REaCH eNewsletter - Vol. I, Issue 1, October 2017
This e-newsletter is one of our new additions for this year. We hope that it will be a valuable source of information for REaCH families throughout the year. Each new issue will be posted on the school's website and Facebook page. If you would like to receive the newsletter via email, please click the "Follow" button on this or any issue to sign up with your email address.
Have a wonderful 2017/2018 school year!
~The REaCH Faculty & Staff
Red Ribbon Days Coming Soon!
The following Fridays have been set aside for Red Ribbon Spirit Days.
- Friday, October 6th Nerd Day/Character Day
- Friday, October 27th Twin Day
- Friday, November 3rd Meme Day (appropriate for school)
Those who participate in all three days will be entered in a drawing for a $25 gift card and free entrance into the REaCH Winter Dance on November 17th. Make sure you are seen by an SGA member for each of the three Spirit days so we can note your participation.
Mark your calendars, get creative, dig through your closets, and show some school spirit!
A Look Ahead for the Class of 2018 and Senior Parents
- Tuesday, Oct. 3, 4-6 p.m., Distance Learning Room: FAFSA Night for senior parents and students - The ICC Financial Aid Office staff will provide one-on-one assistance for REaCH families in filling out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) that is the required first step for all college financial aid. (Students and parents should attend together and bring the student's MacBook or a personal laptop, as well as their 2016 tax return.)
- Oct. 28-Nov. 24: NC College Application Month - Specific details and activities will be announced.
- Senior House: Periodically on Fridays (as needed), these are formal, required meetings during which important information about college applications, graduation, and other topics is provided to support our students in a smooth graduation process and transition to their next life stage.
- Academic Team (Sponsor - Ms. Ledbetter): The REaCH Academic Team competes in at least two events each year, including the County Championship and the Isothermal Senior High Challenge each spring. The team prepares with weekly meetings on Mondays, 3:00-4:00 p.m. We are looking to grow and are currently accepting new team members! See Ms. Ledbetter for additional information.
- Art Club (Sponsors - Ms. Anders, Ms. Powell)
- Conservation/Recycling Club (Sponsor - Mr. DeCaprio)
- Culture Club (Sponsor - Ms. Laughter): It's been a GREAT semester so far with the Culture Club! Already this semester we have had a guest speaker from Dominican Republic and a field trip to the amazing Chinese Lantern Festival at the Daniel Stowe Botanical Garden. We look forward to hearing and seeing more culturally relevant things throughout the rest of the semester. On that note, upcoming Culture Club meetings are: Oct. 10, 2:45-3:45, guest speaker Michael Delgado (Mexico); Nov. 3, 1:30-2:30, guest speaker Jeremy Jenkins (India); Nov. 14, 2:45-3:45, speaker TBD; Dec. 8, 1:30-2:30, guest speaker Nicholas Tang (Vietnam). If you know of a guest who would be willing to speak on one of our future meeting dates, please email Ms. Laughter with their contact information.
- Fellowship of Christian Students (Sponsor - Ms. Bradley)
- Robotics Team (Sponsors - Mr. Mackintosh, Ms. Anders)
- Yearbook (Sponsor - Ms. Lambert): The yearbook staff works closely with the student body to produce a high-quality, student-centered yearbook highlighting the year's events, student life, and happenings around the school. From the first-of-year trip to Camp Bud Schiele Boy Scout Camp to school dances to graduation, the yearbook captures memories for all four grade levels. Our yearbook publisher, Treering.com, allows students to personalize their yearbooks online, even including two pages that appear only in the individual student's book. Students can also upload pictures to be reviewed for publication in all copies of the book. At only $40, the yearbook is a great value for a quality product. The yearbook staff works to make sure EVERY REaCH student is included. As a bonus, for each yearbook sold Treering plants a tree somewhere in the U. S.!
College Ready Resources for Families
- All sophomores will take the PreACT this fall. The exact date is yet to be determined; the PreACT testing window is mid-October through November.
- As you make travel or other plans for the Christmas holiday break, please be aware that fall semester final exams will be Thursday, Dec. 14 through Wednesday, Dec. 20. The holiday break will begin on Thursday, Dec. 21.
- Receive REaCH announcements via text message! Instructions are available in the REaCH office to sign up for the remind.com service. (Your phone number will not be visible to the school or others.)
- REMINDER: For traffic safety reasons, students should be dropped off/picked up in the Student Center parking lot (below REaCH) only, NOT in the REaCH parking lot on Piney Ridge Road.