Methylmercury Poisoning

By: Jessica Davis and Brittany Anderson

What it is?

A toxic build up mainly from fish, shellfish, and animals that feed off of fish. Humans contract this disease by eating fish and shellfish containing the mercury.


  • Headaches
  • Twitching
  • Tremors
  • Insomnia
  • Weakness
  • Impairment of speech, hearing, and vision
  • Difficulty walking
  • In young children their developing nervous system is effected. It makes it more difficult for the children to learn and comprehend.
  • Children effected:
  • Long term stigmata, motor impairment, vital loss, hearing loss, developmental delay, and seizure disorders.
  • In unborn babies it also effects their developing nervous systems.
  • It affects babies weight, can cause seizure disorders, developmental delay, vision loss, total blindness, and hearing loss.

Pictures of Symptoms

What to do if you think you have this disease and Prevention

  • Consult a doctor immediately if you feel you may have this disease.
  • Clothing should be removed and disposed of, and surgical procedures may be required.
  • Notify the EPA and HOSA to prevent spread.
  • Don't eat shark, swordfish, king mackerel, or tilefish because these contain high levels of mercury.
  • Try to buy mercury free products such as thermometers.
  • Make sure you recycle mercury containing products.