Links to Literacy
LINKING EDUCATORS TO LITERACY - HSSD 2015-16 - Vol. 12
Writing Implementation Team Update
- The materials in the Schoology group were updated. Additional resources will be continually added to the course (Contact your grade level representative if you would like to share resources for consideration.)
- Expectations for the 2015-16: use writers workshop structure, administer on demand writing prompts before and after each unit, score writing using Units of Study rubrics, follow the mini lesson format to instruct, and teach each unit once
- Expectations for 2016-17: all of the above with the addition of refine conferring using checklists and goal setting
- A proposal is being written to include the mid-score of .5 to grade writing (more information to follow)
- Further need for professional learning for grade level teams to communicate was identified
For more information, contact your grade level or school representative.
Foundations Class Information
Upcoming Professional Learning:
June 13 or August 15
Audience Focus K-8 ELA (7-8 Content Area) Teachers, Special Education Teachers, ELL Teachers
We are hopeful we will be able to offer this for credit.
Participants will gain an understanding of the HSSD literacy vision and mission supported by foundational information and practical applications for district literacy instruction. Attendees will review the ELA Common Core State Standards and investigate best practices in comprehensive literacy. They will dive deeper into the informal and formal assessment methods used in the Howard-Suamico School District and learn how to use standards and assessment to plan instruction. In addition, participants will learn the essential components of the HSSD literacy plan, as well as receive an introduction to the planning and instructional formats articulated in the literacy plan (i.e.: Universal Design for Learning, Gradual Release of Responsibility, Balanced Literacy Framework, Writer's Workshop) for improving student achievement in an English Language Arts literacy block.
- The course will meet face to face on Monday and Wednesday. Tuesday and Thursday is online. Friday is optional for one-on-one coaching appointments.
- Please note there will be two follow up dates that will occur during the school year. Plan to attend these dates as well.
- Sign up in MyLearningPlan to reserve your spot.
HSSD: Units of Study Book Studies
Units of Study Resource Location Update
Due to teacher request, the Lucy Calkins Units of Study resources have been moved to a Schoology GROUP called: HSSD Writing Units of Study. The Access Code to join is N2BBJ-W5B2K. The materials can be found by clicking on the resource tab found along the left hand side of the group page.
Teachers will now be able to export the materials into their own courses from the resources in the group. This also allows for automatic updates and allows access to materials through the summer and beyond.
2015-16 Units of Study Expectations
Rubrics: All grade levels will use Lucy Calkins' rubrics to score all areas (e.g., conventions, structure, genre).
Grading: Each unit will be taught and assessed at least one time this year. Use post on-demand assessment data and consider other important aspects of student writing to inform grading decisions (e.g., notebook entries, drafts and publications).
Report Cards: Writing standards can be aligned to follow Units of Study program.
*This is year 1 of a 3 year implementation.